MVS Holographic Labels

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
That's a dope collection, SuperGun! Gives me all the feels. Especially that crisp LB2!

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I need to check my carts, I know I have a couple.. wonder if its just the usual ones.

I had a Ganryu cart once, the holo on that thing looked like a boot.

The KOF2000 cart you sold me has a holo label and that gold warning sticker =D

vingt-2

n00b
How about some thread necromancy? I have an interesting fact to contribute.

I didn't take before pictures cause I'm an idiot, but yesterday I restored my Metal Slug 2 cart that I bought 13 years ago, and that I butchered 13 years ago. See it had a worn out japanese label and I ripped it up at the time (because I was already an idiot at the time?) and stored it somewhere after I decided against replacing the label with a repro. My cart was sitting around with some glued, ripped plain white paper on the cart and I had this mangled Japanese label I removed.

Yesterday, ~ 13+ years later, I felt like doing something about this, and looked at the ripped up label only to realize that I could read 2 gulS lateM on the back of the ripped up label. To my surprise, this Japanese MVS cart had in fact been first manufactured as an English labeled cart, and then SNK stuck a paper Jap sticker on top of the English one as well as a new jap gold Caution sticker on top of the old english one.

Now the interesting fact is eventhough the Jap label was paper (with the silver SNK sticker that has the serial number applied on top), the original Eng sticker was in fact clearly laminated. That allowed me to the basically grind away the worn out japanese label with some coton swabs and isopropyle alcool and recover the original holographic sticker with a bit of care and effort in surprisingly decent condition !

So the takeway is: In 1998 SNK manufactured english labels carts with holo stickers, and japanese ones with paper stickers + the blue serial number laminate sticker. Also they repurposed a bunch of NA (or EUR) carts to JAP after the fact, probably to address Jap demand ?

Attachments

• 20230812_140029.jpg
    20230812_140029.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 12
Last edited: