MOUNTED (totally not sexually) a HNG 64 R2!

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
I currently have in transit a revision 2 Hyper Neo Geo 64, which I plan to drop right into my current cab. What I'd like to do though, it set it up so that all I have to do at any given point is move the JAMMA cable over and power on. I'd like to get what I need for mounting it NOW, so I can get everything set up when the board arrives.

So, what do I need to mount this into my cab? I'm thinking of mounting it on the underside of where my 2 slot is currently mounted, so that it's basically upside down, but idk how well everything holds & how wise this actually is. If not that, then I was thinking some metal holding brackets to hold the MOBO into place on the side of the cab. Would any of you guys have a suggestion? Thanks!

Last edited:

dogworth

Kuroko's Training Dummy
you just need 4 screws. there are holes in the sheet metal for mounting.

Phyeir

you just need 4 screws. there are holes in the sheet metal for mounting.

Now, can this be safely mounted upside down? Do you think the clips for the games are strong enough? I'd hate to mount it on the underside of where the twoslot is and have the game come slamming down into the power supply of my cab. Don't want to make the wrong move here. (If you french fry when you're suppose to pizza, you're gonna have a bad time!)

dogworth

Kuroko's Training Dummy
the clips are pretty stout, the game should be secure enough. changing games with it upside down would be a pain in the ass though.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
There are latches that fold down over the tabs on the sides of the carts that keep it in place. Having said that, I've found that the games are a bit touchy (at least on mine) in how they are seated. While it would probably work, I wouldn't recommend mounting it upside down. What I did in my big red was turn the 4 slot MVS board 90 degrees so the harness plugs in on the right side by the rear access panel and then mount the Hyper underneath it on the side.

Phyeir

Hmm... alright, that's what I was afraid of on upside down, that it just may not connect well, and given the weight of everything, not quite comfortable. I'll have to try a side mount in my 2 slot, see what I can come up with. I'll keep you guys posted w/ pics once I get it in.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
For the Hyper carts you kinda need to use your bodyweight to push the cart down to lock. So upside down would be tough.

Phyeir

Huh, that's quite a it of force then... I'll have everything tomorrow, so we'll see what happens as far as mounting it... worse case scenario, I just keep it on the cab floor with some PCB feet.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You dont even need feet. The metal casing is pretty strong.

Phyeir

Not really worried about the case, just want to keep it off the bottom of the cab. I know, really doesn't affect anything if the MOBO scraps the bottom up when putting in games & takinng them out & such, but like to keep things nice.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Huh, that's quite a it of force then... I'll have everything tomorrow, so we'll see what happens as far as mounting it... worse case scenario, I just keep it on the cab floor with some PCB feet.

You dont even need feet. The metal casing is pretty strong.

Yeah you don't need feet. Everything is inside the metal casing. The bottom has a good 1and3/4" (+) gap between the bottom of the metal and the pcb up inside so you wouldn't really touch anything having it flush to the wood.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
I think the best thing is to just get it, play around with inserting carts and such, and then trying a few temporary layouts.

Those carts aren't hard to put in and take out, but they do require some muscling around and a bit of space to get your hands in there to flip the clips, etc....

It's oddly empowering when you pop one of those metal carts into the hyper... it's a beast of a setup, in a totally awesome way. But yeah, fitting in your MVS cab with your MVS still in there will probably just require some trial and error to get it in a position which you would not feel like it's a huge pain in the ass to swap carts, and so forth. If you had ready access to the back of the cab it would be cake, but if you just really have CP access to the innards, then just test aroudn and see what works for you. I'm thinking (at least based on my 4 slot) that a side mount might be it... but I haven't actually thrown a hyper in there to see first hand.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
MY advice, which is actually what I did with my hyper set up is this; I mounted 2 brackets just above the MVS mobo (with no catrs in it) where I can place a MDF board that acts as a shelf, this shelf can hold any given PCB or the Hyper.

Changing the games in the hyper is kind of a bicth and I rather do it outside nice and easy and then place the mobo on top of the shelf above the MVS, disconnect the MVS Jamma+ harness and then connected to the hyper board.

It's easy, it looks decent, and I can utilize it for any other PCB setup as well.

Phyeir

Now that I actually have my hands on the actual MOBO and can take measurements, it looks like the two MOBOs can fit next to each other if I just turn the 2 slot onto it's side and extend the actual shelf out, they should fit next to each other with plenty of clearence to access the JAMMA on the side of the 2 slot. Just need to go to Home Depot and get the board then measure, cut & screw it down onto the current shelf.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Now that I actually have my hands on the actual MOBO and can take measurements, it looks like the two MOBOs can fit next to each other if I just turn the 2 slot onto it's side and extend the actual shelf out, they should fit next to each other with plenty of clearence to access the JAMMA on the side of the 2 slot. Just need to go to Home Depot and get the board then measure, cut & screw it down onto the current shelf.

Up some pictures then if you get a chance. :)

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
When I had the Hyper I was going to build a wood shelf (with wood legs)in the cab that sits the hyper under the MVS board of wood...Wheras I could slide the whole shelf out the cab to change carts on the hyper from the back of the cab..

I never got around to do it..I used to just lay it in on the 4 slot mobo(on priority mail flatened box) with no carts in the MVS.
Thast was a pain..

I would up just screwing the Hyper to the inside side of my old tekken 3 cab..

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
I never got around to do it..I used to just lay it in on the 4 slot mobo(on priority mail flatened box) with no carts in the MVS.
Thast was a pain..

This is how I play PCBs in my MVS..... not optimal but it works well enough to not fuss.

I have mine in the corner so getting access to the back is not really an option.

Phyeir

Boom, bitches! Got the 2 slot AND the Hyper onto the shelf, let me take you through my handy work...

Here's what it looks like fromm the back. If you notice, the 2 slot does hang a little, so I moved one foot up a little just to help steady the board when I move the JAMMA harness on & off. Also, what I did to get the Hyper sitting on the shelf is turned the "top" foot attachment backwards so that it holds the underside of the board off the shelf. The Hyper isn't screwed down, which you'll see why...
cimg7946.jpg

This is what it looks like from the front. Great thing about this set up, I have FULL access to the JAMMA harness, and to putting in games on either board all from the CP. My Rev 2 board let's games off easy as butter, so it's just a quick pop off. As you can see, the two boards are pretty tight, so I left the Hyper unscrewed down so that I can shift it left to have plenty of access to the JAMMA piece of the 2 slot and then can shift the Hyper to the right so that I can release the left clip to lift the game.
cimg7950.jpg

cimg7951.jpg

cimg7952c.jpg

cimg7953.jpg

Here's both of them running. It's an easy move to go from one to the other now, takes only a minute and my Goldie goes from a Neo Geo MVS to a Hyper Neo Geo 64. AWESOME!
cimg7954.jpg

cimg7955.jpg

Thanks for all the advice guys, the set-up is rockin!

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Bad ass dude! Fits much nicer than I had envisioned in my mind ("totally not sexually").

ON THE GREEEEEN!

Grizz9567

Crossed Swords Squire
That is how mine is setup...like i said earlier bitches! Boom:buttrock:

Boom, bitches! Got the 2 slot AND the Hyper onto the shelf, let me take you through my handy work...

Here's what it looks like fromm the back. If you notice, the 2 slot does hang a little, so I moved one foot up a little just to help steady the board when I move the JAMMA harness on & off. Also, what I did to get the Hyper sitting on the shelf is turned the "top" foot attachment backwards so that it holds the underside of the board off the shelf. The Hyper isn't screwed down, which you'll see why...
cimg7946.jpg

This is what it looks like from the front. Great thing about this set up, I have FULL access to the JAMMA harness, and to putting in games on either board all from the CP. My Rev 2 board let's games off easy as butter, so it's just a quick pop off. As you can see, the two boards are pretty tight, so I left the Hyper unscrewed down so that I can shift it left to have plenty of access to the JAMMA piece of the 2 slot and then can shift the Hyper to the right so that I can release the left clip to lift the game.
cimg7950.jpg

cimg7951.jpg

cimg7952c.jpg

cimg7953.jpg

Here's both of them running. It's an easy move to go from one to the other now, takes only a minute and my Goldie goes from a Neo Geo MVS to a Hyper Neo Geo 64. AWESOME!
cimg7954.jpg

cimg7955.jpg

Thanks for all the advice guys, the set-up is rockin!