MVS Carts... What Determines Their Colour?

Winter_07

New Challenger
Hi everyone. This has puzzled me for a while now. Does anyone know what determines the colour of an MVS cart? Is it whatever plastic SNK has at hand at the time of production or is it a US/Euro/Jap thing?

I only ask as I have an English KOF'98 Kit that has a red cart which I have never seen before as most of them are either white or blue. I got it from someone in Italy so could it be because it's a Euro release?

Does anyone else here have any red cart version MVS games?

Sorry for the noob questions, I did a quick search and couldn't find the answers myself.

Thanks in advance.

-Winter.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
most older games are either clear or black.

after that theres no rhyme or reason.

typically theres one or two colors youll find a game in, but its anyones guess. carts can be replaced too and you wouldnt know.

my kof98 is smoked iirc.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
My 99 cart is green!:tickled:

I've heard before that the white carts (Japan region) were rentals, whatever that means. I mean, wouldn't all MVS carts be rentals pretty much? Since most arcade operators don't buy.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
i remember a lot of the red carts being Korean. i remember my friend having a red 98 that was Korean and I think a red shock troopers that may have been korean. i think some of the sound samples are different in the korean version of 98.

Yes, the white SNKG shells are rentals carts.

Tomcat

NG.com No.1 Ranked Trader.Also, Donated $600+ to N
I belive it depend by the region...

Euro/Usa/Asian

regards

Tom(ITA)

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
its really depends on temperature of a Opodiphthera eucalypti knees during the creating of the polyvinyl distilling/ silicification process.

each of the colors corresponds to the chart below.

joking!!!!

dont think it was really ever covered.

Winter_07

New Challenger
alec said:
i remember a lot of the red carts being Korean. i remember my friend having a red 98 that was Korean and I think a red shock troopers that may have been korean. i think some of the sound samples are different in the korean version of 98.

Yes, the white SNKG shells are rentals carts.

The cart label to my red KOF'98 kit is Enlgish and I was assured by the seller that it is a Euro release and not a Korean release so I guess the red carts were used for both Korean and Euro releases.

-Winter.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Winter_07 said:
The cart label to my red KOF'98 kit is Enlgish and I was assured by the seller that it is a Euro release and not a Korean release so I guess the red carts were used for both Korean and Euro releases.

-Winter.

Nope, it's Korean.

Winter_07

New Challenger
Winter_07 said:

-Winter.

lithy said:
Nope, it's Korean.

So the cart label, box label & art set are all english but it's Korean?

Strange...

-Winter.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
My KoF 2002 is Orange.

and I borrowed a Spin Master that was either Orange or Yellow. I never got it next to my kof 2k2 for color comparison.....

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
Winter_07 said:
So the cart label, box label & art set are all english but it's Korean?

Strange...

-Winter.

Not that strange, Samurai shodown IV korean version is all in English and that is the AES home version.

My KOF 98 is Blue.

joe_higashi19

Life is an Illusion, The Magic is Down My Pants.,
I think it coresponded with the color of the CEO's Sperm at the time of development.

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
No matter what color they are, we should all treat them equally.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
68k said:
No matter what color they are, we should all treat them equally.

'Cept the black ones.. they go in the back of the collection.

Lee Gray

Better Than Krauser
20 Year Member
jeff bogard said:
My KoF 2002 is Orange.

and I borrowed a Spin Master that was either Orange or Yellow. I never got it next to my kof 2k2 for color comparison.....

I had a nice green cart for kof 2002 from the neo store it was the best looking colour i seen for an mvs cart

Winter_07

New Challenger
I had Vinh Trieu at arcadeshock.com verify whether or not my Red KOF'98 was English/Euro or Korean and they said it was definatly a Euro release as Korean carts don't have serial numbers.

So, it's official, Red Euro carts do exist. They are Rare but not suprising though as SNK made over 60,000 KOF'98 carts.

-Winter.

KOF98.JPG

Sundance

Sho's Rival
All white carts were originally rentals. These should have an SNK G in the mold itself, i believe.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Winter_07 said:
I had Vinh Trieu at arcadeshock.com verify whether or not my Red KOF'98 was English/Euro or Korean and they said it was definatly a Euro release as Korean carts don't have serial numbers.

So, it's official, Red Euro carts do exist. They are Rare but not suprising though as SNK made over 60,000 KOF'98 carts.

-Winter.

KOF98.JPG

nice!

thechop

Overtop Pathfinder
Sundance said:
All white carts were originally rentals. These should have an SNK G in the mold itself, i believe.

Aaah, that'll explain the Pulstar cart i just purchased.I'd never seen a cart like that before:glee:

BeaglePuss

Mickey's Coach
Sundance said:
They do indeed (I have a MS 4 rental cart).