Mortal Kombat 1 (PS5, Xbox Series X|S, Switch & PC)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
$70 is the new standard.
Yeah, not sure if that's really deserved, given the fact that many new games are half-assed releases with tons of bugs that only become playable later on when all major bugs have been fixed.

Oh well.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Some games are even more expensive (and sure as fuck ain't worth it)
Screenshot 2023-06-15 203940.png

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yeah, not sure if that's really deserved, given the fact that many new games are half-assed releases with tons of bugs that only become playable later on when all major bugs have been fixed.

Oh well.
It's definitely not deserved, $70 for a digital download is laughable. Not only are most games riddled with bugs but considering the amount of DLC the average game gets you're basically always buying an incomplete game. MK1 is going to have a lot of DLC and probably a ton of micro transactions as well.

Big game companies are greedy as fuck and never seem to learn from their mistakes. You can't nickel and dime people when the base price is already so high. It's no wonder so many games don't meet their projected sales figures. They have to start making the initial cost lower for a start. On top of that people know games are released full of bugs and incomplete so they wait till they're fixed or discounted or buy used. Yet the companies keep releasing games less and less finished to meet deadlines for their shareholders. It's not a sustainable system.

I don't think I've ever paid more than $30 for a digital game, I can't justify spending much more than that on one unless it's a fully functioning game that includes a ton of collected DLC. Even then I'm still not willing to pay full retail.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Yeah I'd have no problem with $70 as the base price (after all, development costs and inflation has gone up significantly since the mid-2000s when $60 became the norm) if they weren't already ratfucking every AAA release with Season Passes, Battle Passes, microtransactions and paid seasonal events. As is, it just means I buy next to nothing at launch and largely wait to buy "complete" versions of games at discounted rates. I've got enough bullshit to play to last a lifetime anyway. No reason to rush out and spend a bunch of money on shit I'm not going to play immediately anyway.

Inshakoor

New Challenger
It's definitely not deserved, $70 for a digital download is laughable. Not only are most games riddled with bugs but considering the amount of DLC the average game gets you're basically always buying an incomplete game. MK1 is going to have a lot of DLC and probably a ton of micro transactions as well.

Big game companies are greedy as fuck and never seem to learn from their mistakes. You can't nickel and dime people when the base price is already so high. It's no wonder so many games don't meet their projected sales figures. They have to start making the initial cost lower for a start. On top of that people know games are released full of bugs and incomplete so they wait till they're fixed or discounted or buy used. Yet the companies keep releasing games less and less finished to meet deadlines for their shareholders. It's not a sustainable system.

I don't think I've ever paid more than $30 for a digital game, I can't justify spending much more than that on one unless it's a fully functioning game that includes a ton of collected DLC. Even then I'm still not willing to pay full retail.
Exactly this. I just can't see spending that much on a placeholder disc that just points you to DLC. As other shave said, I'll bide my time and wait for discounts or a Limited Run release with all the content on the disc. Might be waiting a while lol.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
I don't understand why anyone would pay full price for a MK game at launch. They aren't that great of fighters and if you just wait a bit, you can get the finished game with all or most DLC characters for cheap when it goes on sale. Then you play it for a few hours, realize it's trash and play a real fighting game.

Theruff

Cheng's Errand Boy
Yeah I'd have no problem with $70 as the base price (after all, development costs and inflation has gone up significantly since the mid-2000s when $60 became the norm) if they weren't already ratfucking every AAA release with Season Passes, Battle Passes, microtransactions and paid seasonal events.
$70 as a base should be for new games. Releasing MK1, Mario RPG, and all these other old games for full price is atrocious. Half of the work is already done, you have the hype, you have the entire game idea.

Give me one reason to spend full price on the port/remake when I can better spend my money on a truly new experience

100proof

10 Year Member
MK1 isn't an old game. It's not even a remake. It's an entirely new game with a stupid name.

100proof

10 Year Member
That may be so but it's not a remake or a re-release so your original point holds no water. It took them 4 years and tens of millions of dollars to create that same old shit. If you don't think it's worth $70, that's entirely up to you but $70 is the market rate for a new AAA video game.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Looks awesome. And the fact that it actually does continue the story with Lord Liu Kang's vision of the realms is awesome.

Theruff

Cheng's Errand Boy
That may be so but it's not a remake or a re-release so your original point holds no water. It took them 4 years and tens of millions of dollars to create that same old shit. If you don't think it's worth $70, that's entirely up to you but $70 is the market rate for a new AAA video game.
A mistake on my end for calling it a port/remake (can you blame me with their fucked numbering system?), but $70 for a recycled game is beyond retarded.

Even if it’s not a port/remake, the entire concept and gameplay has already been made in MK11. FIFA might not be a port or remake, but it’s still the same lame-ass AAA game every year, just “better graphics.” Sound familiar?

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Graphics Comparaison. It's insane on PS5 o_O

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
So Mortal Kombat 1 is almost out, but the entire game and cutscenes are released. I just watched the first hour of the game, like watching a movie - which is what they've been doing since 9, thinking about it.

Liu Kang is not only a god, but THE God - he literally spent eons creating the universe the way he wanted. Great set up.

Props to Netherrealm for knocking it out of the park again.

edit: watching more, lmbo this is a movie with some fighting parts added. No complaints here because I'm entertained.

Last edited:

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Bought the $109 version on PC. I hate money. So far my impressions:

- Single player story is fun, a bit long. (I haven't played since PS2 versions)
- Online seems to work.
- Air combos about as sophisticated as Super Turbo.
- All female cup sizes are very small. I guess I'll wait for MKII for an improvement there. Just confusing to look at after so much Guilty Gear Strive.
- Lots of blood. My 10 year old looked at me and said... "Are you OK?" ... thinking that the game looked terrible and only a child would like it.

Final Pro Gamer Reviewer Score: 10/10 will buy more DLC.

100proof

10 Year Member
I'm sure it plays totally fine for people who like modern MK but man these games just have no personality anymore. The characters all look like cosplayers and even high-level matches are boring as shit to watch. They even removed the pre-match witty banter (or moved it to the loading screen where it's shorter and way less interesting) which is about the only thing I liked from the last couple of games.

Even the fatalities are largely repetitive and joyless.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I'm sure it plays totally fine for people who like modern MK but man these games just have no personality anymore.

Totally agree. Everything looks completely adequate and visually it's technically impressive but yeah, everything seems so blah. What's really surprising to me is how many people are so invested in the story. Seeing grown men act like 10 year olds again arguing and speculating over fucking MK. It's weird and kind of sad. I tried watching some of the single player story play through and after about 5 minutes of realm hopping, betrayals and ninja magic nonsense I just shook my head.

100proof

10 Year Member
Hope you're sitting down... it becomes a multiverse thing by the end. Because it's 2023 and multiverses are now required by law. Plus it's the easiest way to maximize fan service without having to write a story with any logical consistency. Ehh whatever. I'm actually glad Ed Boon's still out there banging his action figures together. Even if it's not my thing, MK makes the glue-eaters happy and it'll sell a bazillion copies. Vaya con dios.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Like with Rick and Morty, I'm completely divorced from the fan community which helps me enjoy it. I only ever watched the cutscenes while drinking which makes it a hoot. It's stupid, absurd fun featuring characters I remember from my childhood. Fun way to spend a Saturday night.

Yeah, I also noticed the cleavage was toned down.

And also surprisingly non-violent until the guy took katanas to the eyes, lmbo.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Looks like the PS5 & XBX run at 60 fps with high detailed graphics. The XBS is surprisingly close to the big boys. And the Switch is crippled, hot garbage.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
is anyone still getting surprised by switch being dead last in terms of fidelity/performance?

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Well, obviously major graphical cuts are to be expected for it, but you'd think they could at least get half the fps after that. Maintaining a stable 30 fps seems like it should be the bare minimum if you're going to charge full price as a AAA game. Hopefully a future patch will get it sorted out for Switch owners.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
is anyone still getting surprised by switch being dead last in terms of fidelity/performance?
No, but it looks like zero effort was applied, they didn’t even implement facial expressions which is probably the main reason people are bitching about it - makes them all look like mannequins. Hopefully the promised patch will fix this.