MD3 vs. MPE

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
I've been looking at some of the puzzle games that were released for the Neo Geo and had a chance today to play Money Puzzle Exchanger for the first time. I'm used to the gameplay of Magical Drop 2 and 3 and found the play mechanics interesting in contrast. They look similar but MPE appears to have more to it that I'm not picking up as quickly as I did with MD3.

Which one do you guys prefer? Magical Drop or Money Puzzle Exchanger?

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I prefer MD2 over MD3 and I prefer MPE over both. I just like the whole Money theme,aesthetics....
I just couldn't get into MD3.I'm going to have to revisit that one down the line here.
BB

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Magical Drop 2. Simply the best puzzle game ever!

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
definitely prefer MD2 over MD3. havnt gotten to try MPE. should get on that here soon.

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I'd say that MPE is the better of the three for what I want out of a neo puzzle game as its matching system is much more interesting than in the Magical Drop series.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Money Idol Exchanger system is better, but magical drop characters have more character.

If you play both regularly, you will notice md2 has massive amounts of input lag in the inputs compared to the fluidness of money idol exchanger.

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
I don't have MPE (yet) but as far as MD2 vs. MD3, I prefer MD3. The secret stages, adventure mode and large selection of playable characters are my aim reasons.

It looks like I'll have to play more MPE. But first I'll have to track down a cart

Metal Slug76

Cheng's Errand Boy
I defiantly prefer MD3 to 2 as the lag can be very noticeable between the two. Only played MPE a handful of times but I would say I prefer MD3 for its characters and story mode.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I've always preferred MPE for its added gameplay elements, but MD3 is a great game and a lot of fun, too. I'm surprised there is such a following for MD2. I might have to check that one out.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
The two games never felt comparable to me. MD is extremely frantic and fast. MPE is much slower and meticulous.

I like MD3 the most of the three. It's one of the best puzzle games ever in my book.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
MPE is an excellent game though the artstyle never did anything for me - it has such good gameplay and trying to do math while going head to head is great - something so simple becomes complex. Great game.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
MPE never did anything for me too.

Drop 3 looks nice (1P action).

But Drop 2 is good for vs.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I prefer MD2 over MD3 and I prefer MPE over both. I just like the whole Money theme,aesthetics....
I just couldn't get into MD3.I'm going to have to revisit that one down the line here.
BB
I don't get it, MD2 is a good game no doubt but MD3 is just more fluid, faster chains and what have you. MPE is awesome as well, people that think MPE doesn't get fast got another thing coming 'cause it does if you want to make it through. MD3 starts with easy setups so it's frantic but when things get complicated you have to be methodical and frantic all at once, just like MPE.

Love both games, as a matter of fact I love all the puzzle games on the Neo, maybe not so much for gururin and pop n' bounce.

blotter12

Kabuki Klasher
MD3 all the way. MPE is close, but I just like MD3 better. Maybe it's because I played it before I played MPE, or maybe because I've played it more, but I like MD3 better.