My joystick is acting up.

riskVSreward

Rugal's Thug
I'm sure the best thing to do would be change the stick but I've never done that. I think this is a minor problem too, and might be remedied a bit easier. My 2P joystick is set a little too low and sometimes doesn't "click" in the desired direction. It's very inconsistent and totally ruins the fight when you suddenly cant move left.

You can lift it a bit while playing and it works again. I don't mean tug on it, it's just a little loose and set a quarter inch too low. By comparison, the 1P stick is very tight, and always "clicks."

EDIT: I noticed what is happening now, because the stick is set just a hair too low, the plastic piece that hits the micro switches is set strangely and is not pushing them far enough. When you lift the stick that quarter inch, it "sets" it back to the normal spot so the plastic piece hits the switches cleanly.

I also noticed there is a brown piece wedged between the plastic and the metal of the stick on the 1P side, I don't know if it's crucial but it's not on the faulty side. I could theoretically put some gum or a paper clip in there to hold the plastic piece up to the right spot, but that hardly seems like a good permanent fix.

How can I tighten/reset the stick? Sorry I don't know what types of sticks they are, I'll know tomorrow hopefully. If it helps, they are black bat tops and (the good one) is pretty sturdy. I'm pretty sure they're HAPP sticks, possibly the competition sticks.

EDIT AGAIN: I got it fixed, so I'm posting what was wrong in case it helps anyone else. The hourglass-shaped plastic that hit the microswitches was upside down. Because of this, the right part wasn't hitting the switches and it was being very selective with the inputs. So I took the e-clip off, and flipped it.

It was also missing a rubber washer to hold it at the right height, so I went to Lowe's and picked one up. The stick works like new now!

Last edited:

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
riskVSreward said:
I'm sure the best thing to do would be change the stick but I've never done that. I think this is a minor problem too, and might be remedied a bit easier. My 2P joystick is set a little too low and sometimes doesn't "click" in the desired direction. It's very inconsistent and totally ruins the fight when you suddenly cant move left.

You can lift it a bit while playing and it works again. I don't mean tug on it, it's just a little loose and set a quarter inch too low. By comparison, the 1P stick is very tight, and always "clicks."

EDIT: I noticed what is happening now, because the stick is set just a hair too low, the plastic piece that hits the micro switches is set strangely and is not pushing them far enough. When you lift the stick that quarter inch, it "sets" it back to the normal spot so the plastic piece hits the switches cleanly.

I also noticed there is a brown piece wedged between the plastic and the metal of the stick on the 1P side, I don't know if it's crucial but it's not on the faulty side. I could theoretically put some gum or a paper clip in there to hold the plastic piece up to the right spot, but that hardly seems like a good permanent fix.

How can I tighten/reset the stick? Sorry I don't know what types of sticks they are, I'll know tomorrow hopefully. If it helps, they are black bat tops and (the good one) is pretty sturdy. I'm pretty sure they're HAPP sticks, possibly the competition sticks.

A metal washer might work. Put a metel washer between the plastic actuator and the e-clip. It will push up the stick a bit.

From what you are describing...personally I would replace the stick. Amercian sticks are inexspensive, and easy to get.

riskVSreward

Rugal's Thug
Thanks for the reply, I got in touch with the previous owner and he told me how to open the CP. Now that I've seen it in the light, it's definitely missing a little foam rubber washer. A friggin 15 cent piece of plastic was the downfall of my arcade gaming. And I have to wait til tomorrow to get one, I hate 12 hour shifts.

The sticks are really nice other than that, and would you believe me if I said I couldn't afford to buy new sticks for a few weeks? I totally denied paying a few bills to get my cab, and I'd do it again too. Garou is heading to an arcade near ME, cable bills be damned!

Last edited:

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Cool...kinda weird the rubber washer was missing. Probably broke off I guess.

Congrats on the cab.

riskVSreward

Rugal's Thug
Thanks, I'm just glad I finally got one, I've wanted it for like 12 years now.

I figure it broke during transportation but I searched the whole cab and didn't find it. It worked fine at the seller's house so I felt like an ass calling him back about it. Aside from not knowing exactly what sticks are in it, he helped me out and as a result I now know what I need to buy!

Thanks also to ElectricGrave who was helping me on another site.