Metal Slug 1 Conversion..Problems?

prefect

Zero's Secretary
Hey,

I have a Metal Slug 1 conversion done by Jeff Kurtz and while playing I have noticed a few things that are a bit off. And was wondering if these things are normal or if there is something wrong with my cart.

Since I don't own this game on CD, MVS or the original AES I can only make comparisons against the emulated version.

1) On mission one, approx. 3/4 of the way through you encounter some flowing water and some cascading waterfalls in the background. On my AES convert this water is moving 10x faster than it does on the emu rom. It looks pretty silly which caught my attention.

2) On any mission collecting a gas container yields a red/yellow "1000" point message while on the emu it says "GAS"

3) I could be thinking of a different slug but I could have sworn that on Mission 2, while crossing the stone bridge, if you fell into the water a gaint bass would eat you. I have not seen this happen on my convert, but again I may be thinking of one of the other iteration (although I am almost positive it was the first).

Anyway I was wondering if any that has a original Slug 1 for AES or MVS could verify these differences.

And if in fact this is not how the game is supposed to look, (like the super fast water animations) is there is any remedy.

Thank you for your time.

Cheers.

p.s. Oh I am playing on a Modded AES system, not sure if that would make a difference though.

KaedesBlade

Bead Banger
Converted cart are exactly the same as if you had the original aes or mvs cart.

I have played this game on mvs, aes, and ngcd. Near the end of level 1, the water does flow very fast.

If you collect a gas tank a red/yellow "1000" point message appears. I have never seen the message "GAS", maybe you get that only in the emu version.

Lastly, I don't remember anything about getting eaten by a fish, if you fell into the water in mission 2.

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
There are some problems with emulated neo hardware, one being the auto-animation sprites (such as the water), the timing is not accurate.

You should never compare the real game to the emulated one :) It's just not the same. The emulators are not 100% accurate (yet).

Also, if sound and graphics are working, the conversion is fine. If you had sound cracking/popping or the screen looked like garbled gfx, then you'd need to worry about the cart.

Jeff

[ August 23, 2002: Message edited by: JMKurtz ]</p>

prefect

Zero's Secretary
Thanks guys.

It sounds like everything is fine.

I just thought I would check.

Again thank you.

cgun

Fio's Quartermaster
This thread is just what i needed. I just bought a slug conversion made by Kurtz. As far as i've heard (from the previous owner) it should be very close to the real thing.
When i play emulated MVS-only games set on console they have options. Does every neo-game have options and stuff like that even if theyre MVS only?

garou_d

Aero Fighter,
Originally posted by prefect:
<strong>3) I could be thinking of a different slug but I could have sworn that on Mission 2, while crossing the stone bridge, if you fell into the water a gaint bass would eat you. I have not seen this happen on my convert, but again I may be thinking of one of the other iteration (although I am almost positive it was the first).</strong><hr></blockquote>

it hapened me twice I think. I dunno of what it depends (?)

SNKFreak

Banned
the fish thing you're thinking about is I think in MSX or MS3, when you kill the "CMON BOY" dude he falls in the watter and gets eaten by a killer whale.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
actually, the roms unless haxored, are the same as the game. so other than timing issues everything is the same.

which means, yes it will say either gas or 1000 when you pick up a gas tank.

it says gas when you need well, more gas.

and when your metal slug is full or if you dont have one it says 1000

cgun

Fio's Quartermaster
About the big fish eating you in the second level. It´s there, i´ve seen it sometimes i 2P-mode only thought.