Metal Slug 2 the way it should have been?

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
Metal Slug 2 Turbo running on an overclocked Neo-Geo, super smooth.

Unfortunately theres really frequent random restarts so the game is not playable, this is an AES conversion running on a 16Mhz overclocked AES, I might try making an MVS MS2 Turbo and see if my overclocked Omega will run it.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Making an MVS one won't change anything. What speed EPROMs did you use for the update?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I believe the answer is Metal Slug X.....

:snack:

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
For the amount of effort your doing, just do yourself a favor.

1. Download UDK; Learn UDK

2. Build a remake of Metal Slug 2 in UDK, its got all the collision detection, bullet physics already done for you. (And if you don't think it can do this kind of thing... Guilty Gear XRD is built in UDK)

3. Build a linux console box, put said UDK game on it, and run it in DirectFB.

4. Profit.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
Making an MVS one won't change anything. What speed EPROMs did you use for the update?

I don't know, Fox1 burned it for me.

My overclocked AES won't run MS3, the overclocked Omega will.

That's really the only reason I want to try it.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I don't know, Fox1 burned it for me.

My overclocked AES won't run MS3, the overclocked Omega will.

That's really the only reason I want to try it.

never try to overclock my CMVS
But so far MS2 "turbo" plays fine............I like it :)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I have an actual MS3 AES, it just won't work on the AES.

The Omega will run my MS3 MVS no problem.

There's probably something wrong with your AES. I played all the slugs on a overclocked(16) AES and they all worked fine. When was the last time you cleaned the slots?

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
There's probably something wrong with your AES. I played all the slugs on a overclocked(16) AES and they all worked fine. When was the last time you cleaned the slots?

In November I think, the game runs fine once I flick the switch and go to the stock 12mhz, who knows what's going on.

Edit: did you use a converter to test all the slug games? Dumb question right

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I believe the answer is Metal Slug X.....

:snack:
...pretty much...I got the Turbo MS2 as well and I love it but any further than this and it's just...well...can emulation achieve the same result?

Missile

Another Striker
I know, (I read the original Turbo patch thread) that it's a lot of work but I'm sure there must be someone with the necessary 68k skills who would "fix" the MS2 code properly for money. We'd all chip in for that right?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
X Still has enough cool differences to keep me coming back though. I'm one of those people that when I love something, the more the better. People get in a piss contest over X>2, I mean, I love both but if I had to choose, X takes it regardless if 2 ran just as good as X does. That's not saying 2 isn't phenomenal, it is, and with the Turbo it's a big help. I'll look into the PS2 port, funny enough the Neo CD emulator in XBOX original plays Neo CDs great, loading screens are pretty much just momentary pretty pics and then bam the game plays, in MS2 there wasn't any slowdown, that was pretty cool, the only problem that I see is the pixel reproduction which was iffy, but alas the game is what's important and it plays great.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
PS2 Anthology port removed slowdown. Made X moot.

i have the anthology for the wii. bought it for metal slug 6 but haven't played slug 2 on it yet. nice to know slug 2 was fixed for it.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I know, (I read the original Turbo patch thread) that it's a lot of work but I'm sure there must be someone with the necessary 68k skills who would "fix" the MS2 code properly for money. We'd all chip in for that right?

smkdan was going to do it if he was compensated enough. Haven't seen him in a while.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
In November I think, the game runs fine once I flick the switch and go to the stock 12mhz, who knows what's going on.

Edit: did you use a converter to test all the slug games? Dumb question right

When I played it was with a converter since I don't have the AES ones but a customer I OC'd an AES for in the UK has all the slugs and told me back then "Played through them all, a much better experience". So from that gathered they all worked fine.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
MS2 Turbo plays much better than the normal MS2, but an overclocked system still runs MS2 better than just the turbo patch.

My AES is overclocked w/ 16mhz as well. Jeff Kurtz done the mod added a rocker switch to switch back to stock for other games. Slug 2 plays like a champ overclocked.

Last edited: