Monitor waves

EddyIori

New Challenger
Hi guys, my rgb monitor started to produce waves from the bottom to the upper part of the screen. What could be done to solve this? :conf:

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
That is mains frequency ripple caused by the mains rectifier smothing capacitor (typicaly 220 uF 400 v - for 240 mains) going low in capacitance or open circuit.

You could replace just that electro cap which should fix the problem, it is the largest one in the monitors power supply.
Or why not do a full cap kit, your monitor will love you for it.

EddyIori

New Challenger
Thanks!!

Thanks a lot ttooddddyy I will buy the kit tomorrow and make this baby happy. :buttrock: :multi_co:

EddyIori

New Challenger
no result...

I have replaced all electro caps and it not fixed the problem. Sould I also replace all ceramical also?? Or waht more can be?? :conf:

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
No need to replace the non elecro caps

Did the kit include the large mains rectifier smoothing capacitor ?

Last edited:

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Almost all of the kits don't.

You'll want to read the side of the capacitor for the rating - capacitance, voltage, AND temperature (85*c or 105*c) to make sure you get a suitable replacement.

Hell... you should always use the 105*c caps in a monitor anyway. If it has the lower temp ones, replace them.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
channelmaniac said:
Almost all of the kits don't.

That is sad and they damn well should include that cap :crying: , in many cases such as this, that electro is definately the cause.
Have carried out several cap "kits" but selected the caps individualy, including the smoother.

Anyway EddieIior do not be disheartened you monitor will benifit from the cap kit, what is the model of the monitor ? Replacing the smoother cap will fix this :) for sure.

For 240v it would usually be say 220 uF rated at 400V, half the voltage for 110v.

EddyIori

New Challenger
Hi guys solved the damn thing, it turned out that a 2n3055 transistor was bad though it gave no clues by just measuring it on the circuit. Now everything is perfect. Thanks for all replies!!!:multi_co: :buttrock:

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Great news.

That must be a pretty old model to use a 2N3055 shunt regulator - what model is it as a matter of interest ?