Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I was gonna say Foundation.

What about Phillip K. Dick?
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (novel Blade Runner was based on)
Total Recall
The Man in the High Castle
Minority Report
A Scanner Darkly
If anyone needs Dick info, feel free to come to me. I have a nearly complete Dick collection. Even visited his old house in Berkeley a few years ago. His stuff is pretty out there, though. It's definitely sci-fi, but not in the same realm as Clark, Asimov, Wells, etc. It definitely doesn't touch on the "hard" sci-fi subgenre. By the way, I'd recommend The Stars, My Destination – it's a solid sci-fi story and is also arguably the first depiction of cybernetic body modifications a la cyberpunk.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I really think Frank Herbert stands alone. I haven't read anything of his besides the Dune novels (and I'm nearly done with the fifth book in that series) but I'd put Dune head and shoulders above anything I've read from Dick, Clarke, Heinlen, Asimov, Card, etc.

After I finish my Dune kick I'll probably seek out Herbert's other work to see how it compares.

Also, unrelated, but errybody should read Sirens of Titan by Vonnegut.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
If you think so, your brain was probably already turned off. Maybe you turned it off for some other movie some time back and forgot to turn it back on.
Also, this.

People can like or dislike the movie but its satire is so political and heavy handed that if you aren't at least recognizing the messaging and think this is just Proto-Bay, you're definitely not really watching it.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I really think Frank Herbert stands alone. I haven't read anything of his besides the Dune novels (and I'm nearly done with the fifth book in that series) but I'd put Dune head and shoulders above anything I've read from Dick, Clarke, Heinlen, Asimov, Card, etc.

After I finish my Dune kick I'll probably seek out Herbert's other work to see how it compares.

And what’s your takeaway on Sirens?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I was gonna say Foundation.

What about Phillip K. Dick?
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (novel Blade Runner was based on)
Total Recall
The Man in the High Castle
Minority Report
A Scanner Darkly

Dick is good :emb: Have read Man In The High Castle and Do Androids Dream. Started A Scanner Darkly and I should reread it - that book was a trip! I didn’t know he did total recall or minority report.

Prob an unpopular opinion - I liked Foundation but not as much as some of his other stuff. I really liked The Gods Themselves and Nemesis - I'd say those are my favorites of his. Caves of Steele The Naked Sun; and I, Robot are all really good.

What have you read of Arthur C. Clarke? Childhood's End, 2001, and Rendezvous with Rama are all very good.

I liked the first Foundation book, I stalled out on the 2nd (or whichever one had “The Mule”)

Have not read any Clarke.

Guess I’m going to have to betray the working class and buy a lot of books on Amazon tonight.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

I love Vonnegut. He’s probably the author whose work I’ve read the most of.

Really love his short stories and I actually like Player Piano, his first novel.

Lately I’ve been reading a lot of the works Gary Gygax et al attributed to the influence of Dungeon and Dragons (the so called “Appendix N”)

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I *ahem* was not a fan of Foundation.

I liked the Robots books though.

+1 for Arthur C Clarke.

Rama and Childhood's End are my fave fave faves.

famicommander

15 Year Member
And what’s your takeaway on Sirens?
It's your standard determinism vs free will story, I just really like Vonnegut's humor and prose.

We read Harrison Bergeron in school when I was a kid and when my dad heard that, he gave me his copy of Sirens.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I need to read some John Carter of Mars stuff.
If you read the first one, you've basically read them all. I like them, but to say they're formulaic would be an understatement. Much more fantasy than science fiction, by the way.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
A Black Widow II with Johanneson would be dumb. Retconning her back to life would be even worse.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
If you read the first one, you've basically read them all. I like them, but to say they're formulaic would be an understatement. Much more fantasy than science fiction, by the way.

Good to know! Science Fantasy is a fantastic genre.

famicommander

15 Year Member
They don't even have to retcon shit if they want her back (not saying they should).

Loki, Spiderman 3, and Dr Strange 2 are all about the multiverse. Ready made excuse to reuse any actors as parallel versions of their former characters.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
STK what did you think of the John Carter movie, if you watched it?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Aaaand there goes any chance of a Black Widow II or somehow retconning Widow back into the MCU post-Endgame.

I think Disney will buckle and give her streaming royalties. Not paying her any online streaming revenue when the movie was signed for pre-covid is an incredible bait and switch.

fake

15 Year Member
I think Disney will buckle and give her streaming royalties. Not paying her any online streaming revenue when the movie was signed for pre-covid is an incredible bait and switch.
TBH I'm surprised Disney - especially Marvel Studios - even gives gross % to anyone.

fake

15 Year Member
Dick is good :emb: Have read Man In The High Castle and Do Androids Dream. Started A Scanner Darkly and I should reread it - that book was a trip! I didn’t know he did total recall or minority report.

I liked the first Foundation book, I stalled out on the 2nd (or whichever one had “The Mule”)

Have not read any Clarke.

Guess I’m going to have to betray the working class and buy a lot of books on Amazon tonight.

I had the same experience with Foundation. Like the first one but really didn't click with the second.

(You could always buy direct from the publisher or an independent store rather than Amazon.)

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I had the same experience with Foundation. Like the first one but really didn't click with the second.

(You could always buy direct from the publisher or an independent store rather than Amazon.)

I’m addicted to convenience.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

The suit against them has to be terrible PR given that Johansson appears to be well liked by the public.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
If you think so, your brain was probably already turned off. Maybe you turned it off for some other movie some time back and forgot to turn it back on.
LOL, satire it may be, but also a bombastic visual/audio feast full of humour. Perhaps relax a little on the next viewing?