monitor transfomer blown?

m_bish0p

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I have a tetris machine that was wired to use a switching power supply for everything except the monitor. It has a transformer that supplies power to that separately.

So, I had my arcade on, and I heard a loud 'pop', and the machine died. I can smell dead transformer as clear as day.

Do you think the monitor is shot now? Is it probably just a matter of replacing the transformer and some fuses?

If I do have to replace the transformer, does anyone know what voltage/amp rating I'll need? I've never seen anyone lay out exactly how to wire a monitor, and I think that's what I'll end up doing, unless the monitor is shot now.

if someone could give me a clear schematic, with part descriptions, for checking and wiring a monitor, I would really appreciate it!!

m_bish0p

Over Top Auto Mechanic
damn!

After closer inspection, I found that the Flyback Transformer is smoking. So...that's probably it. It's a Hitachi 19" monitor. My guess is that means it's totally shot.

So...it looks like my fixer-upper tetris machine is a big paperweight, unless you guys have any ideas.

thanks for any info anyone has.

Reznor007

Host for Orochi
Discharge the CRT, then replace the flyback and give it a shot...might be all it needs.

m_bish0p

Over Top Auto Mechanic
how do I know what flyback to use? I've found HAPPS replacements for thier monitors, but that's about it. Is there a standard rating or something I need to know?

I've never fixed a monitor before, but I'm pretty good at reading tech specs and stuff like that. If you could point me to a how-to page that explains where to find the right flyback, and what to do, I'm pretty sure I could take it from there.

Pingu

Hardened Shock Trooper
Just take the model number on the monitor and download the manual for that particular monitor or monitor series, then search for the right trafo.