Metal Slug Mania...1st and 2nd Mission - 6/8

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

weird to think the franchise went through TWO arcade platforms just to end the numbered run on a handheld

(if someone can compress the threads...awesome)

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Played that 2 player with a buddy and it is fun. There are definitely pros and cons about the game (as with almost all Slug games) but it's still entertaining.
Yeah, XX is solid.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member

SLUG it out lolol (I hate myself)
Are you kidding me? You've crowbarred Undercover Cops into a Metal Slug retrospective???

Seriously?

What's next week's video? R-Type Leo the forgotten Metal Slug shmup?

Maybe you could do Dream Soccer '94 the lost Metal Slug sports game?

Fuck me.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Are you kidding me? You've crowbarred Undercover Cops into a Metal Slug retrospective???

Seriously?

What's next week's video? R-Type Leo the forgotten Metal Slug shmup?

Maybe you could do Dream Soccer '94 the lost Metal Slug sports game?

Fuck me.

there is no way in hell that Undercover Cops did NOT inspire Metal Slug lol. You'd have to be blind not to see the lineage.

Plus...its subjective! But for me...this game design wise def brought a lot to the table when it comes to Metal Slug

It's literally like watching earlier works of a filmmaker...you can see themes, subject matter, color and other touches that will lead into later works

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Nice video, as always! 🤝 In my opinion, this game proves that dithering (the "grid" of intersected colors that create the illusion of an half tone) isn't just a technical workaround to get more color shades on screen from a limited palette, but also an aestethic choice. It makes things look grittier, dirtier, and it really fits the post apocalypitc theme. I also love the first boss, it's easily my favorite in any beat 'em up: it's so great that you can kill him instantly if you make him fall in the pit (a not so subtle reference to the ending scene of Terminator, BTW) ;)

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Tarma beat me to it…😂 How about In the Hunt?

Metal Slug: the Beach Vacation Gone Wrong?

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Undercover Cops is my favorite beat-em-up featuring large concrete pillars and steel girders being used like Nerf bats.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I was briefly obsessed with Undercover Cops years ago, and made her:

12898-2.jpg12898-1.jpg

Even tried playing the Japanese original Gameboy board(?) game version. Did that ever get translated?

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Undercover Cops is my favorite beat-em-up featuring large concrete pillars and steel girders being used like Nerf bats.
It's my favourite belt scroller that doesn't feature tanks, monkey's with machine guns, large bipedal death machines, heavy machine guns and references to Independence Day in the final battle.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
How are you capturing DS footage?? Special modded DS?

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

XX and Turbo > 7 and 2. Least controversial opinion I will have in this entire series lol

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I was going to guess emulator, but now I'm curious as well. I wonder how hard it would be to mod one for capture.
emulator. DS capture is a mess and I didn't want to deal with it / spend money on a pre-done one for one video. Maybe in the future if I do a series on the DS I will pick one up

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
emulator. DS capture is a mess and I didn't want to deal with it / spend money on a pre-done one for one video. Maybe in the future if I do a series on the DS I will pick one up
From what I've seen the Mod is super messy and sketchy. I don't blame you for using an emulator. I'd probably just stick with that.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I haven't played the PSP version of XX. I just have it on Xbox 360. I wasn't interested in having a portable version. Looks more or less the same.