Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Mad Max Fury road is completely worth and a must see in theatres. I heard the 3d was great, but I think anyone would be happy with the 2d version. I can't think of a better retro series bringback movie ever.

This. Planning on seeing it again in the theater sometime soon.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Saw Fury Road this evening. A wonderful throwback and a love letter to the old movies. Would've been interesting to see old Mel do it one more time but Tom Hardy was perfectly fine. I'm sick to death of superhero movies and plastic, soulless action movies and this really was a breath of fresh air. Brutal, dirty and chockful of old school stunt work.

And yes, the guitar guy was amazing. My wife turned to me when the war party first rolled out and said that the villain was so badass, he brought his own theme music with him.

Last edited:

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I watched Fury Road last night and... wow, what a great film. I really can't wait to see it again, I think I'll have to go see it in the cinema again before it's done, it's definitely the kind of film that needs to be seen on the big screen.

My only criticism, and it didn't ruin the film at all, would be that Tom Hardy didn't feel right as Max. I'm not some die hard Gibson fan, I didn't really care that they'd replaced him, but Tom Hardy just seemed a bit odd in the part. His voice and whatever accent he was trying to do just felt weird. Like I said though, it really didn't stop me enjoying the film at all.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Finally saw American Sniper. My initial reaction was somewhere along the lines of "that's what everyone and their mom watched in theaters and inspired far, far too many thinkpieces?!"

It was okay. Bradley Cooper was excellent, but the movie itself was utterly predictable and it mostly deified Chris Kyle to the point of absurdity (I know it's based on his book).

Okay as a war movie, boring as shit (and dangerously close to melodrama) when the focus was on his family life.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Finally saw American Sniper. My initial reaction was somewhere along the lines of "that's what everyone and their mom watched in theaters and inspired far, far too many thinkpieces?!"

It was okay. Bradley Cooper was excellent, but the movie itself was utterly predictable and it mostly deified Chris Kyle to the point of absurdity (I know it's based on his book).

Okay as a war movie, boring as shit (and dangerously close to melodrama) when the focus was on his family life.

Chances are...I'll never watch it.

This is really going to come across as the dickhead statement of the month...but of those that I personally know that claim that film is the second coming...few of them are really bright enough to enjoy a good film in the first place.

A film titled "American Sniper" never really struck me as the type to be a deep thought, emotional film of the year...

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
JUST watched FRAILTY... starring Matthew McConaughey...

...It was a LOT better than i expected... I'd recommend it to you...

xROTx

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I watched Fury Road last night and... wow, what a great film. I really can't wait to see it again, I think I'll have to go see it in the cinema again before it's done, it's definitely the kind of film that needs to be seen on the big screen.

My only criticism, and it didn't ruin the film at all, would be that Tom Hardy didn't feel right as Max. I'm not some die hard Gibson fan, I didn't really care that they'd replaced him, but Tom Hardy just seemed a bit odd in the part. His voice and whatever accent he was trying to do just felt weird. Like I said though, it really didn't stop me enjoying the film at all.

I think the idea behind Hardy's voice was that Max has been on the edge of insanity and has almost completely lost it.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I just look at Tom Hardy's portrayal as its own thing. It's a 'version' of Max, which relates to this:

I heard an interesting theory that the Mad Max movies are all legends that have been handed down by people in the post apocalyptic world and that what we're seeing on screen are the versions of Max's adventures that have become myths. Like, the real events are more tame but they've been told and retold so many times, by so many people, that they've grown into these larger than life mythmaking stories.

I'm not saying I'm adopting that viewpoint, but it's interesting

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I'm seeing Mad Max this weekend, but I just recently saw "Lawless", which also had Hardy in it. That movie was actually pretty good. Gary Oldman didnt have as big of a part as I was expecting, unfortunately, but it didnt take away from the film.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
but of those that I personally know that claim that film is the second coming...few of them are really bright enough to enjoy a good film in the first place.

Probably because they missed the point of the film and took it straightforward

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Chances are...I'll never watch it.

This is really going to come across as the dickhead statement of the month...but of those that I personally know that claim that film is the second coming...few of them are really bright enough to enjoy a good film in the first place.

A film titled "American Sniper" never really struck me as the type to be a deep thought, emotional film of the year...

Agreed man, & same - I don't think it's the dickhead statement of the month either, more like what seems painfully obvious...

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I think the idea behind Hardy's voice was that Max has been on the edge of insanity and has almost completely lost it.

I just look at Tom Hardy's portrayal as its own thing. It's a 'version' of Max, which relates to this:

Yeah, I can see both these points, and like I say it really didn't ruin my enjoyment of the film. Maybe once I watch it a couple more times I will get used to his portrayal of the character. The 'edge of sanity' idea certainly fits, assuming it's a sequel we know he has been through a lot, and the flashback type scenes show that he is haunted by his past.

outlaw_moon

Marked Wolf
If all goes according to plan, I will finally be able to catch Avengers this weekend. I have no expectations going in and I have kept away from spoilers and reviews as much as possible. It sounds like it will be a fun couple of hours while chowing down some buttery popcorn.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
If all goes according to plan, I will finally be able to catch Avengers this weekend. I have no expectations going in and I have kept away from spoilers and reviews as much as possible. It sounds like it will be a fun couple of hours while chowing down some buttery popcorn.

SPOILER the avengers win

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I heard the dumbest fucking idea about Fury Road yet when I was in my LCS this past Wednesday.

Some dude was saying that this Max is different because he's the Feral Kid from The Road Warrior.

I asked the manager, who I am really good friends with, to throw him out and never sell comics to him again.

dullbuoy

Leon Ther,
Some dude was saying that this Max is different because he's the Feral Kid from The Road Warrior.

There are some things in the movie that "references" that, but it may just be fan-service easter egg stuff not literally referencing stuff from the previous movies, ex. the sawed off shotgun that failed to shoot in the previous movies, does not mean it's the same gun etc.....the little music box piece is in this movie but it's never actually shown to be his possession (Zoe Kravitz just suddenly had it in one scene)

I rewatched the movie this afternoon just to see how some of the rumors/interpretations hold up (like the whole 4 Horsemen stuff etc) the stuff that makes it seem like it would be a different max/feral kid that i've noticed are:

He won't tell Furiosa his name (he does say in the voice over to begin the film that he is Max a former policeman..)
I thought when he was getting "tattoed" that it mentioned Feral when i first watched it but the tattoo listed Psychotic and High Octane.... some people may just interpret that as both mad and/or wild...feral.
Nux actually does refer to him as having feral blood...making Max a perfect blood bag for the chase.

Also weird is that Max did not have a female daughter in the previous films. He went mad because Toecutter's gang killed his wife and infant son. Hopefully some of the flashbacks Max was having will be explored more in future films.

Those flashbacks are actually the part of the film that i least liked.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Saw Fury Road.

Ridiculously good, as has been noted.

I knew going in that it's been considered very feminist, but I still was a bit surprised when Furiosa was as important (or very close to) as Max. Charlize Theron was awesome, so it works.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I saw Fury Road again this weekend (sans 3D this time as it really is an unnecessary distraction.)

I am usually the first to point out Liberal Hollywood fare, however, I don't see it in Mad Max outside of the fact that there are a bunch of female characters and this unto itself is not very feminist to me.

Love the film, have seen it twice now and could go again.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I heard the dumbest fucking idea about Fury Road yet when I was in my LCS this past Wednesday.

I asked the manager, who I am really good friends with, to throw him out and never sell comics to him again.

I'm with you, I don't agree with that at all. There are plenty of little references to the old films, but they're mostly there for the fans. The little music box Max gave the feral kid is in the film, but it's never shown to be Max's possession.