MV-1FZ and kof 2000 issues

geise

Mickey's Coach
I recently bought a kof 2k cart that is perfectly legit. I have major graphic issues with the cart. All the graphics are garbled for backgrounds and characters. The text, menu bars, and character icons are all fine, as is the sound. I cleaned the contacts with alcohol, a pink eraser, and even some very fine sandpaper and still no go. All my other mvs carts work perfectly fine. This is being played on a MV-1FZ that is connected to a mini supergun. The power supply is is running +5v 5A and +12V 2A. Sadly the poweer supply is not adjustable. I noticed on hardMVS that the FZ board requires +5v at 7A. Could a voltage issue cause garbled graphics? I looked at all the solder joints and they look good. Also the kof 2000 cart is Set 2. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here are some pics:

DSC04043.jpg

DSC04045.jpg

Last edited:

alphagamer

Aero Fighters Flyboy
The official SNK data from the manuals (which are cited on hardMVS) is way off from reality. 5 ampere is more than enough, so it's not that.

mjs256

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
Do you have other games to check? If it is a problem with just this one game then it looks like a problem with the C ROMs.

geise

Mickey's Coach
Yeah every mvs cart I own works fine. It's just this one giving me issues. This is the largest (meg wise) cart I own. I didn't know if larger carts would affect anything. I am thinking it's the C roms, but it's so hard to really see if one is bad or not. Would any other roms cause this issue? I know the C roms would be where I would want to start. What about the M1 rom?

alphagamer

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Higher meg count games draw more current, but 5v 5a is still more than sufficient.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Depending how old the other games are the newer larger games use higher address lines on the C roms where the older ones use the lower address lines. Since it's an FZ first thing is to check is if the riser card is seated 100%, if it is then you need to check continuity from the slot to the lower board. There could be some corrosion in the pin holes on the card connectors.

geise

Mickey's Coach
I checked continuity and I'm getting good readings with every contact. The biggest MVS cart I have at the moment is Blazing Star. I didn't notice any bad traces either. The MV-1FZ board is in good condition. I also didn't see any corrosion in the cart slot contacts. I'll have to double check the cart. Would just one bad cold solder joint cause that much of a graphic issue? BTW thank you all for the help! It is very much appreciated!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If it's the set 2 type KOF2k2 then you might want to verigy the P roms as I know one of them is a windowed eprom. If you want you can ship it over to me and I can take a look at it but I'd hold off until you get another higher meg game to confirm it's the cart and not the board.

When I said corrosion, I didn't say cart slot, I said card connectors which are the 3 connectors that connect the upper and lower boards on the FZ.

geise

Mickey's Coach
A little update. I recently received Metal Slug 3 in the mail. I popped it in and it worked perfect. So, it's more than likely my kof 2000 cart. I'll have to see if I can mess with it. It's been cleaned to death, so it's probably a bad solder joint. That's all I can think off. All the traces look good. I'll have to pull out the multimeter. Thanks again for the help.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Check if any of the C roms have cracks on the top of them. Either way if any of the C roms are bad it's just cheaper and easy to get a new cart since that game is pretty low in price.