Metal Slug 5 MVS Corrupt Graphics

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
I've had this Metal Slug 5 MVS cart for about six months. When I first got the cart, I could play through the game perfectly. Shortly thereafter, vertical graphical corruption would happen after the game had been on for five minutes. Now the same corruption happens immediately after power on.

I checked the Troubleshooting section of the Neo Geo Dev Wiki, and it looks to me like a fix rom problem since the corruption lines don't move with the sprites. But I've checked all 8 Fix Rom pins on the back of the CHAR board, and they're all reading proper continuity with the corresponding leads on the NEO-CMC50 chip. Naturally, I've made sure that both the cart itself and the cart slot are clean. Other MVS games play fine.

Other suggestions on what the problem could be? I'm worried that the NEO-CMC50 chip itself has failed.

Pics:
Spoiler:

IMG_2174.jpg
IMG_2176.jpg
IMG_2178.jpg
IMG_2179.jpg
IMG_2170.jpg
IMG_2171.jpg

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Thanks for the link Egg-I missed that one back when it happened. Your board looks worse than mine but the symptoms are definitely similar. I'll start shopping for a donor KoF 2000. Hate to resolder a pristine cart, but that's life. Thank you!

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Zerminator has a cheap one in the Sales forum now.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Just a quick follow-up to say that Big Bear hooked me up with a replacement CHAR board and the game is working great again. Thank you Big Bear!

IMG_3233.JPG