Mistu's... CPS2 Multikit Tech Support page... Drama fr33 pls..

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
@Mitsurugi-w
I also noticed some people on AO talking about crackling in the sound. After switching to the J17 I noticed something similar, but it was really faint and after playing for a bit it went away. Might be worth investigating if all of the people getting the crackling are using the J17, and all the people who can't get the CN5 jumper to work are on revision 3 boards.

Also, a big thank you to you and Dark for this awesome project!

Last edited:

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
@Mitsurugi-w
I also noticed some people on AO talking about crackling in the sound. After switching to the J17 I noticed something similar, but it was really faint and after playing for a bit it went away. Might be worth investigating if all of the people getting the crackling are using the J17, and all the people who can't get the CN5 jumper to work are on revision 3 boards.

Also, a big thank you to you and Dark for this awesome project!

I know at least one was a Rev 6 pcb. I still do not see a correlation between all of them but my hypothesis is that it is more to do with the setups used. Here is a list of some potential culprits:

1. Insufficient/missing ground.

2. Insufficient/too much 5v. Some mentioned no sound problems when using original roms. This kit will draw a bit more power so it may be worth measuring 5v at some point on the main kit pcb to make sure it is not starving.

3. Volume too high? Some cabinets have volume control and the A-boards have volume control. Is it possible the pcb volume is turned up too high? Maybe if the cab/supergun volume pot was turned up higher but the pcb volume was turned down lower it would dissipate the static.

A few have mentioned trying it on different setups and still getting the same results so I'm not real sure. I'm pretty sure it's not the kit itself but anything is possible. Kits from the same batch are working flawlessly so it would be a long shot. I would recommend trying a different B-board but many bought a single B-board for use with this kit. I could try some different things but I need to have my hands on one of the crackling kits myself. I have not personally come across any problems yet.

Maybe someone can troubleshoot the three ideas up there and let me know.

1. Find a place that has ground on the main kit pcb and run a separate ground wire to see if feeding it better ground helps the sound.

2. Check the 5v and try raising and lowering it a bit around 5.08 - 5.12v

3. Experiment with adjusting volume.

Last edited:

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I know at least one was a Rev 6 pcb. I still do not see a correlation between all of them but my hypothesis is that it is more to do with the setups used. Here is a list of some potential culprits:

1. Insufficient/missing ground.

2. Insufficient/too much 5v. Some mentioned no sound problems when using original roms. This kit will draw a bit more power so it may be worth measuring 5v at some point on the main kit pcb to make sure it is not starving.

3. Volume too high? Some cabinets have volume control and the A-boards have volume control. Is it possible the pcb volume is turned up too high? Maybe if the cab/supergun volume pot was turned up higher but the pcb volume was turned down lower it would dissipate the static.

A few have mentioned trying it on different setups and still getting the same results so I'm not real sure. I'm pretty sure it's not the kit itself but anything is possible. Kits from the same batch are working flawlessly so it would be a long shot. I would recommend trying a different B-board but many bought a single B-board for use with this kit. I could try some different things but I need to have my hands on one of the crackling kits myself. I have not personally come across any problems yet.

Maybe someone can troubleshoot the three ideas up there and let me know.

1. Find a place that has ground on the main kit pcb and run a separate ground wire to see if feeding it better ground helps the sound.

2. Check the 5v and try raising and lowering it a bit around 5.08 - 5.12v

3. Experiment with adjusting volume.

I still get crackling sound and tried the board on multiple cabs, multiple A boards, multiple B boards. I found the crackling to be very faint when I ended up on a dead marvel vs capcom board. I can definitely rule out #3 for my situation but I will test voltages this weekend and play with that and see if I can get a different result. if that doesn't work I'll gladly try option #1 but may need you to spoon feed that step to me :-)

FLTCHRR

NEST Puppet
I got my kit today!

I was a little worried when it arrived because the box had definitely seen better days, but all the contents were pretty well packaged. In the end I had a few bent pins and J17 was completely flattened somehow, but I managed to very carefully bend everything back and get it all put together. Everything booted up perfectly. I tried it out with both a 16GB class 4 card and a super old 1GB card and they both worked great. I prepped the cards on a mac and just made sure to use the dot_clean command in terminal. Sadly, my LCD screen has a jagged splotch of broken pixels. I thought for a second it was something stuck under the protective cover, but it's damage on the screen itself. Has anyone else had this problem? I can still make out the text alright, it's just kind of a bummer. Anyway, overall I'm super psyched. This thing is pretty amazing.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
I got my kit today!

I was a little worried when it arrived because the box had definitely seen better days, but all the contents were pretty well packaged. In the end I had a few bent pins and J17 was completely flattened somehow, but I managed to very carefully bend everything back and get it all put together. Everything booted up perfectly. I tried it out with both a 16GB class 4 card and a super old 1GB card and they both worked great. I prepped the cards on a mac and just made sure to use the dot_clean command in terminal. Sadly, my LCD screen has a jagged splotch of broken pixels. I thought for a second it was something stuck under the protective cover, but it's damage on the screen itself. Has anyone else had this problem? I can still make out the text alright, it's just kind of a bummer. Anyway, overall I'm super psyched. This thing is pretty amazing.

I should have a meet up @ my place... we can multiboard it up :)

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Okay, I did some investigating into the crackling sound and here is what I came up with... it does it on the multi, but not on a board with roms. What I did was I took D&D SOM on the multi and compared it to using eproms on the same board (yes some of the sound effects are wrong on the eprom version due to the jumper settings, but it's still clear).

Multi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw_qsZIfR4g

Eproms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSqEauBS84w

Note: This was captured straight from RGB to the X-capture, so there are no outside influences. Also I tried upping the voltage on the multi to 5.10V and it made 0 difference.

Last edited:

jon713

Camel Slug
It's 3 am here in Seattle and I just finally got it running. Luckily I had a -7 board from my dark stalkers 1. Had to solder some jumpers and the small board that connects the other 2 boards was a B to connect. Any one else have this problem?

But it seems to work great! I will test more tomorrow. This kit is definitely going into my cute! Very happy with it!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435399914.537782.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1435399970.948902.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1435400005.531208.jpg

John V.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Okay, I did some investigating into the crackling sound and here is what I came up with... it does it on the multi, but not on a board with roms. What I did was I took D&D SOM on the multi and compared it to using eproms on the same board (yes some of the sound effects are wrong on the eprom version due to the jumper settings, but it's still clear).

Multi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw_qsZIfR4g

Eproms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSqEauBS84w

Note: This was captured straight from RGB to the X-capture, so there are no outside influences. Also I tried upping the voltage on the multi to 5.10V and it made 0 difference.

Yeah same problem here as well. Removed the kit and put on burned EPROMs of progear and no crackle. Moved the kit to another revision B board and there was less crackle, but it was still present. Same with hyper street fighter 2 anniversary roms (Avalanche set EPROMs) no crackle same two B boards on the test. I get much less crackle using a revision 7 that came from a marvel vs capcom board then I do from a Xmen vs streetfighter with jumpers set and a Gpal inserted.

Lemony Vengeance

yes! I was down at Ken's this week and the Vewlixs were tempting me. How are you liking yours?

dude, you better buy it before I do. My VLX wants its twin sister back. The PSUs in these aren't the best, but in all its a solid cabinet, and the F model has the best LCD monitor in amy HD cabinet ever. Not having 15 KHz is a bummer, but I'm thinking about getting an XRGB2 and running low res video through that. I've already built a francoB style jamma harness for it thats completely removable and works great.. It's how I'm controlling my Xbox one in it. :)

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Why does it seem like everyone receives it in a mangled box?

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic

Mine was in the first batch and it arrived with no major box issues or board damage. But I did note that the box was a rather thin type of cardboard. The bubble wrap is on the thin side as well, so the items didn't have enough extra padding to keep the box filled or to keep them shifting around. So the box just buckles/collapses under the strain.

Last edited:

Dion

They are being sent in different boxes and being packed much better so it really takes some effort to screw things up in shipping now.

Dion

I just want to make sure everyone reads the last line of the update instructions where it says that we are not responsible for damage you may cause by adding the reset wire yourself.

The auto-reset is an optional feature. So not necessary to the function of the kit. If you cannot cleanly and safely solder the wires yourself then please ask a professional to do it for you. We are not responsible if you damage the surrounding areas while soldering or solder to the wrong area. Also, please properly insulate your wire so that it will not short if it rubs against something else nearby on the pcb. (ie. the SD card slot shielding which acts as ground)

Fox1

20 Year Member
Ah, also I highly suggest anyone that has this kit to add a button that automatically shorts EXC5 because I've had 3 post suicides haha.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
My box arrived in pretty rough shape.

C0DE2A8E-FA31-4E8C-AA0D-98CF2E6845AE_zpseds2iykg.jpg

But the worst part is my B-board I was going to use... it's a progear boot.

Notice anything missing (upper left)?

:mad:

85E62DD9-FB9F-4972-BE11-39A46AB89889_zps1yvtghx8.jpg

Dion

Ugh. That's bad luck about the missing connector.

Someone awhile back mentioned removing the EXC5 completely to stop the need for shorting it out occasionally. Anyone want to test that? lol

Fox1

20 Year Member
Ugh. That's bad luck about the missing connector.

Someone awhile back mentioned removing the EXC5 completely to stop the need for shorting it out occasionally. Anyone want to test that? lol

I would test it, but I want to figure out the crackling problem first hah. If you want, I can send you my B board + kit?

Last edited:

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
The crackling problem? Not sure if I have it cus I think one of my speakers in my blast is blown and havent tried this on my super gun yet. Is it really apparent in Giga wing cus if I so I know what you're talking about then.

Dion

The crackling problem? Not sure if I have it cus I think one of my speakers in my blast is blown and havent tried this on my super gun yet. Is it really apparent in Giga wing cus if I so I know what you're talking about then.

Only a handful of people are having the problem. You might not have it at all.

Dion

I would test it, but I want to figure out the crackling problem first hah. If you want, I can send you my B board + kit?

If you want to send it to me and let me use it as my guinea pig that would be cool.

Lemony Vengeance

My box arrived in pretty rough shape.

C0DE2A8E-FA31-4E8C-AA0D-98CF2E6845AE_zpseds2iykg.jpg

But the worst part is my B-board I was going to use... it's a progear boot.

Notice anything missing (upper left)?

:mad:

85E62DD9-FB9F-4972-BE11-39A46AB89889_zps1yvtghx8.jpg

I have a spare, you want it? It'll be pulled from a donor board I have kicking around. I had the same issue with a legit MSH board.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
I have a spare, you want it? It'll be pulled from a donor board I have kicking around. I had the same issue with a legit MSH board.

hey man, I *really* appreciate it.. but I think I'm just going to put it back together. It's above my skill to put one on. I'm unpacking the other CPS2 boards I have to hopefully find a suitable donor.

Lemony Vengeance

hey man, I *really* appreciate it.. but I think I'm just going to put it back together. It's above my skill to put one on. I'm unpacking the other CPS2 boards I have to hopefully find a suitable donor.

ok, lemme know if you change your mind :)