MVS Holographic Labels

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
I can only presume they released MVS carts with a holographic label to try and combat piracy. But what games did they do it on...?

What ones have you got? Heres mine...

MVS_Hologram.jpg

And Xian Xi... to save you time looking, yes they are all on NeoCartMan.:lolz:

Pro_Gear

Another,
20 Year Member
Metal Slug holo? First time I've seen that, not that I've been paying much attention.

Mine is plain, No-29606

#noboot

Zellez

King's Dry Cleaner
Metal Slug holo? First time I've seen that, not that I've been paying much attention.

Mine is plain, No-29606

#noboot

mine is plain as well, n.025748

As for holo label, the few I've below my nose at the moment are:
- twinkle
- PI2
- pop n bounce
- waku waku 7

Anyway you can find a lot of them on mvs-scan

edit:
I just noticed that pop n bounce on mvs-scan doesn't have a holo label. I got two of them (000431 and 003145) and both are holo. Also WW7 is not scanned for the western version... I gave a copy to Mokum, so maybe he can scan the label, in the meanwhile I can post an old pic of it
http://imageshack.us/g/571/1001673jr.jpg/

Last edited:

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
I assume all the games made between 1996 and SNK's collapse in 2000 probably have holographic labels.

I have a Mark of the Wolves cart with a holo label, along with other carts already mentioned.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
And Xian Xi... to save you time looking, yes they are all on NeoCartMan.:lolz:

LOL

The only thing that sucks about the Holo labels is that for some titles it wasn't always a holo label on every cart. Metal Slug, Metal Slug 2 and Blazing Star I know weren't all holo labels. The holos are nice though. Some bootleggers put holo labels on boots to pass them off as legit which is almost always happening on Matrimelee. They use a yellow shell and a holo label so everyone gets fooled.

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
LOL

The only thing that sucks about the Holo labels is that for some titles it wasn't always a holo label on every cart. Metal Slug, Metal Slug 2 and Blazing Star I know weren't all holo labels. The holos are nice though. Some bootleggers put holo labels on boots to pass them off as legit which is almost always happening on Matrimelee. They use a yellow shell and a holo label so everyone gets fooled.

But AFAIK, those "fake" holo labels are starburst holos, rather than the ribbon style ones in the picture above.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
If anyone has one of these fake labelled carts, can they post a picture for reference.

Camp

Zero's Secretary
10 Year Member
I've never seen a Jap holo label cart. They seem to be all US labels?

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
I've never seen a Jap holo label cart. They seem to be all US labels?

No nor have I. I can only assume that they were US releases only.

If anyone can prove that wrong, I would love to see....

Qwerty 9999

Crazed MVS Addict
I think that mslug 1 holo label was released only for very high number serials, like 40k+. They're nice! I hope to find one.

Personally here in Europe I've seen many original neo turf masters carts without an holo label (and w/out the gold warning sticker as well), mine's too.

Xian Xi, I've never seen a non-holo label for blazing star or metal slug 2, besides the japanese carts (which none of them have an holographic label, from which I've seen).

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
I think that mslug 1 holo label was released only for very high number serials, like 40k+. They're nice! I hope to find one.

Personally here in Europe I've seen many original neo turf masters carts without an holo label (and w/out the gold warning sticker as well), mine's too.

Xian Xi, I've never seen a non-holo label for blazing star or metal slug 2, besides the japanese carts (which none of them have an holographic label, from which I've seen).

Not sure about that (which is why I started this thread) from what I have seen/read, the holo label has been known to appear on any number. So with consequetive numbered carts, you could get a standard label in between two holo labels.

It is a bit odd, all the holo carts I have seen have also had the yellow warning sticker too. Could it be anything to do with their location of origin. e.g. US and Europe...?

I have seen a non-Holo Blazing Star (not MS2 though) and still would like to see if any Jap carts were made holo.

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
Yeah, as Zenimus said - most English labelled games from 1996 had holographic labels.

The only exceptions I've seen are;

Art of Fighting 3
King of Fighters 2001
King of Fighters 2002
King of Fighters 2003
Matrimelee
Metal Slug 4
Metal Slug 5
Neo Drift Out
Ninja Master's
Over Top
Pleasuregoal
Pochi & Nyaa
Rage of the Dragons
Ragnagard
Samurai Shodown V
Sengoku 3
Super Dodge Ball
SNK Vs Capcom
Tecmo World Soccer 96

None of the Korean (English label)/Japanese labelled games have holographic labels

Also as others have said there are versions of the following games that have both holographic and non-holographic labels. Only the holographic versions of these games came with the gold warning sticker;

King of Fighters 2000
Metal Slug
Neo Turf Masters

Nice looking carts by the way Rog!

Qwerty 9999

Crazed MVS Addict
@neo-geo-mvs

Metal slug comes with a gold warning sticker anyway, holo or plain label.

Basically, only games made by snk after 1996 can be found with an holographic label. None of the games made after 2000 by companies different from the old snk%

Last edited:

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
@neo-geo-mvs

Metal slug comes with a gold warning sticker anyway, holo or plain label.

True, I've just checked my non-holo and holo carts and they both have gold warning stickers. Must have been getting mixed with Neo Turf Masters :oh_no:

non-holo

DSCN9593-1.jpg

holo

DSCN9596-1.jpg

Basically, only games made by snk after 1996 can be found with an holographic label. None of the games made after 2000 by companies different from the old snk%

What about Bang Bead, Blazing Star, Prehistoric Isle 2, Puzzle Bobble 2 etc - all holo labels :D

Qwerty 9999

Crazed MVS Addict
For some reason I haven't completed the sentence. :spock: Anyway I meant the games made during the old snk period. You sure noticed that eolith, mega, snk playmore etc games are all non-holo labels. ;) (samurai spirits zero special included even if you haven't listed it, but is kinda obvious).

I'm curious about the japanese carts. Another weird thing is that I've never seen a japanese label for puzzle bobble, puzzle bobble 2, metal slug 5, svc chaos and kof 2003, but maybe there are more. :scratch:

Last edited:

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
The Japanese carts of Puzzle Bobble and Puzzle Bobble 2 are written as that, they are not written in Kana

As for Metal Slug 5, SvC Chaos and KoF 2003, they were only released as PCBs in Japan, there was no MVS Cart.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
Good question, not too sure why as there is a Kana for Puzzle Bobble (パズル ボブル)

Perhaps they just liked it.

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
I didn't think there was a Japanese release for Puzzle Bobble 2?

The ones I've seen are Bust-A-Move Again (US release) and Puzzle Bobble 2 (European release). The European release has the gold warning sign in English.

I haven't seen a Puzzle Bobble 2 cart with a japanese gold warning sticker

Qwerty 9999

Crazed MVS Addict
Me too. Perhaps the F3 version of PB2 (and PB2X) was already well established in Japan and a MVS release would have been useless there?

jaydie1

n00b
I have a metal slug x and metal slug 3 with star burst holo label but the board are genuine snk boards, do you think some one made a new label ?

thieslo

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
My Nightmare in the Dark has a very odd holo label. It isn't a ribbon holo like most carts, but rather a very faint ripple across it. Can really only be seen at the right angles.

I have checked my PCBs and they are all legit, so unsure why it has such a different holo.

And before you ask Xian Xi, I still need to put my carts on NeoCartMan *grin*

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
My Nightmare in the Dark has a very odd holo label. It isn't a ribbon holo like most carts, but rather a very faint ripple across it. Can really only be seen at the right angles.
my nightmare in the dark is the same. my bang bead, too. both of those came from different sellers and say (C)2000 on the label. they probably ran out of stock of the older holo labels at that time or changed the pattern to make it a bit harder to fake. just a guess, but i'm pretty sure that my labels are authentic.