Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Great movie that I never want to watch again.

Agreed. Depressing is an understatement.

Also, Combat Shock is a nasty piece of work that was distributed by Troma back in the day.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Shadow - the newest Zhang Yimou film (dude who directed Hero and other good stuff). The first half wasn't great, the second half was great, totally surprised me and made it worth it. Still very predictable but had some unique ideas in concerns to weapons and fighting.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The Meg
It's 100% what you'd expect from this kind of movie. Something worse than Jaws, but better than Sharknado. Just above B-movie production values with a B-movie script. I thought it was over, and realized there was an hour left..... It's too rigid for the type of movie that it is. They went a little too serious with the tone, and any comic relief just felt forced.

Mission Impossible - Fallout
Very gritty. I got a great sense of exhaustion from all the characters. You really feel like they are all on the edge of collapsing mentally and physically. The plot is standard MI, so it's a constant roller coaster of antagonists. The twists were good enough that I wasn't rolling my eyes. The chase scenes are top notch, and the combat is pretty brutal this time around. Again, it's that exhaustion where they keep having dig deep to land one last punch. I know people question whether this series should keep going, but I'm perfectly fine with it.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Can anyone recommend Wes Craven's "Deadly Friend"? Is it any good?

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Hotel Artemis
Tried to go for that John Wick vibe, but I feel it falls short. The setting is right, and the acting is decent. The plot focused too much on building Jodi Foster's background.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Saw Venom with the wife today.

Wish I hadn't.

At least it was only $12.00 for both tickets. Went to the comic store afterwards and picked up the Bersserk Official Guide book and volumes 1 and 2 of the Goblin Slayer manga. Also, the 5E LotR campaign guide for Eriabor.

So the trip out wasn't a total waste of effort. I got some good reading material out of it.

Oh, and Hardy is good in the role, as he is good in everything. Just too bad the everything else is bad.

games_sk

Mr. Big's Thug
Will be watching Venom on Wednesday with a friend. He always chooses bad movies to watch. Next time I'm going to pick the movie damn it!

I'm looking forward to Bad Times at El Royale and Bohemian Rhapsody...

fake

15 Year Member
I rewatched The Witch. I saw it when it came out in theaters and I might have liked it even more this time. I'd still say it's not scary, and I think that it actually is kind of funny in spots - close-ups of the hare and Black Phillip. The subtext isn't very subtle - strict adherence to religion causing paranoia and ripping me apart lisa.

I also watched Deep Red by Argento. It was OK. I know it's one of his more popular movies, but it was too long, wasn't very scary, wasn't super stylish, etc. Also, the version I rented was messed up. They mixed the dub with subtitled scenes spliced in from international versions of the movie. I don't know why they didn't just sub the whole thing or at least give you the option for Italian for the full movie.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I rewatched The Witch. I saw it when it came out in theaters and I might have liked it even more this time. I'd still say it's not scary, and I think that it actually is kind of funny in spots - close-ups of the hare and Black Phillip. The subtext isn't very subtle - strict adherence to religion causing paranoia and ripping me apart lisa.

I also watched Deep Red by Argento. It was OK. I know it's one of his more popular movies, but it was too long, wasn't very scary, wasn't super stylish, etc. Also, the version I rented was messed up. They mixed the dub with subtitled scenes spliced in from international versions of the movie. I don't know why they didn't just sub the whole thing or at least give you the option for Italian for the full movie.

I was thinking about the Witch last night in bed (this intimate moment I am sharing with you), and specifically thinking about the brother coming back bewitched, and waking from the coma to cough up the small apple. Thinking about how he was raped by the witch. I think Black Philip wasn't scary so much as the things the movie didn't show us.

fake

15 Year Member
I was thinking about the Witch last night in bed (this intimate moment I am sharing with you), and specifically thinking about the brother coming back bewitched, and waking from the coma to cough up the small apple. Thinking about how he was raped by the witch. I think Black Philip wasn't scary so much as the things the movie didn't show us.

Oh, yeah. The apple. I like how for such a non-mainstream movie, they use pretty traditional symbols - an unbaptized baby and an apple.

One thing I might've changed is when Black Phillip takes on a human form. We just hear the squishing of his leather clothes, and we only see his boot and his gloved hand. I wonder if it would've been cheesy or scary if we saw a cloven foot and hear a two-footed gate, to indicate he's walking upright. And then we saw a fucked up hand on Thomasin's shoulder.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Watched Oprah Winfrey's (tm) Wrinkle in Time.

What. The fuck. Was that.

As a fan of the books, this thing stunk like shit from the get go. The story was barely recognizable, and the director kept focusing on stupid CGI over telling the story.

They cut out important shit, and kept talking about "warriors" every five seconds.

Man fuck that movie.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
The First Purge
Rather good for a prequel. You don't get this level of pointless violence anymore. The gang leader could easily be the next Wesley Snipes. The stabby guy should win an award. That guy came off as a genuine addict / crazy fucker. CG is not great. It's on par with British television CGI (quite bad), but it's mainly just used for blood spray.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

As a fan of the books, this thing stunk like shit from the get go. The story was barely recognizable, and the director kept focusing on stupid CGI over telling the story.

They cut out important shit, and kept talking about "warriors" every five seconds.

Man fuck that movie.

It was a tough book to turn into a movie.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
It was a tough book to turn into a movie.
Yeah that's true. Most of L'Engle's preachyness was excised, which is cool but I can't seen them doing Swiftly Tilting Planet or Wind in the Door for that same reason.

Speaking of preachy, I can't wait for the BBC adaptation of the Dark Materials series. Loved those books, and the first big Budget adaptation was mangled because of Christians. So it'll be nice to see a better version, hopefully.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
The First Purge
Rather good for a prequel. You don't get this level of pointless violence anymore. The gang leader could easily be the next Wesley Snipes. The stabby guy should win an award. That guy came off as a genuine addict / crazy fucker. CG is not great. It's on par with British television CGI (quite bad), but it's mainly just used for blood spray.

I thought the first two Purge movies were ok but after checking the reviews on the The First Purge, I passed. Amazon has that shit at 2 1/2 stars which is pretty bad.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member

Man fuck that movie.
You could tell they muffed it just from the trailer.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

Deep Red is a chore, and it divides fans. The length is definitely my issue with it and why I’ve only seen it twice or so. I can’t actually recall, it’s been years. The little Easter Eggs throughout are great and rewarding though, like the Mother’s reflection in the mirror at the end. I need to revisit it again, I love Goblin’s soundtrack.

fake

15 Year Member
Deep Red is a chore, and it divides fans. The length is definitely my issue with it and why I’ve only seen it twice or so. I can’t actually recall, it’s been years. The little Easter Eggs throughout are great and rewarding though, like the Mother’s reflection in the mirror at the end. I need to revisit it again, I love Goblin’s soundtrack.

OK, good to know. Haha yeah the Goblin soundtrack is great! I need to watch the Jennifer Connely movie by Argento again. I was exhausted when I tried to watch it years ago and I fell asleep.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Deep Red is probably my favorite Argento.

Least favorite: Dracula. Couldn't even make it all the way through. I've never seen any filmmaker fall off the way Argento did. His later movies like Giallo make Romero's last movies look like his first.

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
ALIENS! (you can BILL ME! - warrant officer ripley)
great film, full of banter and char dynamics... :D

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Sicario: Day of the Soldado - probably my least favorite Taylor Sheridan movie. It was alright, and Alejandro is still a cool character, but losing the dynamic that Emily Blunt's character added to the original hurt a lot. And the ending was pretty stupid.