Memory Card Faq

CMS

Previously A04_msh.
a04_msh said:
I just got a new memory card but the high score is not saving on Metal slug 3, only the change in options are saved. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

...it's, actually, not saving high scores on any of my games :conf:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The memory card is not supposed to save high scores. To do that, you need an MVS system.

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
So i picked up a memory card/reader for my cabinet - I wanted to finally play through a full season of Baseball Stars 2. Do I need to have my bios set to home or arcade? Also, does it automatically save or do I need to press something?

Thanks in advance!

n/m - tried it out a few minutes ago - pretty self explanatory!

Last edited:

Humanfly

n00b
Originally Posted by metallizer
1. Card Format
2. Display Data
3. Copy Data
4. Delete Data
5. Username
6. End

Can anyone tell me how i do have to confirm "card format"?

jetblue

Crossed Swords Squire
Can someone post a pic of the memory card from the front showing the plastic edge insertion groove's and the contacts?
thanks

Temjin

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Neo Alec said:
The memory card is not supposed to save high scores. To do that, you need an MVS system.

And that is by far the most stupid thing about the AES. Arcade perfect games at home and a memory card, but you can't save high scores!?! I never understood what they where thinking. I rather be able to save high scores than levels.:confused:

*Richter*

Banned
Temjin said:
And that is by far the most stupid thing about the AES. Arcade perfect games at home and a memory card, but you can't save high scores!?! I never understood what they where thinking. I rather be able to save high scores than levels.:confused:

Yeah,
especially when playing the games at home and in the arcade...

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
None of the early 90's arcade boards with batteries that I own save the high scores, just the config options (the ones that don't use dip switches for this). Only the MVS seems to save high scores after being unplugged. You're lucky it has it. It's not really an essential feature though when you consider pencil and paper works practically as well. It made sense to cut the feature out of the home version at the time, especially since home users generally only compete with themselves, while arcade users have everyone in the arcade to compete with.

spokn20

n00b
I have a problem with my memory card on my PSP when I play on this game this game will not work on my PSP in the other game it will work what should I do in my PSP device I think I wasting time with this memory card.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I have a problem with my memory card on my PSP when I play on this game this game will not work on my PSP in the other game it will work what should I do in my PSP device I think I wasting time with this memory card.

Welcome my Visayan brother.

Krayt88

New Challenger
What exactly happens when you plug the memory card in? I have one for my mvs but when i put it in nothing happened, or at least i didnt notice anything, but then I dont know what to be looking for either.

chewurface

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
What exactly happens when you plug the memory card in? I have one for my mvs but when i put it in nothing happened, or at least i didnt notice anything, but then I dont know what to be looking for either.

When starting a game, if there is save data present, you will get a LOAD DATA? screen. When ending a game, if the memory card is inserted, you will get a SAVE DATA? screen. Once saved (or not) a MVS system will flash "PLEASE TAKE YOUR MEMORY CARD" or something to that effect on the screen.

Memory cards only save game progress, not high scores.

Krayt88

New Challenger
so if, for example, I'm playing metal slug, once i'm out of credits I will get a save data screen?

Likewise, if my memory card is in when i add credits, i will be asked if i want to load data?

Krayt88

New Challenger
so if, for example, I'm playing metal slug, once i'm out of credits I will get a save data screen?

Likewise, if my memory card is in when i add credits, i will be asked if i want to load data?

Ok so I played around with it and it turns out how I thought it would work is actually how it does work.

So, for anybody who has never used a memory card, much like myself up until today, this is what you do:

Put the card in while you are playing, or I suppose when you are just about done playing. After you die and the count down ends a little "bubble" will pop up asking if you want to save your data. Of course you select yes, then confirm. Then the screen will go black and remind you that your card is still in the slot (a handy feature, as I'm sure that many people would leave their memory card in an arcade if they weren't reminded). Now, loading a game is just as simple. Insert your card, then put in some coins. When you start the game it will ask you if you want to load your saved data (assuming you have saved some data for the game in question), and you select yes, and then there ya go.

I played through a couple levels of Metal Slug X with a friend and then saved. When I loaded just a little bit later we were able to choose a starting level from the levels we had already beaten, which I thought was pretty cool. Not sure how many other games have this same sort of thing but I'm sure there are a few.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Then the screen will go black and remind you that your card is still in the slot (a handy feature, as I'm sure that many people would leave their memory card in an arcade if they weren't reminded).
I have. Fortunately I noticed I didn't have it while I was still at the arcade and went back to the machine. It was still there.

I played through a couple levels of Metal Slug X with a friend and then saved. When I loaded just a little bit later we were able to choose a starting level from the levels we had already beaten, which I thought was pretty cool. Not sure how many other games have this same sort of thing but I'm sure there are a few.
Nope. Just all the Metal Slug games except for the first one.

chewurface

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Nope. Just all the Metal Slug games except for the first one.

Metal Slug 1 has a level select, works the same as all the others. Upon a data load you can select any level you've already completed.

[edit]
No it doesn't...

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Metal Slug 1 has a level select, works the same as all the others. Upon a data load you can select any level you've already completed.
You'd better double check. I've checked this already myself quite some time ago. The only way I know to start from any level in the first one is to get the CD version and play the training mode.

chewurface

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Perhaps it's only available when running in AES mode?

I can check later (at work now), but I'm like positive MS1 has a level select.

[edit]
If I am wrong about the cart version of MS1 having a level select, I know there is at least one version that does. I'm pretty sure I have every port of MS for every system, and I just know I've used level select in the game. I've never used any training modes, so I know it was just there when save data was present.

Last edited:

Krayt88

New Challenger
There seriously isn't any games outside of the metal slug series that let you do a level select? It seems like that would be a pretty simple concept for people to think of and put in their games.

chewurface

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Oops

Well, I was wrong, and Neo Alec right...Metal Slug (1) does not have a level select upon loading data in the cart (MVS) version. I tried it in both AES and MVS modes and it just brings you to the stage you saved on. My bad.

Still, I know there is at least one port of Metal Slug that does have the level select....I just know I've used it. :scratch:

Perhaps it's the Saturn port, or Neo CD, or Playstation. :conf:

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
The US Metal Slug X PSX port has a level select after you complete the game once.
It was weird.. I'd played through it in two player mode with a friend in the dorms at the time.
It just seemed odd that a game that we'd completed in ~45 minutes had a level select.

Iirc, it's a screen with General Morden in the background, holding knife and fork, while you press left or right to select a level as it swoops in front of Morden, as if it were him sitting down to a five course meal.

the.bet

Kula's Candy
15 Year Member
anybody know the answer to silverslugs question?
Baseballstars 2 is not as fun without the memory card!!!!!!!

Pennent mode is neat

I just got a memory card for it and it is like I have a new game.

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
I can't figure out how to get the card to work on my jap system. I'm playing metal slug X using a mvs adapter. After I die I get the option to save then a bunch of kanjii then it says no save? I got it to work on my us system but I cant figure it out on the jap one.