My Phantasy Star Universe thoughts

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Technically, part of it is the expectations were lower with PSO than they are with PSU. PSO is just not as fun to go back to, after PSU. Sure, by the time most people got onboard, PSO had more content to start with. Still, the main fun in PSO was the mechanics, and that's one thing I think PSU trumps PSO in all regards.

The thing is, Sega started off on a slower aspect, with the online mode, this time. They do have the potential to go far with updates, so it's a matter of how fast they can put them out and how long will people wait. I do notice that Sega has already released a client update, though I'm not sure what it does.

On the other hand, I've finally finished the Story Mode (something I wanted to do before I got too far online, so I can concentrate on solely online/extra modes). It's not the deepest story, but it was fun, to say the least. It was also a good sampling of what is to come, in some ways. There's enough techniques to last a good long time, levelling them up. So many techniques that if they are unlocked/online...Forces will have to make choices as to what kind of specialized force they're going to be. Needless to say, you have to choose because you'll seriously hamper yourself if you try to raise all of them together.

I figure, with my guntecher, I'll simply concentrate on buffs with online 1 or 2 light techs. (Resta) and then just the techs needed for buffs. I believe there's 10 techs just for buffs and debuffs and it takes time to sufficiently level each one and go through their evolutions. It's no Neverwinter Nights 2 in terms of amount of things you can cast (what is?), but it certainly isn't a slouch either.

Extra Mode is quite cool, actually. It's a great launchbed to test out character builds before you decide to use them online. In just a few hours or so, you can raise a character to level 20, since levelling is accelerated, so it has quick a nice rewards. (Plus liberal meseta drops). Some of the online rewards you need to combine certain elements for, are earned instantly with Extra mode upon scoring an S-rank on certain challenges. The level limit is high, though. I think it goes to 100, so its has some legs with it. (In fact, I've seen one Extra Mode mission with a level 60 minimum requirement) Still, for the early levels, you can sample some good builds quickly and decide whether they are fun enough to take online.

I also samples Story Mode play, for a chapter, after beating the game. They replace the vids where you normally see the preview of the next chapter, with a different kind of preview. You get a caption for something like Another "coming up" and then the voice actors do a humorous spinoff of the preview to the next chapter. Basically, they make fun of themselves and each other while they announce what to expect in the next chapter. Not a big secret, but still a nice little easter egg.

Anyway, now that I'm done with the story; I can take the time playing this online. (I didn't want to go a year or so without finishing it) Last time I travelled with Magician, I got to sample a few of the new opened areas, and not just the ones on Moatoob. Very nice. Especially since I've played all of offline, it's great to see some truly remixed areas and monster encounters from what I've seen before. Some of the new areas in Parum actually have Low level versions of *late game* monsters mixed into altered area combinations (some from early game). It definitely makes for some interesting sights. Including what some of those beasts look like and do when they aren't so powered up. (Story and Extra mode have some godly beasts in comparison with online, so far).

Last edited:

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Bored? I suppose I'm not as quick to tire from running the same missions over and over again since this is my first MMO game; all I know is that I'm diggin' the hell out of it. You have to keep in mind that a very small portion of the content has been released. Expert Classes, A-S rank equipment, S rank and Guardian Branch missions, new weapons, new armor, special events...there's so much to look forward too, I just can't see how someone could turn away.

Little by little, ST is teasingly releasing new items with every update. Like with this last update I'm finally seeing another ingredient to the Svaltus Sword in player stores, Goldania. Leaking small nuggets like this every update will continue to encourage grinding, I'd think.

I've only run missions with Kirk so far, I'm suprised there aren't more ng.com faithful on board with this. Where's BonusKun when you need him? :annoyed: His life was PSO.

Bah, back to the grind. I've only got 250k bankrolled; I'd like to have 500k by Thursday. :loco: :D

Like the Beatles sang, "Gimme more, hey hey hey, gimme more!"

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
True enough. The only thing that kind of hampers PSU, is that it has humble beginnings. Still, this first update was a nice one and added more areas than I thought they would. In a way, I really enjoy just running through the different areas. Some of the new ones actually give you better rewards than you think, and are great alternatives to doing the old ones.

It is a bit different coming from online RPGs which usually are out a year or so before I join them, so I come in when they've already expanded some. Everquest, Guild Wars, and Asheron's Call 2 were games I came in, at the beginning. I came out of Everquest once other games came out with more satisfactory rewards and results and the magic of the original "community" died.

I typically lose interest when an advanced system (ones with a certain degree of complication, with a low aptitude for *action*) loses the casual Role-playing community and is left with players who don't get in the spirit of their character, and they simply do nothing but geek out the most power-type calculated character frames and just play with that. Something the "way too elite filled" FFXI has issues with. Don't get me wrong, it has fun times, but you're forced to sit around with long boring times as well. Too bad Square can't eliminate all those hours you spend doing nothing but wait, because you have to. They also didn't have the sense to, since it is that kind of MMORPG, make RP servers so that you don't have to deal with such hostile anti-RP people in the game.

To me, that's half the fun, if you're playing any Western-based RPG style of game. FFXI, being Square's first true foray into that area, I can see how some of the JRPG-minded players expect *not* to roleplay in the game, but simply powergame unless the game's storyline limits them. For me, roleplay takes out all the difficulty of making a character when you have myriads of choices, where specializing is key. Thus I craft a character, background and all, which dictates my decisions, builds, and dialogue choices (if needed). So instead of *what the heck should I do?* I simply know what *this* character would pick. Heck, I don't play any Western RPG any other way. Interweaving your own story with theirs is always nice, and always super deep (if the story itself is worth its salt). Those are generally the only systems that truly allow you to do such things.

Magician

20 Year Member
Here's a nice price guide for future shopping purposes.

For me...

7* Stuffs
Daggerx1
Twin Daggerx1
Handgunx1
Cardx2
Wandx2
Armorx1

Total = 840k.

Ouch. Mammy!

Last edited:

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Yep. Definitely shop at the player stores and see if you can get mad discounts. Particularly since there's a convenient printable list out there, many will have to discount the items. (Particularly since it hardly cost them to craft the item, except just getting the usual drops (at their level)).

Technically, since you do have a very nice upgraded PM, you might find it quite useful to open up a shop and put your PM to work.

By the way, have you seen any of the Metal or Ore converters online? It's something I've seen in extra mode, and it's really neat. There's synthesis chips which you can put in your PM, which can convert metals or ores, or the like (depending on which the converter you have) to the next rarity level of that metal, ore, etc. Basically, it takes a number of the lower rarity (often 3) and it'll make 1 of the next higher up. Most PMs should have a 100% success rate with the converters, too. The bad thing, they only can be used about 10 times before you have to get another converter.

It's a great thing when you seem to have a ton of 1 type but nothing in another, and you need that other one to synth what you want. However, I haven't seen this online yet, but Extra mode has them.

Last edited:

Magician

20 Year Member
The problem is you're gonna see very few 7* and higher items in player shops since those boards 7* and higher only have one use. I figure it's better to spend 90k per weapon on a sure thing rather than 60k on a board and X amount of materials on an item with 30-40% failure rate. Besides, once the PM resteta is available I'm building mine back from the ground up to a 100% Striking PM, so no synthing for me for a while. The other conversion boards should be released with the update too. Par Ebons, Neu Ebons, and Mot Ebons are going to flow like water.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Actually, I wasn't talking about you Synthing your own weapons, to get them. I know about the Bird in the hand is worth Two in the bush, thing. I was actually talking about just plain Selling junk from your PM. There's lots of money to be made, as long as you stay competitive. (Or at least, beat the NPCs store selling prices by a decent percentage).

That way it wont feel like it's costing anything to buy your stuff. You'll be using OPM. (Other Peoples' money) You need to channel your inner Devito! :) :)

Magician

20 Year Member
Kirk Foiden said:
Actually, I wasn't talking about you Synthing your own weapons, to get them. I know about the Bird in the hand is worth Two in the bush, thing. I was actually talking about just plain Selling junk from your PM. There's lots of money to be made, as long as you stay competitive. (Or at least, beat the NPCs store selling prices by a decent percentage).

That way it wont feel like it's costing anything to buy your stuff. You'll be using OPM. (Other Peoples' money) You need to channel your inner Devito! :) :)

I've been selling usable items at an 80% discount to NPC cost, and synth materials at a 70% discount. There's little wonder why I have had a hard time keeping stock. :D I'd selling 5* weapons like everyone else, but I see a better turn around by just selling the materials. Besides, B rank weapons will go out of style once the update hits, but the need for the materials will always be there.

Magician

20 Year Member
Thursday night/Friday morning is the update baby, w00t!

This is all old news, but we're getting...

Expert Classes
Fighgunner
Guntecher
Wartecher
Fortefight
Fortegunner
Fortetecher
Protranser

Weapons
Card [Neudaiz]
Grenade [Moatoob]
Axe [Moatoob]
Double Saber [Parum]
Claw [Neudaiz]
Twin Claw [Neudaiz]
Laser Cannon [Parum]
Crossbow [Moatoob]

B-A rank (5*-7* & 8* boards) weapons, units, and armor in stores.

Two new SUV weapons.

Level cap increased to 60, and skill cap increased to 30.

Partner Machine Zero device, to start your PM from the ground up again.

10 S-rank missions.

...all I have to say is it's about time. :D :buttrock:

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
I've been there. It's awesome. We got like everything in this update. Ok, not everything; but everything people expected to see.

My character is now a Guntecher and loving every minute of it. The Christmas decorations are up. There's new weapons, new clothes, new room decorations, new wallpaper. New music. And since my character's birthday is coming up, (12/21) it's all festive. ;)

Still, I have nothing to wear that really goes with the Christmas theme. Looks like some new clothes will be in order. Not to mention, with the new class my Gun Bullets frozen at level 20 before, can now continue.

Magician

20 Year Member
Kirk Foiden said:
I've been there. It's awesome. We got like everything in this update. Ok, not everything; but everything people expected to see.

My character is now a Guntecher and loving every minute of it. The Christmas decorations are up. There's new weapons, new clothes, new room decorations, new wallpaper. New music. And since my character's birthday is coming up, (12/21) it's all festive. ;)

Still, I have nothing to wear that really goes with the Christmas theme. Looks like some new clothes will be in order. Not to mention, with the new class my Gun Bullets frozen at level 20 before, can now continue.

To my disappointment, I've heard that Shift/Deband is still not available, is this true? If so, then I may pass on Wartecher for now and just go with Fortefighter to experience the new weapons; the Axe does look kinda boss. As of right now I'm still not that hyped on the the Twin Daggers though I do love single Dagger alot. I'm thinking the combination of Card/Dagger would be very flashy and nice. However, in the end I may still go with Wartecher just to make farming the B-A ranks that much easier, with Resta available whenever I need it. I dunno, decisions decisions.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
No. The Buff/Debuffs are not in yet; however, it was said that they wont be in this update. However, the ability to mix using guns with Techs (plus Resta and Reverser) is a huge boon for me. Heck, I absolutely loved the idea of soloing. Finishing a mission and seeing less than 10 Meseta cost to recharge my weapons. Being able to sell pretty much any (Status/Health) restore item you pick up.

Plus, I'm quickly getting to feel at home with my new Class. That's partially because my playstyle or Role, I've been practicing, falls in line with it. Now I don't have too many techs, as I'm just going to get real powerful in a few. Once Buffs/debuffs come out, I'm all over them.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
THese new expert classes might add some spice. I was gonna do the RA/FO hybrid, but soon discovered after playing a FO that I didn't like FO too much because of the difficulty in aiming techs and the stress of healing all the time. I like just sitting back and poping enemies. It would have been nice to be a RA or HU and be able to support or heal, but I don't think I can grind all the lvls to raise FO enough, so I guess Fighgunner here I come!

Magician

20 Year Member
Well, I gave Wartecher a go and was not impressed. The use of shifta/deband was going to be the main reason for my using the class, but with their lack of availability I've move to full on hunter in fortefighter. This may be for the better since fortefighter can use S rank knuckles and spear, both of which I love. The spear may be the best weapon in the game as it has a photon art for both a single opponent and mobs/crowd control. I'll have to check out claw and twin claw at some point in time, but right now I do not have 180k just to blow on a weapon trial.

Hmm, otherwise I'm busy farming for meseta. I used the PM Reset Device so that I could rebuild and make a 100% striking PM for all those weapons I'll be making. I wonder when we'll be getting the PM alternative model devices. You can check some of the future models over at psupedia; I'm all over the GH-411 model.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Well, I'm enjoying the heck out of GunTecher. I do hear you on the buff/debuff stuff, but for now, I've basically used offensive substitutes until the real (and better) buff/debuff stuff comes out. In this case, Barta and Foie to basically shed off decent amount of health to make taking them down with guns easy. (Kind of like simulating a Defence drop, but with inexpensive easy wand techs (which build back PP fast) instead of using a lot more bullets (more expensive and slow PP build) from the guns.

Take note, I'm using Foie and not Diga. Some will say, Diga is better for damage, but Foie is a lot more accurrate, with not that much lower dmg, all the way through level 10. And a Guntecher only can use up to level 10 techs. So for sake of not wasting techs, Foie is the better choice. Diga is nicer for damage, but if you hit enough percentage less of the time; that extra damage is not only wasted, but you'll do less overall damage over time. At 11, Diga begins to earn its real wings. Before that, Diga is slow travelling with a small hit box, and monsters dodge that like no tomorrow, just by moving around.

Anyway, I'm seeing the inital gain already, just by combining the arts. Mostly in the Meseta I'm not spending as much to refill my weapons.

I'm seriously thinking about learning at least 1 Gi only because my class seems to draw hate like none other. I guess when monsters see Ranger AND Force, the urge to kill a player doubles. :) :) :)

Magician

20 Year Member
Got to character level 52 and fortefighter level 2 before logging off yesterday, w00t! Expert class levels take forever to level; level 10 of the basic class took 150 mission points, just going to level 2 in the expert classes took 400, with the move to level 3 taking 500. I like it, yet more incentive to play yet more often. Right now I'm still in the process of farming meseta for PM fewd. My PM is at level 58 now, usually 9-11 levels gained per feeding at a cost of around 30k per feeding. The sooner I get to 100% striking the sooner I can attempt some 8* spears, claws, swords, and knuckles with some acceptable level of success % (I've heard around 60% or so).

I may just hold off buying a new armor until 8* line shields are available in NPC stores, the success % is just too frickin' low for my sanity. Over 250k for a 20% success rate? F**k you very much, ST.

I love the new room remodels and decors, I finally have done away with the red soccer field in favor of the red wine steel, which imo is bangin', actually all the steel versions look very nice. The christmas remodel is spot on, very awesome. Kirk and I both were fortunate to come across noel rappies in the guardian colony mission "fight for food" B rank, and both of us got christmas tree decors. I was very lucky to get two trees so that I could give my brother one to put in his room, a very nice gift indeed.

The beat goes on. I love this game.

Magician

20 Year Member
Oh, dear lord.

Linky

Seems like a nasty glitch is occuring on the PS2/PC side. A "lock up your children and daughters and have the gauge in hand" kind of bad situation. Nasty folks signing into other players rooms, steal their room decors and nuking their level 100 pure PMs down to 0 with PM zero device.

Very nasty. Talk of alot of PS2/PC users jumping to the less hacked X360 version.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Wow! That exploit sounds nasty. I was playing around with the room feature and it's really fun. I went into a friends room and put a bunch of silly stuff in it.

I've been playing for a week now, I'm 28 hours into it with a 21 level beast/ 5th level hunter. I just got the tattoo that changes my guy, he turns into a red beasts and kicks ass. I'm thinking about changing my beast form soon to the defense one, it seems a bit more useful on the bosses.

There is just so much stuff to do in this game. I still haven't even touched item creation, PM development or any of the other classes. I may level up a Ranger class to become a psygunner.

Let's play soon, I hope more people out there ignore the mediocre reviews of this game and get their SEGA love on.

Magician

20 Year Member
I haven't been on the past couple days due to graduating from college and finals/stress recovery (sleep, lots o sleep), but that time has past and I'm ready to return to the PSU grind. I'm currently farming for Neu Wood and Neu Ash for the Neudaiz Light room decor, very nice, but I need 50 Neu Ash to synth it. So, if either you (RB) or Kirk wanna join in on my farming, be my guest. I also think I'll jump back over from a figunner to a fortefighter, after seeing the knuckle's ultimate PA I'm completely sold it being the one-on-one PA of choice, with the Spear's ultimate PA being the badass crowd control PA that it is...makes the switch back all that much easier.

See you folks online...

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Sounds good. I'll be online as well. I'm just about level 36 now. I've passed the 3/4th mark on actually getting my GunTecher to 2.

I had to Zero my PM, but thanks to the great player shops, I already almost have her back up to where she was in just 1 night of play.

I'm still mainly meseta farming with folk and I kind of have 2 groups of posse I'm travelling with, these days. Needless to say, the good friends are here, the expert classes rule, and good times are had. I'm loving this game. :)

Magician

20 Year Member
Here are some vids of a few of the ultimate PAs.

Vids include the PAs for Knuckles, Twin Daggers, Twin Sabers, and Twin Claws.

If you've done the training mission and use an NPC with a spear in your party you know what the first level of the ultimate spear PA looks like.

You can find a partial list of the ultimate PA and their PA fragment costs here. PA fragments are gained by completing any S rank mission with an S rank.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I'll be in America Christmas eve and Christmas and (hopefully) logged on to PSU at some time. Definately want to build some levels and make my beast a bit more beastly. You guys have to explain to me all the stuff I can do with my PM and making items! Let's kill some shit !!

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Hehe. I've been on pretty much every night, this week. Except today. I don't anticipate having time to join in today. On Saturday and Sunday, I wont be able to be on during the evenings as I have two Christmas Parties to attend. I'll probably pop in, sometime during the day, on those two days.

Of course, on Monday, I'm good for much of the day.

Magician

20 Year Member
I'll be on most of the weekend. Yesterday I successfully synth my Light Festival, an 8* room decor that stands taller than a Primative Moatoob Idol and shifts in place as though a light breeze were blowing through my room, very awesome. I managed to farm for the necessary Neu Ash and do several mission poppings for Jao's over at Moatoob. No success at revealing Jao's but I did get enough mats to synth an 8* spear and an 8* dagger; I'll find out if they were successfully synthed we I get home from work in about four hours. /me - crosses fingers