MV1-FS Board not booting game.

Hakeshu

n00b
Hello guys,

First time posting here (tried to post on the Welcome forum but I don't know why the "create a new thread button isn't showing).

I just got a MV1-FS Board and did the consolized mod showed in http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/cmvs1fs.html

Everything looks fine and all connections were made in the right spots, but when I try to start a game I got only this screen

14975797_10207856646276874_1377331386_o.jpg

Tried with 2 carts (kof 98 and 95) and both show the same screen. Did some research and followed the recommendation to run the RAM TEST, and after 4 hours no errors at all.

15045293_10207856644476829_348671382_o.jpg

When I boot up the board without a cartridge I got this

14976074_10207856644916840_1285321120_o.jpg

Running the board directly through SCART on a 14' PVM monitor, video board in between.

Anyone got an error like this before? Am I just out of luck and got a bad board? It's my first Neo Geo system beside NGPC, so I'm not used to the errors and stuff (I heard that MVS and AES are a pain to get cartridge working).

Sorry for my bad english. :lolz:

Last edited:

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
I've had an 1fz with a similar issue

On my case it was one of the ram ic's that need replacement.

On another 1fz, also had a similar "garbish" screen like that, the issue was due to a corroded battery that messed up some lines from the backup ram circuit.

Maybe this helps...

Edit: did you clear backup ram?

Hakeshu

n00b
I've had an 1fz with a similar issue

On my case it was one of the ram ic's that need replacement.

On another 1fz, also had a similar "garbish" screen like that, the issue was due to a corroded battery that messed up some lines from the backup ram circuit.

Maybe this helps...

Edit: did you clear backup ram?

I'll look into the batery when I got home. How do I clear the backup ram? Sorry for asking but I'm new to the MVS scene.

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
- Flip all of the dip switches to on
- Power on the board
You'll see "Work Ram Test" (something like that )
- Wait a couple minutes on it
- Turn off the board, and return all dips to normal
- Memory is now all clear

Profit ;)

Hakeshu

n00b
- Flip all of the dip switches to on
- Power on the board
You'll see "Work Ram Test" (something like that )
- Wait a couple minutes on it
- Turn off the board, and return all dips to normal
- Memory is now all clear

Profit ;)

Yeah I did that. leave it while I was sleeping (4 hours +-) and no errors. I hope I can fix this =(

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
Oh
This might sound stupid, but clean the contacts on both boards of the cart.

I see without a cart, the mvs test looks nice, so for me is either just a dirty board contacts, or maybe just a bad ram ic ( from my experience)...

Edit: with a cart inserted and volume up, do you hear any " click, click" repeated sound from the speakers?

Last edited:

Hakeshu

n00b
Oh
This might sound stupid, but clean the contacts on both boards of the cart.

I see without a cart, the mvs test looks nice, so for me is either just a dirty board contacts, or maybe just a bad ram ic ( from my experience)...

Edit: with a cart inserted and volume up, do you hear any " click, click" repeated sound from the speakers?

I did a fast cleaning on the cartridges, not on the board yet.
Well I don't remember hearing any noise at all, will check again later.

Hakeshu

n00b
Hey dragonpt,

Did some tests last night.

Cleaned both carts and slot. Still no boot yet.

I got kof98 and 95. KoF98 boots directly into that "garbish" screen and don't change. Kof95 boots a black screen (with a bit of flickering), stays black for some soconds and flashs to the "garbish" screen.
Got the RAM TEST running once more for 6+ hours and no errors were showed.

There's any diagnostic tool or a way to identify if there's a bad ic on my board?

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Did the board work before you did the mod?

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
Well sorry for that

If there's no "click click" repeated sound coming from speakers (i.e.: a calendar issue) , the only thing i can think about is a bad line from the mvs cart connector.
Your wiring seems ok ,since without a cart the mvs test screen is there and picture looks good.

There's a diagnostic bios, just like Jason says...

Maybe someone with more experience can speak and help you out for sure ;)

Hakeshu

n00b
Thanks for the reply all of you guys. I found a guy here specialized on MVS/AES and he's going to take a look at my device. Lets hope for the best :)