MVS Manuals?

RumbleBumble

Rugal's Thug
Don't get me wrong, though. Shock boxes I can appreciate because it's doing something else besides displaying the cart (protecting it), but manuals I put on equal footing as MVS games in AES style shells- missing the point.

What about the inserts people buy? They aren't just basic labels, there are multiple options per game with some sets having combined artwork on the spines etc. It's attractive but also crazily elaborate and unnecessary from a certain perspective. Surely it's just one more form of neo geo mania. The next (il)logical step has to be manuals.

Last edited:

lions3

Igniz's Servent
you're kinda kicking an ant hill here. I'm distracted with other stuff at the moment (work). So I can't really articulate the situation correctly.

Basically though, you want AES manuals for your shockbox MVS carts. That's fine. Just find some reproduction AES manuals and drop them in. Or go to a print shop/kinkos and have them print some of the PDF manuals at that archive site.

Just note AES is for the home system, while MVS is arcade. People around the forum tend to like keeping this distinction (not all, but probably a majority). It's why replacement labels for MVS carts tend to look more like the originals and not like copies of the AES. People have tried. It's just never been a popular thing. You're kinda suggesting the same thing just with manuals.

RumbleBumble

Rugal's Thug
you're kinda kicking an ant hill here. I'm distracted with other stuff at the moment (work). So I can't really articulate the situation correctly.

Basically though, you want AES manuals for your shockbox MVS carts. That's fine. Just find some reproduction AES manuals and drop them in. Or go to a print shop/kinkos and have them print some of the PDF manuals at that archive site.

Just note AES is for the home system, while MVS is arcade. People around the forum tend to like keeping this distinction (not all, but probably a majority). It's why replacement labels for MVS carts tend to look more like the originals and not like copies of the AES. People have tried. It's just never been a popular thing. You're kinda suggesting the same thing just with manuals.

What you say makes a lot of sense. I haven't had much luck finding reproduction AES manuals though. I can see people here like to keep the distinction between the home system and arcade, which is fair enough. I think though that there is a market among those going the consolized MVS route for things like this - after all, people taking that route aren't doing it because they wouldn't like a home system collection rather because the affordability of that particular ship has sailed. Personally, I'd love to see manuals designed specially for the MVS. That would be awesome, just like the MVS shock box inserts are, and I'm sure that if something like this were available at southtown more than half the folks going there for the shock boxes and inserts would pick up the relevant manuals at the same time.

Barring that becoming available, or someone here offering them, I guess getting some reproduction AES manuals would be the answer. If I can find any that is. In the meantime, if anyone here is interested in creating manuals specifically for MVS, I would love to be your first ant-hill-kicking customer.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
Until recently I've never had any AES goes. Well since the mid 90s. The manuals are nice for the AES games. Go look at those archived manuals. Please. What would you change for MVS? They're already the right size for a shockbox as the AES boxes are nearly the same dimensions. The artwork and logos are right. Even the instructions. Who's going to go back and make custom artwork for a MVS manual? Especially when the AES is already done and includes everything you need.

RumbleBumble

Rugal's Thug
Until recently I've never had any AES goes. Well since the mid 90s. The manuals are nice for the AES games. Go look at those archived manuals. Please. What would you change for MVS? They're already the right size for a shockbox as the AES boxes are nearly the same dimensions. The artwork and logos are right. Even the instructions. Who's going to go back and make custom artwork for a MVS manual? Especially when the AES is already done and includes everything you need.

That makes sense. So, in that case, is there anywhere I can buy them from, ready-made?

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
What about a custom insert for the shockbox, the front has the cover art, but the back would be information regarding the dip-switches, and other pertinent information?

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Easier to get a job and buy homecarts

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Super mega moronic OP...really...super mega moronic.

Shock Boxes serve a purpose, they keep MVS players connected to the art of the games we love. Why wouldn't we want a Real Bout art piece? It's awesome, shockboxes are awesome! BB is awesome and those folks that spent time making inserts are awesome...I did some myself but less than a handful.

MVS Move Strips, Mini Marquees, A-4 Marquees, Dip Switches all fit in the Shockbox and it's way cooler than some Black and White Manual...your idea is so bad it shouldn't even be considered a bad idea but more of a bad thought...that's how bad it is.

Suggestion: Since your noob self is so eager to spend money, why not buy some Neo Geo CD games, they're pretty cheap still and the manuals are half way decent...and you get a fucken bonus OST/AST how good is that? If you want better manuals better start looking for ports, specially jp ports, them manuals are pretty slick. KOF2000 PS2...damn, that manual is the manual of all manuals...Shinkiro 4LF!

Now, back to where I began...you're a fucking moron and should be shot on sight...fucken noobs...when will it end?!

Edit: In thought...and good thought at that...I fumbled around with some inserts, I made some Full Frontal and the back is just the Mini Marquee...way better looking than any of them stupid legends on the back of the AES carts...

...also, why not make them manuals yourself, easy enough, edit the art scanned out there, clump it together and have it printed by a pro, it'll look great if done right but given your dumb ass thread I don't think you have what it takes...lol

Last edited:

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
The money you would spent on all the manuals would be better spent on other games. Heck, even the cost of shocks and inserts might be better spent on other games.

That said, you might be happier in the long run if you learn to appreciate MVS games for what they are, rather than trying to make them more like AES. You might be better off collecting kits, if you like the artworks for the games.

RumbleBumble

Rugal's Thug
Shock Boxes serve a purpose, they keep MVS players connected to the art of the games we love.

Wow, it's about staying connected to the art and here I was thinking shock boxes were something to keep the game inside. You know, I find your reply moronic. No, wait a second, not merely moronic, super mega moronic. Shock boxes serve a purpose connecting people to the art of the games they love - but manuals couldn't possibly do that of course, could they? Nor would anyone want an easy point of reference in the box itself that details stuff like special moves at a glance. No way would they want that, it would be moronic. No, wait a second, I mean super mega moronic.

The money you would spent on all the manuals would be better spent on other games. Heck, even the cost of shocks and inserts might be better spent on other games.

That said, you might be happier in the long run if you learn to appreciate MVS games for what they are, rather than trying to make them more like AES. You might be better off collecting kits, if you like the artworks for the games.

Well that's a good point but I would say that it's not necessarily about trying to make them more like AES, it's more just about wanting to have a manual for the game. If you buy a console, even if the guts were originally from an arcade machine, it means that you might well keep it in your living room, along with the games that you might want to put in shock boxes with inserts so that they don't make the place look a mess and it can be handy to have manuals because they tend to contain useful information and also because that is something people tend to have inside the cartridge cases of the games that go with their console. So I'm not so much saying I want it to be more like AES, rather that it would both be handy to have a manual and that it's a normal thing to go alongside your console and games.

Again, I think the point is, once you consolize the MVS, it has by definition become a console. The fact the guts are from an arcade machine isn't going to make much of a difference to the experience. AES is too expensive for most people to get into now but having a consolized MVS is very affordable and I see no reason why people taking MVS as their console route shouldn't want everything that traditionally comes along with it - shock boxes, inserts, manuals. Taken together, the cost of these is still massively below those of AES titles. And the ones at jamma-nation are exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about. As more people take the consolized MVS route, the market for this kind of thing is only going to grow.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Say, how about AES Candy Cabs?

Mmm candy I like candy!

I see manuals for mvs games as a security flaw really, what if a burglar was to enter your house? see your mvs manuals and then proceed to play the game properly? I just couldn't bare to think it.

RumbleBumble

Rugal's Thug
Mmm candy I like candy!

I see manuals for mvs games as a security flaw really, what if a burglar was to enter your house? see your mvs manuals and then proceed to play the game properly? I just couldn't bare to think it.

Wow, I didn't think of that. Okay, I give in. This is an indisputable reason not to have manuals for the games. The burglar might even beat your high scores...

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
About this whole adding a manual thing, I think it's cool. Manuals are more than just a simple "how to play", they add to the whole old school experience. Aside from just having the whole how to play section, a manual will have extra content like story, character descriptions, item description, and a bunch of cool art work.

I know the MVS is for arcades, but by modding them to CMVS, we are already removing them away from their main purpose. Adding a shock box and manual to MVS games is just part of the experience to consolizing a MVS board.

RumbleBumble

Rugal's Thug
About this whole adding a manual thing, I think it's cool. Manuals are more than just a simple "how to play", they add to the whole old school experience. Aside from just having the whole how to play section, a manual will have extra content like story, character descriptions, item description, and a bunch of cool art work.

I know the MVS is for arcades, but by modding them to CMVS, we are already removing them away from their main purpose. Adding a shock box and manual to MVS games is just part of the experience to consolizing a MVS board.

Yeah, exactly.

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
No is trying to compensate for the lack of funds cause what you really want is the AES period.