More Berserk goodness

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Thanks for the post Taiso I like that it looks like they have both pre and post apocalypse Guts to play.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
New gameplay looks great. Really hope Judeau is playable.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Looks pretty good. I've never been able to get into these Dynasty Warriors type games, but with the Berserk license attached I'm sure this one will change that.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Some more footage from TGS.

TGS Trailer

7 minute game play demo

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Only 8 playable characters....and casca has a costume alt of a bathing gown while she was on her period or something?

Yeah, idgaf about this one anymore.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Only 8 playable characters....and casca has a costume alt of a bathing gown while she was on her period or something?

Yeah, idgaf about this one anymore.

The outfit you're referencing is after the Eclipse when Guts goes into the mine to see her for the first time and she's standing under the running water. It's a long shirt or something like that. When he approaches her, she freaks out and runs to Erica.

8 characters is fine by me. I don't really know how many of the characters I would want to play as other than Guts (all three versions), Zodd and Skull Knight, anyway.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
All I know is that idgaf for serpico, Griffith, casca, shierke or basically anyone in guts's party besides guts, and let say I'm not too wild about wyald either. And isn't this coming out like 6 months after the jp release? Just another reason to not care anymore.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
The outfit you're referencing is after the Eclipse when Guts goes into the mine to see her for the first time and she's standing under the running water. It's a long shirt or something like that. When he approaches her, she freaks out and runs to Erica.

8 characters is fine by me. I don't really know how many of the characters I would want to play as other than Guts (all three versions), Zodd and Skull Knight, anyway.

Is there 2 games coming out? Golden age and the rest of the story???

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
No just one game.

I see that Grunbeld is a character so I'm guessing that the final chapter in story mode will be the same as the PS2 game-the fight at Flora's house.

All I know is that idgaf for serpico, Griffith, casca, shierke or basically anyone in guts's party besides guts, and let say I'm not too wild about wyald either. And isn't this coming out like 6 months after the jp release? Just another reason to not care anymore.

The US release will be out in February. Japanese release is later this month.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

Would you be buying this piece of shit either way?

I love Berserk. Love the comics. Love the anime. Can't care less for the feeble attempt of some cash grabbing programmers though. Fuck them. Let them starve and die.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Would you be buying this piece of shit either way?

I love Berserk. Love the comics. Love the anime. Can't care less for the feeble attempt of some cash grabbing programmers though. Fuck them. Let them starve and die.

I'll admit Im a stupid glutton for shit + a huge shill for ninja characters. With Silat I would have begrudgingly bought it just to feel even a tepid sense of satisfaction.

But with the way the game is now, I'm not sure I'd even care to YouTube a play through.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
So anyone know if theres a difference between The Japanese and Asian versions of the game?

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Okay, so I've played Berserk Musouup through the first fight with Nosferatu Zoddo and I have some thoughts.

This is a much more traditional Musou game than I was hoping for. It takes no chances with the formula.

Mind you, I don't dislike the formula, but with a property as rich as Berserk, I feel like there is a lost of wasted potential here.

The combat is as standard as it gets for the Musou series. Guts plays like that slow big sword guy you never choose in these games unless required to by the story. I think they tried too hard to replicate the sword physics for this game. That sort of thing works in a game with a more technical and skill based combat engine, like the Souls series, but in a game that's about racking up kills and feeling like a god on the battlefield, it just doesn't translate very well to any sense of engagement. He's a slow, plodding behemoth of a character and he's just not much fun to play. Especially when the sword physics combos are such that once you start swinging, you can't quickly realign on your target area. So even if you're locked on to an enemy officer, Guts' combo trajectory takes him wildly away from them. The camera needs constant reorientation with Guts, and I feel that's a problem.

The animations and environments are all fantastic, and if you're not looking too closely it skates by at a smooth framerate. The game is good and gory, with plenty of blood to go around. But where the graphics start to get more noticeably troublesome is in the faces and in the hair. This is borderline PS2 'upscaled for HD' levesl of unpolished. Hair is not natural on the more lavishly coiffed characters, and rather than spilling down on longer haired characters like Griffith, it tends to bunch up and look like you could chisel chunks off. Also, the characters' mouths move out of sync with the dialogue and I feel this is lazy and unrefined. These minor graphic problems could be considered nitpicks, but they're noticeable and indicative of a lazy production.

The voice actor for Guts is the same guy from the 2012 trilogy and the 2016 tv series, as is everyone else. This being the case, they all did a great job of capturing the character except for Guts himself. This is not to say that his voice acting is awful, but more that he uses his 'Black Swordsman' voice for everything. That persona is a character that's been through a harrowing physical and emotional experience, and the way he talks and the things he says are reflective of that. Before that, however, he was your typical seinen hero: angry, impulsive and quick to raise his voice when frustrated. But here, he jut plays it all with tense stoicism. It's offputting. Guts is an evolving character and the reason we still love him after all these years is because we appreciate his journey and the suffering he's endured. So to see them neglect this aspect of the character -his stages of growth- is irksome.

Lastly, they use cutscenes from the 2012 anime trilogy to bridge the gap between most of the battles, and i find this jarring at times. Especially considering they re-recorded all the dialogue and, once again, frequent lip-syncing issues arise. And even worse, they have completely replaced Shiro Sagisu's brilliant and underrated soundtrack with a generic sounding fantasy OST that, while competent, is noticeably bland. So far I haven't heard a single recognizable tune and one of Berserk's most striking aspects in terms of the animated medium is its music bed. I can only hope that Susumu Hirasawa contributed a track to this, but somehow I doubt it. It's the same problem the Gundam Musou and Hokuto Musou games had in terms of the soundtrack, and it feels cheap on Koei Tecmo's part. They did the same thing with Attack on Titan, by the by. When I played Dragon Quest Heroes, they used arrangements of the series' signature OST and believe me, it only HELPED create that sense of immersion in the end. KT gets a big F here, although I will say that the sound effects of the fighting, the hacking and slashing and so forth, are perfectly fine.

Overall, I'd say that unless you're a diehard fan of Berserk who wants to see someone else's take on this legendary tale, rent, borrow or pass. If you want to purchase but are on the fence for any reason, wait for a budget release or when you have excess cash burning a hole in your pocket. More could have been done with this.

Follow up coming once I clear more of the game, but only if my opinion changes or is altered in any way.

I will stream this at some point so you can see it for yourself.

Last edited:

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
O man what a wasted opportunity. I am a diehard berserk fan and will get this still. But only on the vita...

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I would say that this game is a Day One only for hardcore Berserk fans (like myself) who will take it any way they can get it and for people who play video games as part of their day's professional obligations. Luckily, for me this is both.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Another thing I find offputting about the game engine cutscenes-the characters all do that 'body breathing' thing where their shoulders and arms rise and fall while they're standing still. This is unnatural and weird looking. Everyone has a respiratory problem in this game and labors to draw breath.

I liked how KOF XIV did it. During the dialogue conversations, characters stood still until they had to do some dramatic gesture or something. This game could have done that. Or something.

It just looks strange to me.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
So basically Wasabi was right that this is a steaming hot pile of shit, and the world would be better if you guys kill the developers and wear their skulls as hats while driving across Japan.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
So basically Wasabi was right that this is a steaming hot pile of shit, and the world would be better if you guys kill the developers and wear their skulls as hats while driving across Japan.

Yes. Yes you are right.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
The game's most egregious sins are couched in developer laziness and an almost criminal waste of the source material.

Attack on Titan is such a wonderful game from Koei Tecmo and Omega Force. It's not perfect, but it innovated on the Musou formula and created a new type of video game that is unlike anything else I've ever played. I really thought Omega Force had evolved. Berserk Musou feels like a game from ten years ago.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
A bit of an update.

I just got through the Eclipse and now have access to Black Swordsman Guts in Story and Free mode.

All versions of a given character level share. So Hawk Soldier Guts and Black Swordsman Guts are the same dude, which is nice.

Also, when there are tons of enemies to kill and your level is high enough that you have a greater variety of combos, the game is actually pretty fun. But when you ahve to do a lot of running or stop to kill a few groups of idiots, it can be a bit of a drag.

So in spots, this is decent.