Monitor Horizontal Size Problem - Can't Adjust Coil

malkie13

Zero's Secretary
So I decided to fiddle some more with the monitor on my cab. The only real problem I'd immediately noticed was that there was some wavy distortion at the top of the screen. Tweaking the H Hold pot took care of it.

At the time, however, I noticed that the hardware test grid was actually wider than the screen (the blue outer squares go past the sides by about a square or so). I'd kept it centered and it wasn't really an issue.

Popping in my newly acquired Strikers 1945 Plus, however, and it's obvious that some screen real estate is definitely being cut off.

Poking my head in the back of the cab, it looks like I have a Wells Gardner 25K7197 harness. I dug up the manual for the 7000 series online to see what might be adjustable as far as Horizontal size goes.

Apparently there's a "Horizontal Size Coil L1" that can be adjusted. It's annoyingly placed, but can be gotten to. According to the manual:

"7. HORIZONTAL SIZE COIL L1
The horizontal size coil is a hexagonal tuning tool adjustment. This control must be adjusted slowly, if necessary, until the picture or test pattern attains the correct horizontal proportions."

The coil in question has a white plastic part up to, with a black hex nut down inside. I can't tell if the whole thing is supposed to move, or just the nut inside.

Here's the problem. I found a short enough hex wrench to get in there without tazering myself on the monitor in the process, and it's the right size, but it appears that the hex hole is broken. Trying to gently turn in either directly there is resistance, then a slip, almost like you get when trying to turn a nut or bolt that's stripped. I used a mechanic's mirror and a hi-power flashlight to look down into the part and it appears to be cracked.

Does anyone have /any/ idea what I can do about this?

It's not the end of the world, but the cutoff sides of the screen kinda sucks. On fighters and the Metal Slugs and such it's not too bad, but on 1945 it's pretty lame.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If there is resistance and then a slip it means the hex wrench is too small. See if you can find the part specs and just replace it as well.

malkie13

Zero's Secretary
If there is resistance and then a slip it means the hex wrench is too small. See if you can find the part specs and just replace it as well.

I know the ferrite core is cracked, I can see the crack in it with the mirror. And I was using a plastic adjustment hex wrench.

I'm half wondering if taking the plastic tool, dabbing the end with gorilla glue and then setting that into the core and letting it cure overnight might be an option. I suspect that replacing that coil would be a pain in the butt.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Mine was a real ass to turn....

I finally found a Metal Flathead mini screwdriver that worked....

Eventually, I got it to fit well enough to turn it...

Of course, if yours is cracked then you have to replace it.

malkie13

Zero's Secretary
download the correct schematic for your chassis from here
http://www.wellsgardner.com/service/
then contact with the correct part number this company
http://therealbobroberts.net/
Bob roberts should be able to get one for you

Hrm. According to the schematics, its supposed to be one of these:

wc3.jpg

but the one in there looks like this:

wc1.jpg

malkie13

Zero's Secretary
well they do the same thing just different manufacturers

Fair enough. Seems like these stupid things are commonly replaced. Apparently mine's a replacement already.

My concern was with them being more like a cap or a resistor where you needed a /specific/ one.