MV-1F Video RAM Error

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
%5BUNSET%5D

Bad RAM chip or trace? or something else?

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Check the upper video ram, looks to be missing control signals. WE, CE and OE.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
There should be two chips labeled Sony CXK5814P-35L, it's one of those.

Last edited:

mjs256

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
There should be two chips labeled Sony CXK5814P-35L, it's one of those.

Yes, it is one of the CXK5814P-35L chips - they are the fast video RAM. In my experience it is almost always a bad chip and not a bad trace with these. From the error message it looks like only one of the two is bad.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I'd recommend to solder a socket in there. These chips don't take to heat too good and sometimes the replacement you get might be bad, so having a socket will safe you some worries.

mr_e

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I'd recommend to solder a socket in there. These chips don't take to heat too good and sometimes the replacement you get might be bad, so having a socket will safe you some worries.

Aren't the ram chips surface mount?

sonix

n00b
I have this error video ram error address 00008000 write 5555 read 0000. I replaced the both chips and nothing has changed. Does anyone has an solution.video ram error.jpg

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You have to check the control lines since the read says 0000. That means it's not getting any control signals.

Asure

Captain Dick,
Take some pictures of the general area around the new chips you installed.. maybe some traces cracked..

sonix

n00b
I've checked the traces already on top and bottom with a multimeter. The problem occurred when i accidentally plugged the jamma harness in with power on. Isn't there a fuse that coould be blown?

Asure

Captain Dick,
There are no fuses on any MVS motherboard. There _is_ lots of 74LS logic chips (and flatpack integrated versions of these) that do not like the massive voltage spike/inrush you gave them. You need a logic probe and some basic understanding of electronics to fix this.

Also you need to post much, much more details about this problem. We're not wizards. No crystal ball..
So we need to know which version mainboard, how many slots, how it happened (three posts later you tell us you fucked up.. etc.) And when someone asks for pictures, it's not just to see broken traces, we could have known the motherboard by now and instead i'm wasting time typing this post asking you _again_.

Anyway, you can do some tests on the rams and see if anything changes. But the 0000 read, that's a bad sign.

See http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=24021 for my repair log.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Check pins 18, 20 and 21. 18 and 20 are grounded and 21 is connected to the LSPC2(86?).

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Also, you sure you didn't damage any of the connections when removing the old chips? If you desoldered everything right then it should be working after you replaced both chips.

sonix

n00b
pins 18 and 20 are grounded on both chip and 21 has good connection on pin86. I'm affraid that something els has fried. I also checked if the chips have power and ground those are ok also.