Metal Slug 3 (XBOX) - Playable Demo in Latest OXM!

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Spike23 said:
i HIGHLY doubt that a "pack of angry gamers" (ie. the few SNK/Neo Geo die-hards) made them put blood in Metal Slug 3 for the X-Box.

for those that didn't know, SCEA (Sony Computer Entertainment of America) made the decision to censor them for some ungodly reason (in the US). the Japanese imports are uncensored.

so a few fans of King of Fighters didn't change their mind or make them add blood to MS3. if you think that, you need to lay off the crack for a while.
I don't think that SCEA had anything to do with it. SCEA published KOF 95 for us and it was totally uncensored. Remember The Last Blade 2 on Dreamcast in the U.S.? Now that was censored.

Spike23

Ninja Combat Warrior
Lets Gekiga In said:
I don't think that SCEA had anything to do with it. SCEA published KOF 95 for us and it was totally uncensored. Remember The Last Blade 2 on Dreamcast in the U.S.? Now that was censored.

true. Last Blade 2 was censored in the US for the Dreamcast.......but King of Fighters '95 "totally uncensored"?! now that's crazy. the game may have had the blood and bounce, but it was missing frames of animation and didn't quite live up to the MVS/AES version. still not a bad port though (i still own the PS version myself).

as for the censoring of Metal Slug X, i believe SCEA pushed SNK to tone it down due to the massive amounts of blood and violence (shooting, killing, and blood). Agetec helped put it out here in the US and i'm sure SCEA passed along the word through SNK for them to do the "usual".....white blood.

i'm not saying that SCEA did in fact have a say in it. i'm merely giving my opinion on it--i'd almost bet that they had a say in how it arrived in the US.

on a side note, i tried the Metal Slug 3 demo at Toys R Us and it didn't impress me that much. it's EXACTLY the same as the PS2 import (only difference is the cheesy american names for the rescued soldiers--the import has them in Japanese). i'm not downing it or anything. it's a great game and i highly praise it, BUT for me, it's not worth picking up again since i've had the PS2 version for a year now. and about these "extra features", such as the alternate routes and all......am i crazy or are these the EXACT same routes as the PS2 version and the MVS? also, the PS2 version has a couple of extra bonus games, so i'm thinking that the only TRUE "extra" on the X-Box version is the LIVE scoreboard thing.

(and so none of you attack my opinion on this version, just know that i'm an X-Box owner and i enjoy playing it--i do NOT play LIVE or do the online gaming thing and i WOULD get Metal Slug 3 for X-Box, if i didn't already have the PS2 import).

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
I played this at the Target display last night. Spot on! I prebooked it at EB last weekend but now I cant wait.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Spike23 said:
true. Last Blade 2 was censored in the US for the Dreamcast.......but King of Fighters '95 "totally uncensored"?! now that's crazy. the game may have had the blood and bounce, but it was missing frames of animation and didn't quite live up to the MVS/AES version. still not a bad port though (i still own the PS version myself).
That's my point, the game had blood and bounce, that to me is uncensored. Missing frames of animation due to hardware is a hardware flaw or lazy porting. It was uncensored in the fact that it was exactly the same as the Japanese PlayStation version.

And why do you have the suspicion that SCEA has a hand in the white blood and such for Metal Slug X when you know that Last Blade 2 was censored itself and I don't think that was by SEGA. I think SNK and SNKP did a direct port of the American version of the game, and it's just out of laziness that we get the white blood or no bounce. But as for why those versions for MVS/AES were censored in the first place, I don't really know why.

cLo

Marked Wolf
Is this the issue with Def Jam 2 on the cover? I saw it at the store, but there was no mention of Metal Slug 3. If it's something else, what's on the current cover so I know not to get the wrong one?

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Spike23 said:
true. Last Blade 2 was censored in the US for the Dreamcast.......but King of Fighters '95 "totally uncensored"?! now that's crazy.

As for the censoring of Metal Slug X, i believe SCEA pushed SNK to tone it down due to the massive amounts of blood and violence (shooting, killing, and blood). Agetec helped put it out here in the US and i'm sure SCEA passed along the word through SNK for them to do the "usual".....white blood.

All SNK games ported to the US post-SS3 were censored just like their AES counterparts. This was due only to SNK/Playmore Japan's policy. Games translated by Agetec/Ascii were censored at SNKP Japan's request, and the only game brought over by SNK themselves (KoF '99 DM for DC) was censored.

All games ported by Sony themselves were uncensored (KoF '95, SS3, MS demo).

ranmafan1212

New Challenger
cLo said:
Is this the issue with Def Jam 2 on the cover? I saw it at the store, but there was no mention of Metal Slug 3. If it's something else, what's on the current cover so I know not to get the wrong one?

No. The issue with the Metal Slug 3 demo has Van Helsing and Halo 2 on the cover.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
What's my problem...

I got the demo/mag yesterday..

The first game demo I played was Metal Slug 3..

It looks good/plays well etc....

Metal Slug 3 is my favorite slug,but I wasn't to thrilled playing it on the Xbox and most of my game playing is currently on the Xbox.

I don't know why..
Since I have it on MVS,I just like playing it in the cab more..

The trill just isn't there for me playing it on the Xbox...That's just me though.

I'm glad it came out and I will buy the whole game,but I won't play it as much as I do in the cab..

What's my problem,Am I to old school or has having the MVS/AES spoiled me..(?)

...................................................................................................

legendofspeed

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I know gameplay is everything, but I figured I should bring up the graphics. I'm running it on my PS2 through a monster s-video cable. It looks like it runs at a silky smooth 60fps when theres not much on the screen, and when the action gets intense its about 30fps (once again, theres aren't actual numbers, I'm comparing them to other games I've seen in 60fps, etc.). So did SNK polish it a bit more for the XBOX?

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
The main thing is speed. So far, in the demo, it doesn't slow down for anything. I would say it could make the game harder, but this is mission 1 I'm talking about. That mission only gets but to a certain level of difficulty, since the demo only plays at normal(no option select on demo). I'd say it's as fast as it gets.

Dio_Brando

Edo Express Delivery Guy
The newest EGM has a MS3 review. Anyone get it? Scans?

Metal Slug 3 - 7.5, 6.5, 8.0

"One of the best 2D shooters around"
"Hard, fairly bare-bones port"
"Polished, well-balanced, and freaking difficult to boot, this Slug is a testament to gaming artistry."
"...there's no shame is skipping this-it's a truly frustrating game. All you fellow masochists, though, here's your fix until the next Contra shows up."

legendofspeed

B. Jenet's Firstmate
EGM said:
All you fellow masochists, though, here's your fix until the next Contra shows up.

Freaking EGM, such SNK haters. How long have we been waiting for the next contra, ten years already? Contra: Shattered Soldier would of been good if they had the regular "pick up new weapons" gameplay, but instead your limited to three at all times. EGM = SNK Haters

ferrarimanf355

Bullets QB
I finally got the demo disc. It has a playable demo of Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay, though. I can't seem to rip myself away from that to get to the MS3 demo, though judging from the comments here, it's all good. :glee:

Jim is hot

Cheng's Errand Boy
eh?

Spike23 said:
i HIGHLY doubt that a "pack of angry gamers" (ie. the few SNK/Neo Geo die-hards) made them put blood in Metal Slug 3 for the X-Box.

for those that didn't know, SCEA (Sony Computer Entertainment of America) made the decision to censor them for some ungodly reason (in the US). the Japanese imports are uncensored.

so a few fans of King of Fighters didn't change their mind or make them add blood to MS3. if you think that, you need to lay off the crack for a while.

on a side note, i might pick it up (but i've already got the PS2 import--not sure if it's worth having since i've had that copy for a year).

if that's the case then why were the SNK ports on US DC censored?

Dio_Brando

Edo Express Delivery Guy
ferrarimanf355 said:
I finally got the demo disc. It has a playable demo of Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay, though. I can't seem to rip myself away from that to get to the MS3 demo, though judging from the comments here, it's all good. :glee:

Thank you for your off-topic comments about the Riddick shit.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
AES/MVS MS3 > PS2 & XBox alternatives

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
xtoo_short20x said:

That would almost be true if it wasn't for XBox Live.

I don't give a shit what you say, Live makes any of the XBox ports about 34987324091274309184731497x10^34 times better than the Neo versions.

Of course I'm talking to a fanboy so it doesn't matter, lets not argue. Just promise me you'll get Live when KOF2k2 comes out on XBox, mkay? ;)

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
xtoo_short20x said:

Just keep telling yourself that. :rolleyes:

What is so much better about them? Bonus features like "slowdown?"

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
MS3 AES = PS2 MS3

I love both of them. They are equal-treated =)

It's easier for me to play PS2 version than AES..........."unlimited continues" :drool:

daybona

Juz,

I have to agree with Jorge here. Of course the Xbox destorys the Neo from a hardware perspective. But what the Neo lacks in raw horsepower, it makes up for with aesthetics. I'm not going to go into details, anyone who has owned their own aes or mvs setup knows the "magic" I speak of.

don't give a shit what you say, Live makes any of the XBox ports about 34987324091274309184731497x10^34 times better than the Neo versions.

I think its a sad day when someone gets flamed on the forums of a website for supporting a system that the whole site is named after....

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against ports. I think they're a great way to introduce people to the world of Neo Geo. I just happen to prefer playing originals.

I'm not intending to start a flame war or crap on anyones post, I just think that if you are posting on a site called Neo-geo.com, showing some respect for the Neo should ge a given.

Jedite

Bunker Buster
I'll just keep the one that I have on the Neo, because I rather use a joystick, rather than the XBOX controller. I just don't like the D-Pad on the XBOX. Also, I hardly play online, so, I might rent it, and see what special features there are.

Ukyo

20 Year Member
a little something...

i have the aes and demo, everything seems spot on, animations, control, everything, accept the sprites are alliased and the background seems considerably "softened" but thats about it. not the crisp background of the original.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
I'll probably pick up a copy of the bawkz version, but I'll always prefer the original.

Metal Fatigue

Robert Garcia's Butler
The only LIVE feature MS3 has is leaderboards there jimmy, so calm down. ;)

Still cool but not overwhelming.