Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Interstellar- Amazing visuals and some good ideas totally wasted by schmaltzy, forced and overly long family drama, quest for love bullshit. The ending in particular was insultingly stupid and predictable.

Would have been a great straight sci-fi movie if around half of the run time been cut down and edited tightly.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Creep - Found footage horror/dark comedy (very light on the horror elements but most critics call it that and I don't know what else would fit) with a total of two characters: dude responds to a Craigslist ad for filming services that pays $1000 and requires "discretion." Guy that placed the ad (Mark Duplass, holy shit is he talented for a guy who basically started his career with The League) has terminal cancer and wants to film messages for his unborn son (yes, just like in My Life).

It's not scary, but it is unsettling, and the ending is pretty damn near perfect.

Recommended, for sure. See it on iTunes now or wait until the 14th to see it on Netflix.

I think the best way to describe why I liked it is that it feels like no other movie and it really works. Unique.

Last edited:

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Baader-Meinhof Komplex

About the RAF, not the Royal Air Force, good watch, recommended.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
This is also great. She has intense feelings about the whole planet

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
I just saw "Ex Machina" which was about azn-robot-waifus

the ultra modern compound architecture was koll

but the ending sucked

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Mr. Turner- Mike Leigh's take on the second half of 19th century land and seascape master painter William Turner's life. Slow but very well done and absolutely gorgeous.

Well as gorgeous as a movie full of profoundly ugly people can be.

BeefJerky

If You Can Read This You're Mentally Ill
20 Year Member
I don't think I've ever kept up with this thread, so maybe someone has shared it, but... You guys ever see "Mama's Foot"? I swear to Christ it's the fucking Plan 9 of hood movies. It showed up in "Recommended for You" on Amazon Prime's video service, I think it's how they try to subliminally tell people they should be reading a fucking book instead, it's that bad.

Here's the trailer...

Don't let the trailer fool you, the plot starts getting real incoherent REAL quick. :lolz:

PS: The theme song is off the chain. :keke:

PPS: At 21 seconds... Was that Kyle Gass in drag? :keke:

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The Gunman - Sean Penn tries to follow in Liam Neeson's footsteps and can't even measure up to Kevin Costner (3 Days to Kill was better than this). Pretty terrible generic "dudes wanna kill another dude, who set him up" action movie. Wasted both Idris Elba and Javier Bardem. Terrible romantic subplot actually took precedence over everything else much of the movie. Ridiculous subplot with post-concussion syndrome.

Bad. Didn't even reach the low expectations I went in with.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
Valhalla Rising

damn good visuals, norse slave warrior kills captors, roams scottish highlands, has bloody premonitions and joins zealous crusaders on a doomed expedition

its on kickass torrents

valhalla-rising-100.jpg

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Jupiter Ascending - a little out there, and sort of derivative of various other movies, but this was fun to watch. Channing Tatum and Mila Kunis were both pretty decent (though Tatum's character was basically a walking cliche). Eddie Redmayne was beyond nuts. Crazy to go from Oscar winner as Stephen Hawking to this role.

And if there's one thing the Wachowskis do really well, it's create a world. Great job at that, really helped the movie.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The Prestige - wow this was fucking retarded. Who didn't guess dude had a twin brother, much less the guy whose face they never fully show? And Tesla builds a goddamn duplicator and he uses it for a fucking magic show? Fuck this

The Cobbler - I like how it ends as some superhero movie, as if they're setting up a franchise. Dumb movie. Lol box office of 20k.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
A quick PSA...and this one just popped into my head.

Safety Not Guaranteed

If you haven't seen this one, you need to. It is terrific.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
It Follows- Highly recommended. Fairly low-key retro horror. A couple parts didn't make a lot of sense but overall it's well done enough that it didn't really matter. Amazing soundtrack.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
A quick PSA...and this one just popped into my head.

Safety Not Guaranteed

If you haven't seen this one, you need to. It is terrific.
More Duplass brothers! And Aubrey Plaza. Sounds good, will have to watch it.

Watched: It Follows - really stylish, that was the most overt feeling I got from this. Something like Drive mixed with a little old-school Halloween. That part was a little overwhelming, actually, I'd say it hurt more than helped.

The rest... huh. I have very mixed thoughts on it. It was genuinely creepy and did impending dread/doom really well, but several characters were completely pointless, the others weren't written well, and there were other odd points that hurt the movie by pulling you out (where were the parents the whole time, couple of utterly pointless (or at the very least zero-context) scenes, and a mediocre "ending."

Overall, I'd say worth a look, strictly for the actual scare-factor, but it's not a well-made movie and didn't deserve the insane amount of praise it got.

Stacey Adam

New Challenger
Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanly's Island of Dr. Moreau

Documentary on the 1996 film adaptation where everything spun out of control. The Original director was fired, Marlon Brando was Nutzoid, Val Kilmer was just a dick, and the original director ended up sneaking back on set as an extra in a creature costume to witness how the were destroying his vision.

Highly Recommended.....Now on Netflix.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Something like Drive mixed with a little old-school Halloween.

That's pretty accurate.

I'm a sucker for atmosphere though. I also though most of the interaction between the characters in smaller scenes was more realistic than typical teen horror fare.

Sid and Nancy- Probably the 10th time I've seen it. Not going to hold it up as a great movie but will say Gary Oldman's performance is still impressive.

Boyhood- Eh, I recognize the scope and all and commend it. Only performance I thought was really impressive was Ethan Hawkes.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Ex-Machina (finally) - another movie that skewed a bit too much in favor of style over substance, IMO. Isaac, in particular, was great, and Alicia Vikander was good, too. Didn't really live up to the hype, hate to say. There were a few things that could have been fleshed out more, i.e. Ava and Kyoko's affect toward the end. Interesting, good atmosphere, but a little slight.

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
Creep - Found footage horror/dark comedy (very light on the horror elements but most critics call it that and I don't know what else would fit) with a total of two characters: dude responds to a Craigslist ad for filming services that pays $1000 and requires "discretion." Guy that placed the ad (Mark Duplass, holy shit is he talented for a guy who basically started his career with The League) has terminal cancer and wants to film messages for his unborn son (yes, just like in My Life).

It's not scary, but it is unsettling, and the ending is pretty damn near perfect.

Recommended, for sure. See it on iTunes now or wait until the 14th to see it on Netflix.

I think the best way to describe why I liked it is that it feels like no other movie and it really works. Unique.
Just saw this last night, fantastic movie and you are right.... Can't believe he came from the league to this.
"It follows" was good, just saw this. The soundtrack is done by the guy who did the music for "Fez"
. Saw "ant man" also. Was pretty good and I wish we could of gotten a version of Edgar's as well.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
I saw Pixels this weekend...it sucked. I also found it a bit cheesy. I feel like the premise could have been executed better.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Watched "Montage of Heck" and "The Drop" over the weekend. MoH was well-made, but I was never much of a Nirvana fan to begin with, so a lot of the sentiment over Kurt Cobain was lost on me.

"The Drop" was a good watch. Tom Hardy plays the clueless bartender pretty convincingly.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I saw Pixels this weekend...it sucked. I also found it a bit cheesy. I feel like the premise could have been executed better.

There's some times where the entire concept of a film offends me and it can be for various reasons. pixels is offensive on many levels. First off, its a shit cash-grab, second...it's shitting on things that I love.

I'd rather watch my basement wall for 2 hours than watch that shit...

Watched "Montage of Heck" and "The Drop" over the weekend. MoH was well-made, but I was never much of a Nirvana fan to begin with, so a lot of the sentiment over Kurt Cobain was lost on me.

Same here...I respect nirvana, I respect what they accomplished. As far as being a "fan"? Not so much. I tried...but it just never stuck.

MuppeT

War Room Troll
Thinking about getting this movie.. have no idea what it is about ..but the cover looks promising :lolz:

$_57.jpg