MVS carts I've found in a scrapyard (warning: graphic content)

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Could these be the worst condition carts brought back from the dead on N-G.com??

They worked fine on the first try. How is that bringing them back from the dead?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
So lovely to see Neo Mr. Do! working. Great work!

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
@Flagshiphero @Neo Alec Thanks!

They worked fine on the first try. How is that bringing them back from the dead?

Yeah, technically speaking I'm not repairing them - just cleaning and deoxidizing. So it's nothing special, really. Of course I only called them "dead" 'cause I couldn't possibly put this kind of stuff in my MVS (warning: don't watch if you're eating right now. Please note that some of those guys were still alive when I took the carts home). :(

hhWnj8u.jpg

Fq9a949.jpg

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
It's Metal Slug's turn. The boards are 100% original, and they looked fine once cleaned.

2PzJgbM.jpg

This time, though, when I inserted the cart I got... nothing at all.

eHBNK7i.jpg

Then I suddenly realized I forgot to use this bad boy here to clean the contacts:

pMW7hWW.jpg

I've re-opened the cart, used the eraser, closed the cart, inserted and... :buttrock:

0LrS4rg.jpg

Qm0m72G.jpg

It worked absolutely flawlessly. Another game saved from the dumpster!

Last edited:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
CARTRIDGE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DLC
I love these types of threads.Thanks for sharing.
BB

Last edited:

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
I love these types of threads.Thanks for sharing.

Same, good work! It might not have required some sophisticated repair, but at the end of the day you did rescue these from the trash heap. A much happier outcome than having them go to waste.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Glad to see they still work! It's awesome to see what you can accomplish with some deep cleaning. I'm always impressed with what a lot of old cartridge style games can withstand.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
Jesus Christ, that woman should get smacked upside the head. It's one thing to not have any kind of concept of anything videogame related and another to just decide yourself that this thing you know nothing about, that your husband was holding onto actually had value and you should have asked somebody who actually knows about this stuff before chucking it in the trash. She might as well have just withdrawn a couple hundred dollars from the bank and set it on fire, the result would have been almost the same.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
That Metal Slug looks like new with a good clean. Awesome job, this is why I love Neo Geo!

Also: Great find. Mr Do, Sonic Wings 3 and Metal Slug? Wow!

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Jesus Christ, that woman should get smacked upside the head.
Yes, a woman should be smacked for not understanding the value of 25 year old arcade cartridges. I mean, isn't everyone an expert on Neo Geo MVS carts and their value?

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member

Maybe its like that news story where the girl was dead before she was alive.

Last edited:

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
@NGT @BIG BEAR @Gyrian @3rdStrikeMike @Gaston
Thanks a lot guys ;) I didn't expect you'd find this stuff very interesting, besides the first horror photos of the scrapyard... glad to be proven wrong.

It's Breakers' turn! This is the last 100% legit cart I've found: the other carts are a couple of bootlegs (Super Sidekicks 2 and... maybe Puzzle Bobble?) and an original Street Hoops with a shady repair (I don't know if I want to put that in my cab).

kdDADyp.jpg

Once again, a good cleaning and deoxidizing did the trick. I know this is common knowledge, but I really can't stress enough how much difference a simple eraser can make. Some of my other carts require lots of fiddling around before working properly, but these ones? They work like a charm from the get go.

vZeMS6b.jpg

5P85wwQ.jpg

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Yes, a woman should be smacked for not understanding the value of 25 year old arcade cartridges. I mean, isn't everyone an expert on Neo Geo MVS carts and their value?
Why would you need to be an expert to understand you're throwing away something that has value? Most people just weigh things on a personal level when deciding if they need to keep something or not, and she probably just decided, "fuck it." What I don't understand is telling Catobelpa about other stuff after already throwing decent stuff in the trash.

Last edited:

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Why would you need to be an expert to understand you're throwing away something that has value? Most people just weigh things on a personal level when deciding if they need to keep something or not, and she probably just decided, "fuck it." What I don't understand is telling Catobelpa about other stuff after already throwing decent stuff in the trash.

Sadly just another case of a grieving widow trying to move on instead of focusing on maximizing profits.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
What I don't understand is telling Catobelpa about other stuff after already throwing decent stuff in the trash.

Sometimes it's hard to understand how an arcade operator thinks (in this case, his wife), especially if you don't know their typical mindset. I've hunted pinball machines all over my region in the last fifteen years, and I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Hundreds of pinball and arcade machines demolished and thrown in the dumpster to make room for new slot machines, absurdly high prices for junk and absurdly low prices for gems... it all depends on how they value their stuff. They're an older generation, and they rarely check ebay prices like we do. Everybody knows jukeboxes and pinball machines are valuable, but to this lady jamma PCBs, MVS carts or arcade monitors were just old parts sitting on a shelf. ;)

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Awesome job on restoring these game carts from such horrible conditions. Good to see them working seeing how they junk they looked.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
Sadly just another case of a grieving widow trying to move on instead of focusing on maximizing profits.

See, that I can see. Also Madman, I wasn't literally advocating somebody slap this woman around. More like the old "I could have had a V8" slap. I just am shocked that someone would just automatically go the "chuck it in the trash" route instead of the "put it up on craigslist or classifieds for free and hope it finds a good home, since the man I loved probably had a reason for holding onto this stuff and someone may have a use for it". I'd even have an easier time understanding her dropping them off at a recycling center than just dropping them in a dumpster for the rats and roaches and contributing even more non-biodegradable crap to the local landfill. But it's true that everyone grieves in their own way, and if this was what she needed to do to try and move on, I can understand that.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
See, that I can see. Also Madman, I wasn't literally advocating somebody slap this woman around. More like the old "I could have had a V8" slap. I just am shocked that someone would just automatically go the "chuck it in the trash" route instead of the "put it up on craigslist or classifieds for free and hope it finds a good home, since the man I loved probably had a reason for holding onto this stuff and someone may have a use for it". I'd even have an easier time understanding her dropping them off at a recycling center than just dropping them in a dumpster for the rats and roaches and contributing even more non-biodegradable crap to the local landfill. But it's true that everyone grieves in their own way, and if this was what she needed to do to try and move on, I can understand that.

Oh yeah what a fuckin goldmine.

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
Props to you for following through with this project man. This is seriously an awesome thread.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Funny how your cared-for carts, that are on a clean environment, sometimes just decide to die and not play anymore, but these, some weeks on the trash and just by cleaning them they work. Guess that explains why Yaton stuff still works, these things seem to need dirt all over them.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
It's amazing how just doing some simple cleaning can make things work, even when they were in a trash heap.