Metal Slug 4 game failure

neogeohu

The Ultimate 11
Hi all,

There is an MS4 game.
To start off the game and then writes an error message on the screen.
What could be wrong?

Some pictures:

ms4_hiba_1.jpg

ms4_hiba_2.jpg

ms4_hiba_3.jpg

ms4_hiba_4.jpg

Can you help?

ulyses31

Crazed MVS Addict
Hi all,

There is an MS4 game.
To start off the game and then writes an error message on the screen.
What could be wrong?

This happened to me last week with a Metal Slug 3, the problem was the slot was dirty because after putting the game in a different slot I had no more problems.

neogeohu

The Ultimate 11
This happened to me last week with a Metal Slug 3, the problem was the slot was dirty because after putting the game in a different slot I had no more problems.

I am beyond the cleaning already.

neogeohu

The Ultimate 11
Okay, I got the bug.
Because Unibios 3.1 compatibility error does not go to the game.
Original BIOS al works perfectly.
Thank you.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
Raz will be able to tell you what that error screen means.
It probably means your cart is fucked/a boot and the stock BIOS just blindly carries on.
But if it works OK and you can live with the stock BIOS, fair enough.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Check the checksum in unibios. If it comes back NG there might be a prob with P ROMS. Could be dry joint or dirty connection.

neogeohu

The Ultimate 11
Check the checksum in unibios. If it comes back NG there might be a prob with P ROMS. Could be dry joint or dirty connection.

I am beyond these.
Unibios 3.1 is not compatible with the factory BIOS al works perfectly.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
What do you mean unibios is not compatible with factory bios? Do you mean it has an SMD (surface mounted) BIOS?

If the cart is clean, and there are no dry solder joints, you are looking at a faulty P ROM, which unibios can help identify. If your board won't fit a unibios you should look at dumping the P ROMs to manually check CRC.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
What do you mean unibios is not compatible with factory bios? Do you mean it has an SMD (surface mounted) BIOS?

If the cart is clean, and there are no dry solder joints, you are looking at a faulty P ROM, which unibios can help identify. If your board won't fit a unibios you should look at dumping the P ROMs to manually check CRC.

He missed a comma. It doesn't work with unibios but works fine with stock bios.
He seems happy.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
The fact it doesn't work with unibios probably means there's a problem with the game, or the MVS. The exception handling in the unibios is better than stock bios from what I've seen and will scream at the smallest thing detected wrong. I've never heard of Metal Slug 4 not working with the unibios.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
You're not missing much, the game itself is a failure :keke:

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Its a game crash and not a bios crash. Do the unibios gamecart crc check and post a picture of that. Also is the game an original or bootleg / on a multicart? Are you using an MVS or AES?

Raz

neogeohu

The Ultimate 11

3.1 UNIBIOS the game on the linked illustrated above error will always stand.
If the default BIOS put it back, it works perfectly.

Each leg has been soldered wire all examined everything works. The game works.

neogeohu

The Ultimate 11
The fact it doesn't work with unibios probably means there's a problem with the game, or the MVS. The exception handling in the unibios is better than stock bios from what I've seen and will scream at the smallest thing detected wrong. I've never heard of Metal Slug 4 not working with the unibios.

I had previously read about such defects.
I can not find the link.

neogeohu

The Ultimate 11
Its a game crash and not a bios crash. Do the unibios gamecart crc check and post a picture of that. Also is the game an original or bootleg / on a multicart? Are you using an MVS or AES?

Raz

You can see pictures above.
The original game, not bootleg not Multicart.
MVS I use to DPTP CMVS.
MVS works perfectly, I checked.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
You can see pictures above.
The original game, not bootleg not Multicart.
MVS I use to DPTP CMVS.
MVS works perfectly, I checked.

I can't see from the pictures above if its MVS or AES, or a bootleg or not. All I see are pictures of your TV screen with the error messages. Can you provide a picture of the unibios game crc screen once its completed its test. Can you provide pictures of the install also.

Raz

neogeohu

The Ultimate 11
I can't see from the pictures above if its MVS or AES, or a bootleg or not. All I see are pictures of your TV screen with the error messages. Can you provide a picture of the unibios game crc screen once its completed its test. Can you provide pictures of the install also.

Raz

You if you want to see more pictures:
3.0 and 3.1 BIOS al-tested ..

kepatmeretezes_hu_2015081109.35.42.jpg

kepatmeretezes_hu_2015081109.38.15.jpg

kepatmeretezes_hu_2015081109.38.22.jpg

kepatmeretezes_hu_2015081109.39.07.jpg

kepatmeretezes_hu_2015081109.39.18.jpg

kepatmeretezes_hu_2015081109.41.16.jpg

kepatmeretezes_hu_2015081109.41.38.jpg

kepatmeretezes_hu_2015081109.44.41.jpg

kepatmeretezes_hu_2015081110.11.29.jpg

kepatmeretezes_hu_2015081110.12.00.jpg

All of this sub-2 BIOS error appears.
For both, the CRC test is flawless.

Original BIOS al no mistake, the game runs perfectly.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The problem is most likely that the MS4 cart PCBs are too wide and need to be shaved. This is a common problem with them.

If you measure one of the boards in the working games you will notice that the MS4 PCBs are slightly wider, this causes the boards to warp when inserted into the cart slot and breaking connection. You should only need to shave them about 1mm per side for both the PROG and CHA board.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
The game is crashing right after it writes to the bank ports. This suggests that the issue is either dirty / bent cart contacts or an outside chance there is issues with your PSU. It was nothing to do with the unibios code but maybe the Eprom you used to program it is dodgy causes a differed power draw.

Raz

neogeohu

The Ultimate 11
The problem is most likely that the MS4 cart PCBs are too wide and need to be shaved. This is a common problem with them.

Yes, you're right, it really is thicker than the average PBC's.

Last edited:

Asure

Captain Dick,
Your +5V and GND wires at the jamma edge are also very thin, this _might_ be causing wierd glitches as well.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I had the same exact issue with my MS4, I shaved the boards a bit and it works fine now.