Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Although not a movie, I would say Godless is the best i saw this year!

Some noteable i really enjoyed this year...

Wind River
Shot Caller
The Babysitter
It Comes at Night
Headshot
Dunkirk
The Wailing not sure if its 2016 or 2017 but this was just so fucking good.
Memoirs of Murderer
The Last Jedi

I have a couple movies i haven't seen but im think they will make my top 10
Blade of the Immortal
Foreigner
Hostiles
Blade Runner

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
my favourite movies of 2017 were

john wick 2
the disaster artist
IT remake
logan

still need to watch the florida project, a ghost story and dunkirk.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
While it certainly has a science fiction element to it, Get Out is unquestionably a horror movie. Look at IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes, or any review of the film but more importantly, look at the language of the film. Part of what makes it good is that it alternates between dabbling in (the opening scene, the friend as the voice of reason/the audience, the thought-to-be-dead villain surprising the hero) and subverting horror movie cliches.

Ultimately, that's not important. I said that I enjoyed the film but was a little disappointed that it wasn't the end-all, be-all, every critic's Top 10 list, "Best Horror Movie in a Decade", potential Oscar nominee that it's been sold as. We both agree that it's a good movie. I just don't think it's worthy of the outsized praise it's receiving and you apparently disagree.

Well that’s a really long way to say agree to disagree.

Overall there are horror elements, but it’s not scary in the way horror movies are.

I don’t much follow the review sites. If it were up to them, everyone would be watching Star Wars XIII
Attaching a genre title to Get Out is surprisingly difficult and actually kind of controversial. Jordan Peele seemed somewhat offended when the Golden Globes nominated it for the Comedy Best Picture category (he tweeted that "Get Out is a documentary" and had some other comments).

It's not a horror movie, or a comedy, IMO. It's a social satire, first and foremost, that adds elements of the first two, in measures that inevitably vary by viewer. I kind of respect the hell out of Peele's ability to come up with something so undefineable, I guess?

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I still need to see Baby Driver.

Don't expect it to be a heist/car chase/action movie as they made it seem in the trailers. Because it's not... at all.

If the trailer hadn't been so misleading I probably would've enjoyed it. But I was expecting a car chase movie and had been seriously looking forward to a good car chase movie. And was severely pissed at what I got. It had another thing or two I had issues with, but the misleading trailers killed it for me.

Don't get me wrong though as it was well done. The editing of it was spectacular and that first few minute long chase in the beginning was excellent. Didn't quite care for Foxx's character (not sure if it was completely written like that or he made it so, but it was kinda wtf and out of place imo). But everyone else was great.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Baby Driver is primarily about dancing erotically for your deaf and disabled black caregiver while he makes exasperated faces at you.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Attaching a genre title to Get Out is surprisingly difficult and actually kind of controversial. Jordan Peele seemed somewhat offended when the Golden Globes nominated it for the Comedy Best Picture category (he tweeted that "Get Out is a documentary" and had some other comments).

It's not a horror movie, or a comedy, IMO. It's a social satire, first and foremost, that adds elements of the first two, in measures that inevitably vary by viewer. I kind of respect the hell out of Peele's ability to come up with something so undefineable, I guess?

It is unquestionably social satire and that's what's most important about it but that's not a movie genre. It uses the language of horror films to deliver its message. A horror movie can have social satire, comedy and/or intelligent writing.

As for the Golden Globes, they tend to shove anything in to the Comedy/Musical category that doesn't neatly fit in to the standard Oscar Best Picture drama mold (biographies, period pieces, depressing indie films, etc.). Fucking The Martian won that category last year.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Best movies I've seen in 2017 (whether in the theatre or Netflix):
Theater:
Dunkirk
Get Out
Last Jedi
Wonder Woman
Power Rangers
Sing
John Wick 2

Online / Streaming / Netflix / Amazon:
Suspiria
Uzumasa Limelight
The Void
The Babysitter
Chopping Mall
The Handmaiden
Okja

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Bright (Netflix)
I'm not really sure what I was expecting...and I guess I didn't really get much in return. First off, this felt like an odd ripoff of Alien Nation, second, this felt like it should have been part 2 to a part 1 that doesn't exist. It chucks you right into this weird world where you're supposed to know thousands of years of history, but you don't. It tries to fill in the blanks here and there, but does a rather shit job of doing it. In the end, I guess that idea is neat, but the application is poor. Also, there was absolutely no reason for this to be rated Mature...none at all. All of the cussing, violence, and nudity felt forced...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Bright (Netflix)
I'm not really sure what I was expecting...and I guess I didn't really get much in return. First off, this felt like an odd ripoff of Alien Nation, second, this felt like it should have been part 2 to a part 1 that doesn't exist. It chucks you right into this weird world where you're supposed to know thousands of years of history, but you don't. It tries to fill in the blanks here and there, but does a rather shit job of doing it. In the end, I guess that idea is neat, but the application is poor. Also, there was absolutely no reason for this to be rated Mature...none at all. All of the cussing, violence, and nudity felt forced...

Yup.

A lot of wasted potential.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Bright (Netflix)

The weird thing is... they already signed off for a sequel to this...

xROTx

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I only watched bit and pieces and so far, I don't like it. Besides, Max Landis is an overrated writer.

I had to look that guy up...doesn't seem like he has done much quality work...

What's funny is the RT score:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bright/

28% critic, 87% viewers....that's a weird gap. I understand the RT Last Jedi 90% critic, 50% viewer rating...many die hard fans don't like it and most critics are not die hard SW fans. Bright is a different story though, I'm not sure what viewers are seeing...the 28% seems right to me.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I went to see Jumanji on the weekend. I thought the trailer looked a lot of fun, but it didn't quite live up to it. It's probably not the film's fault, I'd say I'm about 20 years older than their target audience. It was amusing enough, but I won't be watching it again in a hurry.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I went to see Jumanji on the weekend. I thought the trailer looked a lot of fun, but it didn't quite live up to it. It's probably not the film's fault, I'd say I'm about 20 years older than their target audience. It was amusing enough, but I won't be watching it again in a hurry.

My daughter asked to see this...weather permitting, I'll take her next weekend. Like you, I'm expecting a "meh" from me, like from her...she's 9, it is what it is.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle

The perfect popcorn movie.

The action is fun.

The characters are lively.

The acting is engaging.

The jokes are funny and don't overstay their welcome.

The movie wears its own intentions on its sleeve. It has some sappy positivity but it also doesn't shy away from its own sexiness, which I found refreshing.

There are no deep messages here except one: sometimes, a story should be exactly what you expect of it.

Loved it. I won't call it the great movie of our times or anything, but eminently rewatchable. The kind of movie you can have on in the background when doing housework and stuff. Good times.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The weird thing is... they already signed off for a sequel to this...

xROTx

11 million views in the first weekend. New all-time record for anything on Netflix, according to Netflix.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle

The perfect popcorn movie.

The action is fun.

The characters are lively.

The acting is engaging.

The jokes are funny and don't overstay their welcome.

The movie wears its own intentions on its sleeve. It has some sappy positivity but it also doesn't shy away from its own sexiness, which I found refreshing.

There are no deep messages here except one: sometimes, a story should be exactly what you expect of it.

Loved it. I won't call it the great movie of our times or anything, but eminently rewatchable. The kind of movie you can have on in the background when doing housework and stuff. Good times.

I'll agree with this. It's a good sit back, relax, and enjoy type of movie. I was honestly expecting Jack Black to be kinda the worst part of it as I don't feel he's been funny for a while. But he killed it in this imo.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
The new Texas Chainsaw Massacre prequel, Leatherface, was released here yesterday, so I finally got to see it.

I think it's important not to expect the original when going in to any Texas Chainsaw sequel. The original is never going to be topped, so you just have to judge each new entry on its own merits. This new prequel certainly had flaws, but overall I had a good time with it. It's brutal, with plenty of good gore (to be expected from the directors of Inside) and the characters were interesting enough to keep me engaged.

I'd heard a lot of bad things about this before going in, but I was pleasantly surprised. If you enjoy b quality horror sequels (or prequels) then I'd definitely recommend giving this one a try.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I'll agree with this. It's a good sit back, relax, and enjoy type of movie. I was honestly expecting Jack Black to be kinda the worst part of it as I don't feel he's been funny for a while. But he killed it in this imo.

I was amazed at how economical the film was about establishing its characters and getting you to invest in them just enough to go on the ride.

It was really a roller coaster. Entertaining while you were on it and then immediately forgettable. You remember the fun more than the details.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Birth of the Dragon - Should have called it Birth of Lonesage. You got a white dude being trained by Bruce Lee & after being punked by him, decides to learn from another Master that came from China Wong Jack Man. He then tries to get that master to fight Bruce Lee Yojimbo style; despite Wong Jack just wanting to do dishes. After he was done using those two, he wanted some of that slanted vagina & decides to white knight but fails.

The guy who play Wong Jack Man was very likable & made Bruce Lee look like a foolish arrogant child. I like Phillip Ng but he channeled Jason Scott Lee quite a bit in this. He had a promising start in hong kong & hopefully this doesn't ruin his career. Overall despite me being butthurt of the portrayal of one of my heroes...It was still an ok watch. I know they heavily edited due to the backlash of the first trailer, still for a movie about Bruce Lee, there sure wasn't whole lot of him.

Okja - Fun film, it almost made me feel bad about eating meat.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Way of the Dragon

Love the humor and music