My dead Neo Geo CD - RIP...

Tadaima

Host for Orochi
Sad news. My Neo Geo CD finally died, after a horrible agony. It had been going through death throes for quite a long time already.

Now, it won't "read" the CDs. It won't even produces the faintest "click" to load the rom. I don't know what's happening. A friend of mine dismantled it and said the CD player is fucked up, yet he cannot explain why.

Bye bye, Last Blade CD... Bye bye, Samurai Shodown IV CD...

Who knows? I might fix it one of these days... Problem is it's very fragile. Shit, I really liked that system...

Then don't trust him!

Is the laser actually moving up and down its track? If it is, then you should start off by very gently cleaning the lens with some lens cleaner and lens cleaning tissue (basically a LINT FREE cloth - that's NO toilet paper, paper hankies or cotton wool. And Q-TIPS ARE COTTON WOOL!).

If not, haven't I seen a laser for sale somewhere?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Sounds like a bad stepper motor unit, or a "burned out" lense.

The Neostore used to sell Neo CD repair kits with all the necessary parts, take a look at it, it's not too hard to do this replacement, and it's always cheaper than a new console.

If you can't get a repair kit you may contact Ray/!Arcade! to get your console repaired.

Tadaima

Host for Orochi
Well, thank you all for your answers.

I took the NG CD to a friend of mine, Anthony, who's a real gearhead and a gifted electrotech. He disassembled the Neo and tried to see where the problem lies.

He found out the lense was a little "burned." He ordered a lense kit from one of his friends and changed it. I paid him. Well, almost after an hour and a half of normal functioning, the NG CD auto-reseted and started to fuck up again.

I definetely put it back in its case and decided to keep it as a souvenir.

Now, I had a talk with some Neo geeks who told me how weak some CD units are. It surprised me since I take great care of my Neo units.

Anyway, it's a definite burial. It's under my bed now, in its case. Dead forever...

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Originally posted by Tadaima:
<strong>Well, thank you all for your answers.

I took the NG CD to a friend of mine, Anthony, who's a real gearhead and a gifted electrotech. He disassembled the Neo and tried to see where the problem lies.

He found out the lense was a little "burned." He ordered a lense kit from one of his friends and changed it. I paid him. Well, almost after an hour and a half of normal functioning, the NG CD auto-reseted and started to fuck up again.

Now, I had a talk with some Neo geeks who told me how weak some CD units are. It surprised me since I take great care of my Neo units.

Anyway, it's a definite burial. It's under my bed now, in its case. Dead forever...</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's the motor,I've had this happen with my CDZ's before on numerous occassions...
A good way to troublshoot a CD system is if you own two units and interchange the parts...
from reading your statements...it appears your motor was wearing down until it could'nt get up to speed anymore...causing the lens to work that much harder which is why it was a lil burned as you describe(stressed).

-BB

[ August 23, 2002: Message edited by: BIG BEAR ]</p>

Mike26

McWow,
i got a broken neo cd i wanna get rid of, it is pal, and i live in the us, so i didnt even bother w/ it. although as i think about it , it could have the same problem..., pm me if u want it.

Mike ur PMs aren't working, something about your email address rejecting it.

I may be interested, if it wouldnt be too expensive to get over here. What model is it and what are you after for it?

Guys, am always interested in dead machines - especially in Europe! :D

Mike26

McWow,
hey man, i got the pm fine... oh well...

the system case is in excellent shape, however, the lid doesnt stay up (i think the springs are alittle old) and i doubt the system works due to the fact that i bought it AS IS, boy i got ripped off. here is the tag on the back:

Model number: neogeo-cd
Item NO: CD-T01
Rating: 29W
serial #: 0002624

lemme know if u want it

-mike

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
<strong>Well, thank you all for your answers.

Anyway, it's a definite burial. It's under my bed now, in its case. Dead forever...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I had pretty much the same sequence of events. It started screwing up when trying to load and it appeared to be the laser causing the problem. I managed to locate a replacement part (the same make and model laser, brand new) and swapped in the new laser myself (it was a pain in the ass), and it just started screwing up again. :(

I have another Neo CD unit I bought new, so I just ended up trashing my 'used' one.

Tadaima

Host for Orochi
I'm going crazy...

I tried the CD unit yesterday evening and... it worked!!! It worked for three hours without auto-reseting, without flickering or malfunctioning.

This is the curse of neo geo cd...

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Nah your shit's gonna die again sooner or later. My best advice preventive maintence. Get a new motor just for a back up.

I've had a few NeoCD/CDZs and I never ran into this problem but that's the luck of the dice.

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
<strong>I'm going crazy...

I tried the CD unit yesterday evening and... it worked!!! It worked for three hours without auto-reseting, without flickering or malfunctioning.

This is the curse of neo geo cd...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I had a similar problem with my old top-loading single-speed system, and it turned out to be the motor. Once the motor overheated, it would produce I/O errors. If I left the system alone for 2 hours or better (i.e. letting it cool down) the system would work again, but only for a few short hours. Don't fool yourself: you will have to replace the motor eventually.