mvscomplete - MAME and AttractMode Layout

How do you feel about using mame for neo geo?

• I壇 consider mame after seeing this layout, even though no option is perfect.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

keilmillerjr

New Challenger
layout.png

mvscomplete is a layout for the AttractMode front end. It is designed as a better option than a 161-in-1 multicart for the neo geo mvs. It is running inside my neo geo mvs using the original k7000 crt arcade monitor. It works well at vga (640x480) and higher 4:3 aspect resolutions. Widescreen adaptiveness featuring a 6 slot configuration is next on the todo list.

You can download it here.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Nice neo specific layout, I don't mind using generic layouts like what the mGalaxy front end provides.

keilmillerjr

New Challenger
Revised layout to be more 4-slot段sh! Slot artwork has a shader applied to make round corners.

layout.png

keilmillerjr

New Challenger
Layout update and pushed to github.
layout.png

Made a video of my current setup. Since, I removed the loading cursor and the shutdown warning. The only thing you see when booting or shutdown now is a brief second of command line window for attract mode. I just have service buttons and sound to wire up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZC_5H8rO9s&t=12s

Last edited:

Salvio007

Mr. Big's Thug
This looks really neat, gotta say. Thinking of going this route on a bartop project..

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Why the vertical scanlines?

This is the questions we need answered.

I chose the 161-in-1 option as that's what I have right now, but it does have it's problems. In fact, it was the 161-in-1 cart that made me finally get an MVS. I did fill out the holes with real carts however. I will get a Neo SD when I can spare the coin, as it's a definitive solution.

I do use MAME for some games, and am thinking about a Raspberry Pi / JAMMA setup for that. It's great to play random games that are unobtainable, or just plain weird, but the thing with the Neo Geo is that it's a platform. Where most arcade boards are one-offs, the neo can support many games with just a simple cart swap. To me it's worth the hassle to play real hardware where I can, and for the Neo Geo it's easy to do that.

Your layout looks nice, aside from the vertical scanlines. Are you in TATE?? Adding scanline shaders on a CRT? I like how simple it is. One of the reasons I do not want to use MAME is the myriad fuck-ups and bullshit of using a computer. I play these games to relax and have a good time. The way I see it, I use a computer enough already and want to get away from them, and use a dedicated device (also a computer tho - how sad does this sound BTW?). You seem to have made a nice attempt at hiding the underlying computer. Kudos! Any chance you could make this work on Raspberry pi 3?

c0nn0r

10 Year Member
It works well at vga (640x480) and higher 4:3 aspect resolutions. Widescreen adaptiveness featuring a 6 slot configuration is next on the todo list.

Couple questions;

1. Why are you displaying 640x480 when Neo Geo is 320x240?
  2. What is the purpose of "widescreen adaptiveness"?

keilmillerjr

New Challenger
To answer some questions:

I am using an actual mvs with a horizontal k7000 crt. The scan lines in the photo is a shader I applied to make it look a little better for those using the layout on lcd. I am not sure how to make the scan lines horizontal, but I can look into it.

This layout should work fine on a raspberry pi. I am currently using lakka on my rpi. I have yet to try the retropie with attract mode. Layout is designed for vga res. Text might be unreadable if you have your pi set to QVGA. The new pi firmware can dynamically change resolutions with tvservice, but I don’t think anyone has implemented it into a gaming os package yet.

I designed the layout at VGA res for two reasons. 1: text and artwork is more readable/viewable at a higher res. 2: I don’t know how to make windows and attract mode display at QVGA resolutions. All the games are displayed at QVGA res, so no worries there. Its just the front end that is displayed at a higher res.

I was going to make a 6-slot widescreen for widescreen lcd resolutions, just so it looks better on non 4:3 monitors. I scrapped the idea as I have no use for it, and I am very busy with life right now.

UPDATE: I managed to 100% hide windows. Yay!

Last edited:

c0nn0r

10 Year Member
WTF?

This is a shit show.

Ban pls.

keilmillerjr

New Challenger
layout.png

Update provides scan lines in correct orientation. Be sure to update shader module. It defaults to horizontal scan line orientation. I will soon update the flavors layout to choose the correct scan line orientation based on front end orientation.

keilmillerjr

New Challenger
layout.png

Added SoundFX and updated instructions. Also created a plugin to create a fade in and out of emulators. See layout readme.