My first consolization project

Kuriakos

Kula's Candy
Well, I have everything wired up and ready to go, it is a little ugly but it can be cleaned up. I do have one problem though. The db15 connecter I got from digikey appears way too shallow to use a NGCD pad on. I plugged it in and got nothing, but I am 99.9% certain I wired it correctly. Should I try to modify the end of the NGCD pad connector, or what?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The NGCD pads work on shallow connections just fine, you might have wired it wrong, double check to make sure you didnt switch the +5v and ground. You need the ground to activate the switch.

Kuriakos

Kula's Candy
I think you are right, I attached the ground to the nearest jamma edge labeled ground, but that isn't a true ground! Duh! I feel retarded. When I get home, I will wire it to the ground from the ATX PS and I bet it works. Thanks.

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
Kuriakos said:
I think you are right, I attached the ground to the nearest jamma edge labeled ground, but that isn't a true ground! Duh! I feel retarded. When I get home, I will wire it to the ground from the ATX PS and I bet it works. Thanks.
Check those things, but XX was more referring to pins 1 and 8 on the DB-15 being reversed.

Kuriakos

Kula's Candy
I double checked all of that last night. I was getting zero response from the controller, so I bet it was the ground. It couldn't pull low without the ground.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
D-Lite said:
Check those things, but XX was more referring to pins 1 and 8 on the DB-15 being reversed.

Exactly Dean. Hopefully it's just a wiring issue. Sometimes I've found that you have to reset the backup ram in the hardware test more to fix button probs. But this sounds more like a wiring/connection issue.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I'm glad you put that neobitz to good use!

Kuriakos

Kula's Candy
Rade said:
I'm glad you put that neobitz to good use!

yeah, I need to leave you feedback for that, I keep forgetting. There is just something real exciting about looking at your TV and seeing the beloved neo geo logo! I'm pretty sure by tonight I will have a fully functioning unit!

Kuriakos

Kula's Candy
well, I feel foolish! Xian Xi you were totally right! I had the orientation of the wiring diagram backwards. :emb: Everything works great now, but I want to make this look cleaner, is there an alternative to soldering to the jamma edge?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Kuriakos said:
well, I feel foolish! Xian Xi you were totally right! I had the orientation of the wiring diagram backwards. :emb: Everything works great now, but I want to make this look cleaner, is there an alternative to soldering to the jamma edge?

The only real other thing you can do is use a jamma harness which I used in the ones that had the room so that if something goes wrong with the board I can just swap in a new board without having to resolder all the connections.

Kuriakos

Kula's Candy
yeah, that was what I originally wanted to do, but I soldered straight on to sace cash. I think I am just going to find a way to hide all the wiring. Thx for your help, I'll post pics once I get it cleaned up.

Kuriakos

Kula's Candy
Oh, I also meant to ask what kind of alternatives there were out there for power supplys. This ATX is so ugly!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If you're doing an open face CMVS you can always solder at different spots for the signals instead of the jamma edge. You can also run the wires under the board and get the signals from there as well.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Nope, You only need +5v, the +12v is if you have standalone speakers that need to be powered but if you are hooking up the sound to a stereo its not needed.

What board are you consolizing?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Ya you dont need it for an MV1C.

To use the PSU I posted you will need a panel mount 5.1mm barrel jack.

On the 1C you have to do some modding to the board, I'll see if I can find the thread. I had it on my website but it's currently down.

Kuriakos

Kula's Candy
right on thanx, for now I wired the PS in quick and dirty. Here is what it looks like so far. I need to cut the holes for the controller ports, and do some general cleaning up.

console1C.jpg

Kuriakos

Kula's Candy
I had never soldered before this project, but it was pretty easy to get the hang of. Those of you out there too intimidated to do it yourself, it isn't that hard!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Are you going to be putting it in a custom case? I can see why you wanted to hide the wires. Ya usually the first CMVS comes out like spaghetti, same here...lol