METAL SLUG X PSX PORT

sir arthur

War Room Troll
Hello guys,

I am planning to buy Metal Slug X

I wouldn't mind to buy the AES game, but nowdays there are a lot of conversions that a are really difficult to differentiate...

So, I would have to buy for PS2 (anthology) or the non perfect PSX port.

Apparently the PS2 conversion has some lag, hasn't it?

How bad is the PSX port? Is it good enough?

Which port would you reccomend me? On the other hand how much is right now a MVS full kit?

Cheers!

Last edited:

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
PSX version is terrible. Complete with long loading times and white blood. Not a good time at all. MVS version is not that expensive. Not sure how much kits are going for but you can get just the cart for 50-70 USD depending on who is selling it.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I'll say this straight up. Any Playstation port of a Neo*Geo game is going to be 100% ass. Sorry to you Samurai Shodown III fans but Zankuro's 10 frames of walking animation cut down to 2 is a travesty.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
If you can, go original with MVS. You won't regret it.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
PSX port is trash and doesn't repersent the Neo cart in the least bit. To bad the Saturn port of Metal Slug 2 was never released I would have liked to seen how it would have turned out.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
PSX version is terrible. Complete with long loading times and white blood. Not a good time at all. MVS version is not that expensive. Not sure how much kits are going for but you can get just the cart for 50-70 USD depending on who is selling it.

More proof that slug 2 > x

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I will concede that NGCD Slug 2 > PSX Slug X.

But otherwise, nigga you crazy.

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
Just look at some youtube gameplay. The walking animations are cut down (other animations probably to), terrible loading times, dreadful sounds, explosion sprites are very simplified and the result looks awful.

Kid Fenris

Rugal's Thug
10 Year Member
The sole advantage of the PSX port of Metal Slug X is the Combat School mode, which isn't in the other versions of the game. Other than that, there's not much reason to bother with the PSX version nowadays.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The sole advantage of the PSX port of Metal Slug X is the Combat School mode, which isn't in the other versions of the game. Other than that, there's not much reason to bother with the PSX version nowadays.

This.

Also, if you have no means to a Neo Geo back during release of this port (Emulation was already up to par but hey not everyone likes emulation) this wasn't a bad alternative and it does represent the overall feel of the game. Just 'cause we're a bunch of spoiled brats doesn't mean the port doesn't have its merits. It's a fucking port on a PSX, come on! KOF '99 and '95 ports for PSX weren't that horrible either. Samsho III is just an entire different kind of nasty though, even though it is playable the animation cut was so horrendous, it could have been better, instead of alternating between start and end frames they should have alternated cuts in between.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
if you have no means to a Neo Geo back during release of this port this wasn't a bad alternative and it does represent the overall feel of the game. KOF '99 and '95 ports for PSX weren't that horrible either.

Preach it. If it hadn't been for the PSX I never would've even heard of the Neo. Let alone played the KOF series. Sure, the original version is superior like hell and I don't even like playing the ports for nostalgia, but I'm thankful I got to enjoy at least a little SNK goodness back then.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I know exactly how you feel, I played Neo on the arcades but at home I had to settle for SNES ports back in the day and I loved them ports. World Heroes, Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, Samurai Shodown (Arrgghh tiny zoomed out sprites or Genny huge zoomed in sprites!), I knew it wasn't quite the same but the ports played so well on SNES, it was these very ports that made me a SNK fan, the arcades were cool and I loved them too but back then I had no idea that SNK was a thing, I remember playing NES games from SNK but never thought much of companies when I was a kid, it was all just games for me.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
This.

Also, if you have no means to a Neo Geo back during release of this port (Emulation was already up to par but hey not everyone likes emulation) this wasn't a bad alternative and it does represent the overall feel of the game. Just 'cause we're a bunch of spoiled brats doesn't mean the port doesn't have its merits. It's a fucking port on a PSX, come on! KOF '99 and '95 ports for PSX weren't that horrible either. Samsho III is just an entire different kind of nasty though, even though it is playable the animation cut was so horrendous, it could have been better, instead of alternating between start and end frames they should have alternated cuts in between.

Yeah the KOF 95' port was pretty good not a whole lot of missing animations or sound.. I just wanted to throw MS-X out my window after buying it back in the day.
I still have nightmares about PSX SamShoIII

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
Funny how this thread came up while ki was selling his. I saw a copy in EB Games for the longest time back in the day. Always wanted it, but I have the MVS version so I'm happy.

Kid Fenris

Rugal's Thug
10 Year Member
This.

Also, if you have no means to a Neo Geo back during release of this port (Emulation was already up to par but hey not everyone likes emulation) this wasn't a bad alternative and it does represent the overall feel of the game.

Yeah, I enjoyed it for what it was back when it came out. It's on the PlayStation Network for six bucks now, and that's a fair price if you want to check out the Combat School. I thought that the Neo version of Metal Slug X was on the PSN as well, but it looks like SNK stopped their reissues after Metal Slug 2. You'd have to get it with Metal Slug Anthology. Weird.

I also remember liking King of Fighters '95 on the PlayStation. Sony themselves published that and the dreadful Samurai Shodown III port in America (since one of Sony's higher-ups was a former SNK guy), but they never brought out Real Bout Fatal Fury, even though they advertised it with a contest and everything.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
AES or MVS, then

Yep, AFAIK no port can top the originals. I chose MVS because it's way cheaper and a lot easier to find an original cart (plus they are the exact same game, no differences at all), but if you collect and have the money, I think you'll want to get the AES CIB cart.

Regards.

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
If you have a Wii or a Wii-U, the virtual console release is excellent. Its true 240p output too, so you don't get that blinear filtered crap in the PS2 collection. Even still, MVS is the way to go. PS1 version is bad, but nowhere near as offensive as the Samurai 3 port that was mentioned.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
MVS man. If you have the hardware to play it, by all means a full kit will still be cheaper than the AES version. Also, if you have the unibios and want the home console experience, just put it on AES mode and your set.

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
buy it/try it on the wii virtual console, the ps2 and ps1 are still runing at 50hz i guess, i assume the pal version is it which you would pick up. I am not an expert on wii but i think it should run at 60hz every game. Ask some european wii owner how the situation is.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Just jumping in on the whole SNK NEO•GEO on PS1 discussion tbh.

I had and loved FF1 on MegaDrive and FF2 on SNES, way back when. Those two titles began the SNK 'love affair'.

But it wasn't until I walked into a random shop in my local town, whilst waiting for a bus home, that I spotted 3x titles under a glass counter for sale. Games I never even knew had been released for the PS1 in the UK:

Samurai Shodown III, Real Bout Fatal Fury & King of Fighters 95. Incidentally, outside of Metal Slug X YEARS later, those were the only three SNK titles we got for PS1 in the UK. I bought all 3 of them, without hesitation (using Birthday funds), and couldn't wait to get home to get involved!

I played all of those games religiously for years and, if it wasn't for those ports (which to me, at the time/age, didn't seem flawed at all) I wouldn't be as in to the NeoGeo as I am today.

To touch on those ports a moment...

Personally, loading times aside, I genuinely think that the PS1 port of KOF 95 is very good. The port of RB1 is acceptable, but the decrease in quality was noticeable once I eventually got a hold of the Saturn Import version in the mid-2000's.

Now, SSIII is an odd one. Sure, the PS1 ports are - hands down - terrible. However, I'm unsure which 'version' you guys got in the USA? The reason I say this is that I have BOTH the PAL & JP versions of SSIII, of which the PAL version is the version I 'grew up' with. However, the JP version is definitely the worst of the two. It's just utterly unplayable. However, although the animation is arguable worse in the PAL version, I think they may have activated some sort of frameskip which keeps the action moving at a consistent rate. Whilst both versions look like shit (re: animation quality) SSIII on PAL PS1 is DEFINITELY infinitely more playable than the NTSC/JP copy I have. The two versions are slightly different too (re: options menu items amongst other things).