MVS Multi-slot board in a JAMMA cab - any permanent damage?

the7k

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Hey guys, I know this question is similar to others I've seen asked before here, but I haven't seen a crystal clear answer so allow me to flood the boards by one more useless topic:

I have a 4-Slot MVS board that I just received. Due to rain, I cannot haul one of my MVS-wired cabs to my house to get it running, all I have ready are JAMMA cabs at the house currently, and dude wants me to leave feedback right now, so -

If I hook up an MVS board to a JAMMA cab, will that cause damage? I am aware that the games will sound really weird due to the wiring, but I just need to test it to make sure it actually works before I leave feedback.

I know hooking up a JAMMA board to an MVS cab will cause damage to the sound chip, but I want to make sure nothing permanent will be caused the other way around.

Thanks guys, I appreciate any help.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
AFAIK, no damage because the power lines (+5V and +12V) and ground are in the same pins on both JAMMA and MVS. The sound and maybe some button will act weird, however. I think you can connect it safely and try it for a couple minutes without risk.

Regards.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
You CAN put a 2/4/6 slot board or a 1 slot in stereo mode into a JAMMA cabinet. You'll hear one channel of audio and it won't damage the board.

You CANNOT put a JAMMA board into a stereo wired MVS cabinet as you will blow the audio amp chip. Sometimes immediately, sometimes it will get finger roasting hot before it blows and you can save it if you disconnect it soon enough.