MMs on backlight film

quadmasta

New Challenger
I'm going to order some backlight film to throw in the color laser printer and print up some mini marquees. Is there an image repository for the mini marquees somewhere?

Would anybody be interested in having some printed for them? Minimum order for the stuff is 20 sheets and that'd make around 40 mini marquees and I only need about half that.

quadmasta

New Challenger
friggin awesome.

The material I'm getting is almost exactly like the stuff SNK used.

Anybody interested?

Sememmon

Crazed MVS Addict
Not I, thanks tho!

Already worked a deal with the guys over at http://www.classicarcadegrafix.com/ for some prints... Just waiting on Big Bear *cough* for the scans *cough* he said he'd send *cough* :kekeke:

Nice people. I hope their MMs are equally as nice.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Oh god please let these work, because I have a list of people a mile long wanting minis from me and kinkos hasn't been nice to me, plus mine are a bit time consuming to make, though I loved how they came out.

Eager to see how you can do, if you need a few of the files from the link below let me know

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106253

Eager to see how both of your results look, as the Creative community has been looking for a viable alternative to printing minis for games that had none for a while.

quadmasta if you need me in on the order I'd be happy to test it out with some of mine (and others) homebrew ones, let me know the cost

Also the biggest question I've had is, is there a film over the back so that the 'whites' don't just become clear spots? That was my biggest problem when coming up with the solution for printing.

also what's the thickness

Last edited:

quadmasta

New Challenger
lithy said:
quadmasta if you need me in on the order I'd be happy to test it out with some of mine (and others) homebrew ones, let me know the cost

Also the biggest question I've had is, is there a film over the back so that the 'whites' don't just become clear spots? That was my biggest problem when coming up with the solution for printing.

also what's the thickness

The stuff is EXACTLY like what's used on the SNK mini marquees. It's got a smooth glossy front and a textured back that diffuses the light. The thickness is 4.7mil so ~5mm thick.

I've gotta buy one whole pack of this stuff just to test it so hopefully I don't get screwed and it turns out well. I'm going to order the stuff today and I'll let you guys know when I've got more.

dreamstationx

Marked Wolf
20 Year Member
quadmasta said:
The stuff is EXACTLY like what's used on the SNK mini marquees. It's got a smooth glossy front and a textured back that diffuses the light. The thickness is 4.7mil so ~5mm thick.

I've gotta buy one whole pack of this stuff just to test it so hopefully I don't get screwed and it turns out well. I'm going to order the stuff today and I'll let you guys know when I've got more.
err.. you sure that aint 0.47mm thick.... 5mm is half a centimeter which is real thick.. about twice as fat as two AES memory card glued together! :D:D:D

quadmasta

New Challenger
dreamstationx said:
err.. you sure that aint 0.47mm thick.... 5mm is half a centimeter which is real thick.. about twice as fat as two AES memory card glued together! :D:D:D

I just posted what the company had on their site regarding thickness. I'm sure it's a typo and there's no way that it's 5mm thick :)

Actually, their site says "caliper thickness 4.7 mil" so that may not be an abbreviation for millimeters.

lithy

20 Year Member
4.7 mil should be about .12mm which is what we had SNKs minis measured at.

.11938 to be exact

Actually wait...maybe I've got the wrong numbers in mind brb

Ok minis are actually .012" not mm, and 4.7mil is .0047" so its going to be on the thin side, if there is any chance of finding thicker stuff you'll run into the problem of having to take it to a proffessional printer (if they'll even do it)

So, first question, is there thicker stuff? You'd be looking for 12 mil

quadmasta said:
I just posted what the company had on their site regarding thickness. I'm sure it's a typo and there's no way that it's 5mm thick :)

Actually, their site says "caliper thickness 4.7 mil" so that may not be an abbreviation for millimeters.

mil is another measuremeant entirely, its 1mil=.001" or .0254mm

Last edited:

lithy

20 Year Member
Seems like buying it by the sheet it tops out at 5 mil or so but if you get it in rolls you can get it up to 7 or 8

maybe if its something that's going to work out we could step up to a roll for a bit heavier stock.

quadmasta

New Challenger
lithy said:
Seems like buying it by the sheet it tops out at 5 mil or so but if you get it in rolls you can get it up to 7 or 8

maybe if its something that's going to work out we could step up to a roll for a bit heavier stock.

I ordered a package of that paper. I'll let you guys know when I get it. The problem I'd have with buying a roll (besides the fact that it's ridiculously expensive) is that I'd have to cut sheets of it down to paper size and with that thickness, I'm not sure if the printer would accept it.

lithy

20 Year Member
quadmasta said:
I ordered a package of that paper. I'll let you guys know when I get it. The problem I'd have with buying a roll (besides the fact that it's ridiculously expensive) is that I'd have to cut sheets of it down to paper size and with that thickness, I'm not sure if the printer would accept it.

Yeah I understand

Also, what type of printer are you going to be using?

quadmasta

New Challenger
lithy said:
Yeah I understand

Also, what type of printer are you going to be using?

I'm not sure right now 'cuz I'm not at work. I think it's a HP Color Laserjet 5550n

quadmasta

New Challenger
I got the stuff in the mail and threw a sheet into the inkjet at home here to test it out. It looks surprisingly good and should look even better on the jaserjet at work. Sorry about the bad image but it's really hard to take a picture of this and not have it yellow. It looks squished in the middle but it's just because of how I had to hold the paper to keep it from flopping over.

kof02mini.jpg

Sememmon

Crazed MVS Addict
Looks pretty good to me. I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your laser printing. We should compare notes when I get my minimarquee reprint order back from classidarcadegrafix.com.

quadmasta

New Challenger
I tried a print on the laser. Looks like the heat from the printer is messing with the paper. I'll have to print these on a inkjet.