MP3 players, DAPs, lossless, HiFi HELP!

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I want to buy a dedicated MP3 player, but they all seem to be garbage unless I wanna drop $400+

Any of you guys have any recommendations for a decent MP3 player nowadays?

I was eyeballing the iRULU F20 for $200, seemed to be a decent one and right around what I want to spend.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Get a low-end Fiio. They sound great, and each microSD slot can take up to 128GB. Just drop files on the card and the unit sorts them. I bought an older X1 model from a member here and I love it for my lossless files, but they're cheap enough to just play low res stuff as well.

Almightyburner

Kabuki Klasher
PONO OR NOTHING

Actually, I loved the shit out of my 256GB iPod Classic. It no longer connects to my computers. I'm not sure if the device is faulty, or if an iTunes or Windows update fucked it up. It plays fine, but is not recognized by my PC or laptop.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Get a low-end Fiio. They sound great, and each microSD slot can take up to 128GB. Just drop files on the card and the unit sorts them. I bought an older X1 model from a member here and I love it for my lossless files, but they're cheap enough to just play low res stuff as well.

I was eyeballing a few of those. Good to hear.

That Pono is interesting. Looks kinda big?

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I was eyeballing a few of those. Good to hear.

That Pono is interesting. Looks kinda big?

I think he was joking. Pono flopped hard on both the casual the hifi markets. Poor Neil.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Sink your money into better headphones.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Another vote for Fiio. I love my X1, although if I were to do it again I'd buy one of the higher end models.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Another vote for Fiio. I love my X1, although if I were to do it again I'd buy one of the higher end models.

I was eyeing the X3 or X5 maybe - the X7 looks nice but I don't love the idea of all touch screen.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I was eyeing the X3 or X5 maybe - the X7 looks nice but I don't love the idea of all touch screen.

My only gripe with the X1 is that the headphone amp isn't powerful enough for the larger cans I like to wear, so I ended up buying a separate amp. It would be handy to have a dedicated line output as well instead of having to switch in the menu.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
My only gripe with the X1 is that the headphone amp isn't powerful enough for the larger cans I like to wear, so I ended up buying a separate amp. It would be handy to have a dedicated line output as well instead of having to switch in the menu.

Yeah, my headphones are pretty large as well, we'll see - I bought that Cowon Plenue D, the reviews seem stellar except for laggy scrolling through files...it's amazon, I can test drive this weekend and return it if it sucks. That X7 is probably my backup.

I'll post up my impressions as well.