Mein Übermensch / I vagary recall something about giant chelicerates

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Here's an Übermutant mini action figure, with meat cleaver accessories--based on the PC Spear of Destiny video game in which he appears--that I made. I decided to make his proportions somewhat more realistic, as the Wolfenstein 3D/Spear of Destiny game sprites are rather chunky looking. I was also thinking of making him a backpack, with an ammunition belt feeding out of it and into a slot in his back, in the interest of having a plausible source of ammunition for his chain gun, but, then, I reminded myself that he is a made-up creature whose design probably wouldn't work in the 'real' world anyway, and decided to leave him as he appears in the game, just 'magically' having ammo for the gun from no apparent source (in my write-up, I just said the bullets are somehow stored/produced internally)--in that respect, I guess I'll just think of him as an animated Nazi pinata filled with bullets.

SOD_ubermutant.jpg

SOD_uber_abuse.jpg

(NOTE: Figure shown above holding my Übermutant is a M&C Toy Power Team Elite World Peacekeepers 'U.N. Force' 12-inch toy--I didn't make it. And, yes, I know troops in WWII didn't have that kind of uniform/equipment--I don't have any WWII-era toys, so I had to make due with a modern soldier for this photo.)

For comparison purposes, below are three images of Übermutant from different video game systems. Note that the MAC version has double resolution sprites (128x128 pixels) compared to the SNES and PC versions (64x64 pixels), which is why that version of Übermutant is more detailed.

SOD_ubermutantREF.gif

Webpage with more info (dimensions/materials/background story/etc). In my research, I found the real history behind Hitler/Nazi interest in the Spear of Destiny (the legendary weapon used to pierce Jesus on the cross) to be quite fascinating, and I recommend reading up on it if you're interested and would like to know more on the subject:

http://www.geocities.com/kramwartap/ubermutant.html

This is a 'Doom 3' Vagary mini action figure that I started yesterday (7/29/07). I was going to make a 'Doom 3: Ressurection of Evil' Bruiser or Hazmat Zombie, but decided on her instead after reviewing my Doom 3 bestiary folder. The upper female body is pretty much finished, but unpainted. Nine working joints so far [neck (2), shoulders (2), elbows (2), wrists (2), and mid-torso]. The transparent abdomen on the spider body might be troublesome to make (historically, I haven't had much luck with fabricating items out of clear plastic that aren't composed of flat planes), so, if that doesn't work out the way I want I might have to alter the design somewhat to accomodate my shortcomings.

DM3_vagaryFAB.jpg

For comparison purposes, photo of a Vagary from Doom 3:

DM3_vagaryREF.jpg

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Day 2: Some of the spider's body and the largest pair of legs completed. The legs aren't difficult to do, but they are rather tedious from the standpoint of having to make the same thing eight times in a row, just in different sizes (technically, I suppose the smallest, front pair are chelicerae, not legs). I also tinkered some more with her head and moved the two side barbs on her torso up higher. Nineteen working joints now (I estimate a total of 50 when finished).

DM3_vagaryFAB2.jpg

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
M said:

Hahaha, great stuff.

Cool figure by the way, i'm looking forward to seeing how the Vagary will turn out. Looks very cool so far.