Monitor probs...

OmegaSaber

Beast Buster
Picked an Astro City up from another member here yesterday and once I got it home and moved, I fired it up and got this:

screen.jpg

Washed out white screen with the picture barely visible. The picture actually makes it look better than it is.

I have absolutely no knowledge of monitors so I don't know what's wrong. I know common problems like cap kits and all that but I don't know what to do with something like that.

I called a local guy earlier and he's saying it's probably going to run $400+ to repair or $700+ to totally replace with a new monitor. Obviously I feel like I need a second opinion before plunking down that kind of cash.

So anyone have any suggestions or anything before I pay more for this monitor than I did for the cab itself?

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Have you tried adjusting the pots? Those are the little dials directly below the monitor. Maybe the brightness it turned way up? Give it a shot and then get back to us.

Ruell

, I FORGOT MY SECRET SANTA OBLIGATION. FUCK ME, RI
Have you tried adjusting the monitor settings. I know sometimes when moving, the brightness/contrast tend to get moved accidentally. Try that and see if there's any improvements. The fact that there's a screen leads me to this rather than a cap kit, but what would I know.

OmegaSaber

Beast Buster
I've tried messing with the pots. They really don't do much of anything except change the color of the image (overall color, like it'll be more yellow instead of white). I've got RGB & Brightness, brightness doesn't do much either.

Now it's emitting a high pitched noise, which is nice.

DewmanSNK

Formerly NeoGeeO, , Collaborator
10 Year Member
Welcome to my noisy part of town...

I just got a Neo Candy 29 and my monitor is making a similar squeal or whine. From what I have read, it is one of the transformer coils that is vibrating. I was told by may people that this can be easily fixed by poking around with a stick.

Thats right, poke it with a stick...

Seriously, get a long non conductive stick (I got myself a long, thin dowel) and poke at each of the transformers while it is on. You should feel the vibrating up the stick and should be able to apply some pressure and stop the noise. Once you found it, either replace the part - or get some NON-CORROSIVE, HIGH-TEMP silicone and fill in the gaps around the transformer, or wedge a Popsicle stick to stop it from vibrating.

This is all what I have read - I was going to try the poking with a stick tonight once I work up enough nerve. I know I wont get shokced, but still I am a little freaked out. If I can get my monitor to shut up, then so be it.

I will post in my Monitor Thread when I have any news.

Cheers
:vik:

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member
Have you tried adjusting the picture pot on the monitor chassis itself? On my cab the brightness range is much lesser on the remote board (the knobs in the front) then the picture pot on the chassis in the back.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I'd say with 99% certainty this is not a pot adjustment issue at all.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Check that the noises aren't coming from the Anode cup on the back of the tube. This is the rubber suction cup that has a thick cable going back to what is called the 'flyback' which i think regulates voltage in the tube? (someone correct me)

If you're getting noises, particularliry hissing and most common on white screens, then you may have to discharge the monitor. But I dont think this would create such a problem. Im not sure.

I would check the monitor PCB's for any damage as well.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
You may want to post on the klov.com forums. There are a lot of knowledgable monitor techs on there.

OmegaSaber

Beast Buster
You may want to post on the klov.com forums. There are a lot of knowledgable monitor techs on there.

Thanks, went over there, hopefully I can get some info over there as well.

Also, if I had to replace the monitor the guy I talked to here says he can order a WG 29" for $615+shipping+labor. Searching around, this seems a tad high, but I also saw this at Happs: http://happcontrols.com/monitors/49271500.htm

If it came to that would that Makvision be an option? Or does that not come with a chassis? Sorry, I'm a newb when it comes to monitor probs.

SSS

neo retired
Almost looks like your cranking way too much voltage to the screen. try dialing down the pot on the actual flyback transformer. It isn't a white one on the chasis, but is probably black and on the side of the flyback, there will also be a "focus" pot next to it. It'll probably say "screen" or "picture" Something like this: use an insulated phillips screwdriver

flyback1.jpg

OmegaSaber

Beast Buster
FIXED.

controls.jpg

How the hell did I miss that? Fixed those broken wires up and everything is A-OK. Holy shit, avoided a bullet there.

Ruell

, I FORGOT MY SECRET SANTA OBLIGATION. FUCK ME, RI
that's good glad everything worked out ok

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Happy everything worked out well. I bought a cab and had to replace the monitor. I was annoyed at first, .....until I put a brand new Wells Gardner into it. Maybe I went overboard, but it looks sweet. Just ask N80G80.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Fantastic! Good to know its all fixed.

Theres nothing worse than finding out that your RGB monitor is having problems or doesnt work at all.