Mini PC recommendations for emulation

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Will these mini PCs run newer games, like SF6 and MK1? If so they could be a viable replacement for my Chewlix cab's PC.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Have an Xbox series?
You can set up developer mode and run emulators on that then switch it back to retail mode for the new stuff like SF6 and KoF-XV.
That would also cover a good chunk of the L0L360 games.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Will these mini PCs run newer games, like SF6 and MK1? If so they could be a viable replacement for my Chewlix cab's PC.

Depends on how small you're talking. The NUCs generally don't have the ports or the space for a low profile GPU much less anything beefier. If you're interested in just a microATX case build, those can usually handle low profile GPUs like a 4060/550.

Can't run SF6 or MK1 without a graphics card from the last 4 or 5 years.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Well I picked up the unit I linked earlier. Got a coupon on top of the Black Friday discount so it came out to right around $200 including tax.

Kamrui Mini PC
-Ryzen 5500U 6C/12T 4.0GHz
-16GB DDR4
-512 GB SSD
-Windows 11 pro

Should be fine for my basic needs.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
There are steam releases too. Fairly cheap at that.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
I have a full gaming PC used for emulation, but I'm also interested in a more 'bespoke' solution dedicated to old console emulation, generally PS2 and before.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
So I got it yesterday and messed around with it a little bit. It's incredibly small and lightweight. Case is kind of cheap feeling but I was expecting that. It runs a little warm since it doesn't have a fan but not hot enough to be worrying.

Had it up and running in about 5 minutes. I really like that the version of Windows on it has almost zero bloatware. It's also shockingly fast.

Played some Neo and a couple PS1 games via Retrobat with zero issues. I've seen some people that have Steam on it and run lower end PC games but I probably won't bother with that.

It's really nice to have something so small and inexpensive that has so much functionality.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
AYANEO Retro Mini PC