Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Brave One
-Didn't know where it wanted to go, great casting but then that's about it

King Of Kong
-I'm shocked the non-gaming people I watched it with liked it

No Reservations
-God I hate this movie

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The Fugitive -- can't believe it took me this long to finally sit down and watch it. What a balls to the wall, nonstop suspense ride.

Nesagwa, if I make a Tommy Lee Jones Appreciation thread, will you post in it?

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Juno- Saw it today, thought it was OK, but certainly not Oscar-worthy.
So much of her dialogue just reeks of Kevin Smith disease, where a 30-something hipster writes things for another character to say, and thus sounds just like that.
There were good moments, but she was the least believable character in the film.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
LoneSage said:
The Fugitive -- can't believe it took me this long to finally sit down and watch it. What a balls to the wall, nonstop suspense ride.

Nesagwa, if I make a Tommy Lee Jones Appreciation thread, will you post in it?
I hated him in that movie. His winning best Supporting Actor marks the exact point in time when I stopped watching or giving a mad fuck about the Oscars. He should be embarrassed for accepting money for that wooden performance. In fact, it's hard for me to enjoy him in any movie because of the job he did in Fugitive.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Loopz said:
Juno- Saw it today, thought it was OK, but certainly not Oscar-worthy.
So much of her dialogue just reeks of Kevin Smith disease, where a 30-something hipster writes things for another character to say, and thus sounds just like that.
There were good moments, but she was the least believable character in the film.

Thank you. My thoughts exactly.

Stupid movie. The only thing that could have redeemed it was if Peter Weller appeared and shot everyone up, before getting into a dual with Optimus Prime. A dual that would be his last.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:
I hated him in that movie. His winning best Supporting Actor marks the exact point in time when I stopped watching or giving a mad fuck about the Oscars. He should be embarrassed for accepting money for that wooden performance. In fact, it's hard for me to enjoy him in any movie because of the job he did in Fugitive.
you're banned from the Tommy Lee Jones Appreciation thread.

I won't even allow you to talk about him in Blown Away.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
wasabi said:
Thank you. My thoughts exactly.

Stupid movie. The only thing that could have redeemed it was if Peter Weller appeared and shot everyone up, before getting into a dual with Optimus Prime. A dual that would be his last.

See, they could have MAYBE staved off that effect if they had done more to establish her character...but the way the movie unravels, I just didn't believe that she would know all that shit about the Melvins and whatnot.

Meh. I think I'm also getting sick of the pseudo-indie movie phenomenon, where they dress up all these flicks just like Napoleon Dynamite with the whole quirky artistic credits and marketing campaigns. It's fine if they are good, but with a flick like this I just felt kinda burned.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Loopz said:
See, they could have MAYBE staved off that effect if they had done more to establish her character...but the way the movie unravels, I just didn't believe that she would know all that shit about the Melvins and whatnot.

Meh. I think I'm also getting sick of the pseudo-indie movie phenomenon, where they dress up all these flicks just like Napoleon Dynamite with the whole quirky artistic credits and marketing campaigns. It's fine if they are good, but with a flick like this I just felt kinda burned.

Why would anyone want to watch a fake indie movie? Back in the 90s, indie movies were cool, but you didn't know the actors. Now celebrities want to star in indie movies. If they tried to remake slacker or four corners of nowhere, today, you'd find them casted with Jennifer Connoly, Ben Afleck, and some other douche bags. The movie would be produced by Fox Searchlight, Warner Independent Films, or Sony. I just don't see indie movies as indie anymore.

I think we can all blame the evolution of indie films on Kevin Smith. Cashing on the success of Clerks, he went on to cast bigger stars in his indie films. The line was blurred. None of them knew the movies weren't indie...

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
wasabi said:
The only thing that could have redeemed it was if Peter Weller appeared and shot everyone up, before getting into a dual with Optimus Prime. A dual that would be his last.

That would be good stuff right there.

On another note:

Spider Man 3- Pretty much shit, I would fuck Gwen Stacy tho.

King of Kong- Awesome, fuck Billy his henchmen and his wife. Watch this shit if you haven't, seriously.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Finally saw Letters from Iwo Jima yesterday, very well done but very sad movie.

I almost wish I hadn't seen it with the way some of those guys killed themselves in the caves. :crying:

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
SouthtownKid said:

Very true.

I didn't like the film anyway (I did not kill my wife!!!), but that Oscar was BS. Didn't it rob someone from Unforgiven from their well deserved Oscar too? Extra reason to resent it...

That little rant about the donuts. Ugh. Horrible.

He does coffee commericials in Japan..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26PwuCj3d8A

Rented 3:10 to Yuma on Xbox last night. The movie was pretty good most of the way through, until the end where Ben Wade decides it would be a good moral thing for him to do to continue running for the train so that Evans could have a good story to tell his son. That HE got Ben Wade on the 3:10 To Yuma, a story of character a father can be proud of, and Ben Wade agreed. That almost ruined the whole movie for me it was so stupid.

Also watched Elizabeth The Golden Age. Now, this I liked alot, however it's so vast in scope that it really feels like you just skip over huge parts of history to get to the big finale at the end. I wanted to see more of Mary Stuart and less of Raleigh. Not as good as Elizabeth.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Ben Wade was an excellent character. If you think about it, he was always a moral guy - the good guys in the movie were exploiting the people and Evans was just a law abiding loser.

Hippee

Sgt. Pistachio,
I saw Jumpr yesterday.

I thought it would be terrible - but I was surprised with how it was. It was entertaining. And Sam Jackson was brought in pretty early - I thought that was a good choice - I thought the movie would just be lovey-dovey omg I'm a mutant bullshit - but there isn't too much of that.

It's a decent movie. Fun time.

It occurred to me when I was watching that I shouldn't really dog the movie for having a mutant in it. It seems like 'mutant' movies could be a subgenre - sorta like zombie movies. Can't hate on a zombie movie for having zombies in it, right?

wasabi said:
Ben Wade was an excellent character. If you think about it, he was always a moral guy - the good guys in the movie were exploiting the people and Evans was just a law abiding loser.

Except Wade kills everybody he sees. He's more of a megalomaniac than a moral guy, as like Himmler, he THINKS everyone he kills deserves it in some manner. You notice how everytime a marshal or someone confronts him about people he's killed, he has some excuse on why it was justified? Fucking crazy person, hardly moral, unless killing everyone who gets on your nerves is someone with a strong center.

Evans was probably mentally unstable from the war and the loss of his leg, which is obvious the way he lost the leg bothers him and he has major self respect issues, as in none. Wade is a psychopath. A likeable one though. :smirk:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
They Live -- caught this on HBO or something for the first time since like 9th grade, still an awesome flick. Love the ending. Those aliens look so damn creepy in B&W.

As an aside, I saw that Memoirs of an Invisible Man was on today too, and looking on wikipedia now I just found out it's a Carpenter movie! What the hell, I had no idea, I used to rent that a lot when I was a kid. Kinda pissed now, hope it comes on again.

td741

, NOTE: Please add 16 points to his feedback., --
Went to a free screening of "In Bruges" last night.

My wife and I liked it, but I can see why it's sort of in limbo for release in North America (and elsewhere?). Not to give too much away, there is an element in the story that makes perfect sense for the story itself but the treatment might be a little jarring for a mainstream audience. (This element is not found or hinted at in the trailer.)

Trailer: http://www.alliancefilms.com/en/34/trailers/play_trailer/11370/default_high/all/12/

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Already whored it out in the War Room, but 3:10 to Yuma is a perfect film.

Can't remember the last time I thought something was perfect.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
Gone Baby Gone-Fantastic movie from start to finish. 9/10. I can't believe for as well reviewed this movie was, it did so little at the box office.

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
Gameoz said:
Gone Baby Gone-Fantastic movie from start to finish. 9/10. I can't believe for as well reviewed this movie was, it did so little at the box office.

i watched this last night as well. very good, and well acted.

also, chuck and larry is hilarious.

merf

ViewtifulZFO

Street Hoop Star
LoneSage said:
Already whored it out in the War Room, but 3:10 to Yuma is a perfect film.

Can't remember the last time I thought something was perfect.

I'd say it's entertaining, but perfect by no means.

It feels a half hour too long, imo.

aria

Former Moderator
Gameoz said:

Blame the J-Lo/B-Flek aura that haunts Ben Affleck's work to this day.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
caught The Cable Guy for the first time in a long time.
i had mixed feelings when i saw it in theaters.
and then after that i didn't like it.
but now i realize what it was going for, and i love it.
Jim Carrey's finest performance.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I don't usually post in this thread despite the fact that I watch a lot of films, but...

Fido: One of the finest "Zombie" films I've ever seen.

I honestly don't think I've seen such a poignant view of socialized American problems (in this case the middle class) expressed through the point of its living dead inhabitants since Romero first came onto the scene.

My only real fault lies with the last portions of the film which could have been made infinitely better had the budget been a bit more substantial... but... given what they had to work with, I can't help but to consider the film an all around success from every point.

Also, as a Cronenberg fan I'm ashamed to admit that I just saw Eastern Promises for the first time today.

After "A History of Violence", a film I enjoyed, I'm still on the fence about this style of directing that Cronenberg has taken a liking to lately.

It's not that I don't enjoy these pieces, but I think on the whole, I appreciate the more "way fucking out there" Cronenberg a lot more than the "this is fucked but in a realistic kind of way" Cronenberg.

I enjoyed the film the a great deal mind you (penis doesn't do much for me but I have to admit that sauna fight scene was intense), but I hope the man starts to drift back into the more surreal/unbelievably nightmarish bits of movie making.

Last edited: