My "Martial Masters" first impressions

DaemoN

Camel Slug
Hello;

I've finally received my "Martial Masters" (chinese version) cartridge for IGS PGM, and I thought it'd be nice to document my first impressions on this game.

[Graphics]

* While they're not high resolution, they still manage to impress. It does not look like an "old" game by any means, because it's far better than your average SNK/Capcom fighters. Please note I'm talking about overall graphic quality, design and effort into making the game look good, not hardware power. If I were to compare it to a certain arcade system, I'd say they are comparable to CPS3. The chinese developers put a huge amount of detail and colors on everything, making the title very flash while still being "discrete", if you know what I mean.

* Sprites are very detailed and crisp. Some of the small characters aren't as good looking as larger ones, but they're mostly great. Character animation is spectacular - Drunk Master's stance makes some SF3: 3s characters look skippy! Backgrounds are gorgeous, but they do lack animation. Top notch work on the artwork, though.

* Character design is pretty decent, and they all have coherent moves. I'm not too fond of the stupid names, though. What 5 year old kid named these folks? Ghost Kick, Master Huang, Tiger, Monk... sheesh!

* The intro is pretty dull/shallow. Could have been much better.

[Sound Effects & BGM]

* Decent character voices, but not as impacting as SF2. Since my game's the chinese one, all announcer voices are in chinese. I've watched videos of the english version of the game, which I liked more. Overall pretty good.

* BGM is nothing memorable, but it's not bad either. Pretty cool tunes, if you dont mind the strong chinese influence / instruments.

* Sound effects are good, and provide a great feeling of impact. No comlpaints here :-)

[Gameplay]

* Game plays like an odd mix of Garou, Real Bout Special, Ninja Master's and Street Fighter Alpha. It feels very "fresh", without any blatant amounts of fighting game cliches.

* Controls are responsive, moves are easy to pull and specials come out very fast.

* Medium lerning curve. There's plenty of moves to master, new combos to discover and differemces tp get used to. You can't buffer moves like you do in KOF, for example, making combos harder to pull if you're a newbie (or if your joystick is crap).

* One player mode = 1 vs 1 (SF2 style)

* Two players moed = 3 vs 3 (KOF style)

* There's a crazy code on GameFAQS.com says "Challenge Fateful Enemy/Level Skip". I've tried that, no idea what it does.

[Last considerations]

* Paid US$ 65 + s/h from ExcellentCom.net. Can't beat that :-)

* Better than most fighting games out there. Period. Looks great, plays great and boasts great gameplay, that's different than the traditional stuff we're used to play.

* 2p matches are fun! fun! fun!

DaemoN

Camel Slug
Also, it's 1AM and I'm VERY tired today. Please excuse me for bad grammar, typos and missing information. Feel free to request more info in the thread, I'll do my best to document this sweet title :buttrock:

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
I remember playing Martial Masters.

This game is trash.

Dinodoedoe

Bub & Bob's Bub,
20 Year Member
taitai said:
I remember playing Martial Masters.

This game is trash.

Agreed, this game was very meh. Looks nice but just didn't play right.

DaemoN

Camel Slug
Oh, c'mon :-) You have to give it a chance.

After you get familiar with the controls, the game's a blast!

I cant wait to try Spectral vs. Generation...

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
My university had a Martial Masters machine. We played that piece of shit into the ground.

We yelled and we finally got a CvS2 machine

roninbuddha

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
i palyed this with a friend on Timezone (of all places!)
cheap credits as well..
we played it a lot of times trying with every character..

and yeah, the Drunken Master sprites in itself is great, but the rest felt, normal... the Big Bald Guy beat us every time, but some of them have the ODDest fighting stances i've seen.. even...

here's some sprites for those who havent seen them yet..

martmastreika6gw.gif
martmastcrane7xl.gif
martmastdrunk1ak.gif
martmasthuang5ap.gif
martmastscorpion8yt.gif
martmasttiger6vz.gif
martmastlotus4ts.gif

*stolen from PrimeCentralStation/Scrollboss Forums

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
Woah those sprites look totally awesome....can't wait to buy this!

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I thought that Martial Masters was a lot of fun and Spectral vs. Generation REALLY sucked.

I liked how you could make a "Shadow" of your character to do a move and you could run in and do something else. If they made a home version I'd pick it up, but for not even 70 bucks, you got yourself a deal.

I'd love to get MM and The Gladiator if I could get a PGM.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
taitai said:
It was pretty. The gameplay was just ass.
Gameplay is good, but the control scheme is frustrating as hell if you're an SNK player. SNK games allow perhaps more move-buffering tricks than any other class of fighting games. Martial Masters is the only recent fighter I can remember that allows NO buffering whatsoever. That means every move in a combo you have to pull exactly at the time it's supposed to come out. It sounds simple, but for an experienced SNK player it's excruciating. :annoyed: If you can force yourself to learn the timing of every single move, then you can get some enjoyment out of this game. It shouldn't be that way though.

YuckMud said:
I thought that Martial Masters was a lot of fun and Spectral vs. Generation REALLY sucked.
Shit... I'm about to order a Spectral cart, not enough people on the site had an opinion one way or another. :p

Hmm... it's not confirmed yet, so I could cancel that part and get like Metal Slugs 2-4 on MVS at the same price. I'd ask people for advice, but on this site I already know what the answer would be. ;)

Last edited: