Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Godzilla x Kong

Hot off the back of a rather grounded and serious Godzilla film (Minus One), we get this absolutely peak stupid flick and I am here for it.

I won't dip into spoilers since it just dropped, but I found it very stupid and very fun. The human characters are less intrusive here, with Kong taking center stage and Godzilla a bit off to the side. Most noticably it was a very bright and colorful film, with almost all of it taking place in the daylight and some fun trippy colors inside Hollow Earth.

The last 30 minutes go pretty hard, but I wasn't bored waiting for shit to go down since there was enough sprinkled in prior.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
with Kong taking center stage and Godzilla a bit off to the side.
Again...? I was afraid of that. Maybe Legendary is preparing for when their license agreement with Toho runs out, so they can potentially continue their "Monsterverse" series without Godzilla.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Again...? I was afraid of that. Maybe Legendary is preparing for when their license agreement with Toho runs out, so they can potentially continue their "Monsterverse" series without Godzilla.
I was totally fine with it since Kong had more personality and things to do (and G-Man has enough movies of him out there), but if you were hoping for more G and less K then you'd probably find this disappointing in that regard for sure.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Assault of Precinct 13
Somewhere between OK and fine. I like the idea of Night of the Living Dead but with hoodlums. Acting is terrible though. And I liked the synth bass song the first 12 times they played it but it got annoying after that.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I mean, he has some personality in the late '60s movies where he's doing a dance, shaking a giant robot's hand, etc.

There's precedent for a goofy Godzilla with a tiny bit of personality, no question.

But the monster as created, for the purpose it was created, was not meant to be a character. The characters of the movies are the humans trying to deal with this shambling disaster or force of nature.

So in that sense, I can see why Legendary is pivoting to Kong. Because they can have him emote in a cartoony way and use him as a pseudo-character. They can give him those kind of over-exaggerated, almost-Pixar-esque facial expressions. But that is not interesting to me at all. As far as King Kong goes, I have an appreciation for the 1933 movie, and that's it. Don't care about the '70s remake other than the Barry score (even though I liked it as a small kid), could not give less of a shit about Peter Jackson's predictably bloated 2000s version.

So I'll watch the new movie. I liked the last one well enough. I'm just disappointed that last movie's shift to having Kong take center stage over Godzilla wasn't a one-off.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yeah he should never have a personality at all. In some movies he's not as much of a danger to the humans since he's essentially protecting them even though they're usually too stupid to realize it until the end of the movie so they attack him. Even that's too much of a character trait/way to make the audience feel sympathy for him. He should have zero consideration for humanity, that's far more interesting.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I was kind of bummed out watching the trailer when they explained that in prehistoric times, Godzilla was the protector of nature, and Kong was the protector of mankind. Motherfucker, in prehistoric times, mankind WAS nature. I guess I already put more thought into it in the less than one second of hearing that and reacting than they did in the entire however many months they spent writing it. You know, whatever. It will probably be fun, so fuck it. It's just little shit like that irritates me.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I was kind of bummed out watching the trailer when they explained that in prehistoric times, Godzilla was the protector of nature, and Kong was the protector of mankind. Motherfucker, in prehistoric times, mankind WAS nature. I guess I already put more thought into it in the less than one second of hearing that and reacting than they did in the entire however many months they spent writing it. You know, whatever. It will probably be fun, so fuck it. It's just little shit like that irritates me.
I think taking all of that plot important stuff makes sense it certain films, but not in a movie where Kong gets a giant-robo arm to fight another giant ape with a whip made out of bone--embrace the stupid in this instance.

Anyway:

I'm fine with Godzilla having a personality, just as I am fine with him being whatever else the writer/director want to make him. Godzilla is a very diverse set of films and the variety in all of those films is probably the most interesting aspect of it all to me. So when I see Godzilla do a flying dropkick to Megalon or if I see him being a mindless embodiment of mankind-wrought destruction, I am happy so long as what is being made is well done.

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member

Fuck those shitty movies like Dune Part 2, this is the real shit right here. I've never bought something so fast. It's 14 potential shitty reviews from me to appear in this thread soon... I'm mostly looking forward to Cameroon Connection and Enter Three Dragons. There's even a movie with Richard Harrison in it which makes me hope for scans of the shitty HK and Filipino movies he was in, that dude deserves a boxset of his own.

By the way, I like how the home video market is so unquestionably abandoned that these releases are viable and not even copyright trolls get wind of it. Even in the trailer for the boxset you hear improperly licensed music from those movies (including the same Isaac Hayes song getting ripped again in "Three Dragons", just like in Dynamo).

Purchase link, plz.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Purchase link, plz.
buy nao or become goob forever

I just realized Challenge of the Tiger is the movie where Richard Harrison is a gigachad who has nude big breasted women play tennis inside his harem mansion. In slow motion. That's one of the most glorious pairs I've seen in a motion picture, well worth buying for that 1080p view. :cheers:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Tales From The Hood- This is worth watching for Clarence Williams III's performance as the funeral director alone. It's also just a really solid horror anthology that I think doesn't get the credit that it deserves. All four stories are excellent, mixing in themes of civil rights and other socially conscious black issues with horror and a bit of dark comedy works extremely well. The effects are also pretty awesome, David Allen Grier's death as "The Monster" and the dolls in the Corbin Bernsen segment are highlights. Sure it's 90's as hell and some of the performances are a little goofy but that just adds charm, overall it holds up surprisingly well.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Assault of Precinct 13
Somewhere between OK and fine. I like the idea of Night of the Living Dead but with hoodlums. Acting is terrible though. And I liked the synth bass song the first 12 times they played it but it got annoying after that.
Boo this man, boooooooo
I thought darwin joston was perfect in this movie. Dunno about any terrible acting aside from the two secretaries which are alright.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
DBZ: Cooler's Revenge

They don't give you even a fucking minute before the Drowing Pool starts... ANYWAY, this one rules almost solely for Cooler. The formula is in full effect here and Goku going SS doesn't have nearly the weight as it does in the Frieza fight, but it is still great. Cooler's new final form is awesome and him slapping Goku around for a bit is fun as hell--as is Goku slapping around Cooler at the end. Once again, Piccolo does some cool things and it is enough to make me happy. Overall, still feels like a step down from the first couple of films and as stated, Cooler pulls a lot of the weight here.

promking

Armored Scrum Object
Tales From The Hood- This is worth watching for Clarence Williams III's performance as the funeral director alone. It's also just a really solid horror anthology that I think doesn't get the credit that it deserves. All four stories are excellent, mixing in themes of civil rights and other socially conscious black issues with horror and a bit of dark comedy works extremely well. The effects are also pretty awesome, David Allen Grier's death as "The Monster" and the dolls in the Corbin Bernsen segment are highlights. Sure it's 90's as hell and some of the performances are a little goofy but that just adds charm, overall it holds up surprisingly well.
This is one of those movies that reminds me of old school HBO. Love this movie, we usually watch it every October. But one of my favorites, I love the creepy dolls.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Godzilla- The OG Japanese version. Honestly this is pretty rough but there's definitely still something there. The performances aren't exactly great, the editing and direction are sloppy and even for the time the effects aren't all that great. Despite all that there's an intangible quality to it that transcends everything. Maybe it's the message, maybe it's the metaphor or maybe it's just Godzilla himself. Not something I'll likely rewatch anytime soon but I certainly didn't feel like I wasted my time.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
IMG_1437.jpeg
I’ll be catching this one w/ my kids opening weekend. Can’t wait!

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Creepshow 2- Eh, this is just such a huge step down from the first. When George Kennedy is the biggest star you know you're in trouble. It's produced by Roger Corman's company and it shows big time. The animation looks like shit. There's only 3 segments and they all feel too long. The writing is downright embarrassing at times and it lacks any visual flair. Most importantly it doesn't have any humor. It's still enjoyable but is pretty much the definition of mediocre.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Terminators 1, 2 and "3".

T1: Shit holds up after 40 years. Amazing.
T2: Still holds up. Furlong is a terrible actor but fantastic movie.
T3: Still holds up as being terrible. We get to see Kristanna Loken's ass and ass dimples. Thats the only good thing about it. What a shitshow. A joke (literally) of a sequel to an amazing duology of movies.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Deathstalker II: Duel of the Titans- This is a total 180 from the original Deathstalker, that movie was a grimy, rape filled nightmare. This one is a cartoonish lighthearted comedy that has more in common with Romancing the Stone than Conan. Monique Gabrielle plays dual roles as the the princess and her evil twin. She's just terrible but in an adorably self aware goofy way. The cocky douchebag from Chopping Mall plays Deathstalker and he's still a cocky douchebag but now he has a sword. The plot is of no importance, it's just an excuse to get a bunch of 80's babes in leather bikinis and have a couple action scenes.

The movie has a weird vibe to it, it's a straight up comedy but there's a ton of skin and some violence. It's also really weird looking, obviously it's super cheap but everything is shot really bright and flat so there's zero effort to try and hide just how cheap it is. It really feels like a bunch of people just playing dress up and goofing around. It's only like 75 minutes long and there's always some action, boobs or humor so it flies by pretty quickly and doesn't overstay its welcome. It's honestly an enjoyable movie if you know what you're in for.

Last edited: