May The Force Be With You BITCHES!

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Completely. All the Resistance really has to do is hide out somewhere a couple weeks and let the First Order implode on it's own, because it's now being led by two complete incompetents.

They really made a big mistake in Last Jedi when they so firmly established that Hux is a complete joke right at the beginning of the movie. It totally undermines him as any kind of threat. Can you imagine someone doing that prank call thing with Vader or the Emperor? Or even Tarkin? Of course not. And Kylo is such an emotional wreck. He's believable enough as a leader of a small force of troops, but no way is he equipped to run any kind of government, even at the city level. Just not in his toolbox. I mean, Anakin seemed ill-equipped for his ambition of running things, but compared to Kylo, he was like Thomas Jefferson or something.

The commander of the Dreadnought was much better than Hux. The look on his face before his ship explodes is fucking gold.

Hux is way too young, the First Order General should be an older man and that should play into his dynamic with Kylo. Old mature and experienced commander who worked his way through the ranks vs young immature guy who got there because of his Force abilities and basically jumped the line.

Last edited:

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Completely. All the Resistance really has to do is hide out somewhere a couple weeks and let the First Order implode on it's own, because it's now being led by two complete incompetents.

They really made a big mistake in Last Jedi when they so firmly established that Hux is a complete joke right at the beginning of the movie. It totally undermines him as any kind of threat. Can you imagine someone doing that prank call thing with Vader or the Emperor? Or even Tarkin? Of course not. And Kylo is such an emotional wreck. He's believable enough as a leader of a small force of troops, but no way is he equipped to run any kind of government, even at the city level. Just not in his toolbox. I mean, Anakin seemed ill-equipped for his ambition of running things, but compared to Kylo, he was like Thomas Jefferson or something.

Good point, maybe they don't need to film Episode IX. They can just rerelease Dumb and Dumber as the final piece of this trilogy.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
THe Cartoon Network grade humor of the Poe Dameron prank call speaks to me about what is passing for humor with younger audiences these days. But it was ill placed here. As an audience member, I know that this film will not end with the First Order killing everybody. But here, the First Order seems to be succeeding in spite of its own bumbling command structure. Are they a threat or are they the Star Wars galaxy's version of the Keystone Cops? Or is it that we take them seriously only when required?

This guy may as well have been Spaceballs' Colonel Sanders. Even if the argument is that 'this thing between the Resistance and the First Order isn't the important story, it's what happens between Kylo and Rey', that almost makes it worse. That means a good portion of movie is nothing more than filler. So I'm inclined to believe that Hux, like everything in this movie, is misguided and slipshod storytelling.

The Hux prank call belongs in Robot Chicken, not Star Wars.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
THe Cartoon Network grade humor of the Poe Dameron prank call speaks to me about what is passing for humor with younger audiences these days. But it was ill placed here. As an audience member, I know that this film will not end with the First Order killing everybody. But here, the First Order seems to be succeeding in spite of its own bumbling command structure. Are they a threat or are they the Star Wars galaxy's version of the Keystone Cops? Or is it that we take them seriously only when required?

This guy may as well have been Spaceballs' Colonel Sanders. Even if the argument is that 'this thing between the Resistance and the First Order isn't the important story, it's what happens between Kylo and Rey', that almost makes it worse. That means a good portion of movie is nothing more than filler. So I'm inclined to believe that Hux, like everything in this movie, is misguided and slipshod storytelling.

The Hux prank call belongs in Robot Chicken, not Star Wars.

It is amazing how much VIII is making me look back and respect Lucas and his overall treatment of EP I-III. As shitty as Jar Jar was, and as ill placed as his idiotic slapstick humor was, at least Lucas wasn't so stupid as to attempt it in scenes concerning the emperor.

VIII pretty much makes nearly every character look like complete bumbling fools, quitters, and/or inept assholes. Even Poe gets this treatment as they make him look like a moron during his attempt at a mutiny. Really, that I can think of, only Rey and Finn are spared.

One last thing...Poe, Finn, Rey....what in the fuck is it with these stupid one syllable names? When will they introduce the next set of women/minority characters: Do, Mi, Fa, So, La, and Ti?

Last edited:

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Ben, Luke, Han....

As for the humor, they did the same thing with Han but he was able to deliver it way better.

Also when Luke meets Yoda for the first time...Yoda was kray kray, i guess they kind of tried to do the same with Luke but because we knew his backstory it just didn't fit at all.

The whole R2 & 3PO throughout...Chewie too...Star Wars has always been able to throw in humor & never took itself seriously unless the serious scenes kicked in.

I do feel the humor was little off but i think in time ill get used to it. The whole Fin thing leaky water especially bad was the only cringe part in The Last Jedi. What other humor scenes were you guys bothered by?

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Those aren't good comparisons.

The scene on the Death Star was born of desperation and it wasn't self aware. In the end, when the Imperial demanded accountability, Han just shot the panel. The Imperial officer at the other end of the conversation would have been a better commander for the First Order.

In the scene where Yoda is clowning Luke, it's not tone deaf because it's building to a bigger moment that is helping to establish both of the characters. Yoda is testing Luke's patience as a form of evaluation and qualification to become a Jedi Knight.

3P0 and R2, in the classic films, have very brief moments of levity that are born of their respective characters. 3P0's entire purpose is to provide MOMENTS of levity and to awkwardly make situations uncomfortable.

Arguing that 'there is humor in the other movies so it's okay in XIII' lacks context or understanding of what those scenes meant. In the classic films, the jokes don't overstay their welcome and they don't undermine the drama or the tension of the moment.

When 3P0 is telling Luke and Ben to leave him behind in the desert, it's absurd but brief and helps to establish the character and the situation. When Hux is being clowned by Poe for an interminable length, it's not funny. It's stupid and undermines everything that the moment is building to. It's the exact opposite of the moments you're citing in the earlier films.

So I disagree with you in every way possible as it pertains to this argument.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
It is amazing how much VIII is making me look back and respect Lucas and his overall treatment of EP I-III. As shitty as Jar Jar was, and as ill placed as his idiotic slapstick humor was, at least Lucas wasn't so stupid as to attempt it in scenes concerning the emperor.

VIII pretty much makes nearly every character look like complete bumbling fools, quitters, and/or inept assholes. Even Poe gets this treatment as they make him look like a moron during his attempt at a mutiny. Really, that I can think of, only Rey and Finn are spared.

One last thing...Poe, Finn, Rey....what in the fuck is it with these stupid one syllable names? When will they introduce the next set of women/minority characters: Do, Mi, Fa, So, La, and Ti?

I think that the entertainment value of the Emperor's exchanges with Luke are an unintended consequence of writing such a cartoonishly over the top mastermind, even by Star Wars standards. It's a testament to Richard Marquand's direction of those scenes and Ian McDiarmid's rapport with the character that give it the liveliness that it has. I won't call Palpatine a deep or nuanced character. He's a complete caricature, but unlike much of what we have seen from the films since Jedi, there is a vibrance to it that overachieves and makes it better than it has any right to be.

As for the names, I don't think the characters' one syllable names are anything to be concerned about. I hardly think it conveys a lack of creativity.

EDIT: And while I believe there is clearly a push to make Star Wars more progressive/inclusive, I think it's unfair to prejudge this solely on the issue of representation. But I also wouldn't immediately disagree that it could have been handled better here. That's all I'm going to say about this particular subject because I'm exhausted by the ongoing debate about identity politics in social media right now.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I know I'm posting too much in here and I really need to just walk away from this thread, so here's one last contribution.

Kylo Souls.jpg

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
Those aren't good comparisons.

The scene on the Death Star was born of desperation and it wasn't self aware. In the end, when the Imperial demanded accountability, Han just shot the panel. The Imperial officer at the other end of the conversation would have been a better commander for the First Order.

In the scene where Yoda is clowning Luke, it's not tone deaf because it's building to a bigger moment that is helping to establish both of the characters. Yoda is testing Luke's patience as a form of evaluation and qualification to become a Jedi Knight.

3P0 and R2, in the classic films, have very brief moments of levity that are born of their respective characters. 3P0's entire purpose is to provide MOMENTS of levity and to awkwardly make situations uncomfortable.

Arguing that 'there is humor in the other movies so it's okay in XIII' lacks context or understanding of what those scenes meant. In the classic films, the jokes don't overstay their welcome and they don't undermine the drama or the tension of the moment.

When 3P0 is telling Luke and Ben to leave him behind in the desert, it's absurd but brief and helps to establish the character and the situation. When Hux is being clowned by Poe for an interminable length, it's not funny. It's stupid and undermines everything that the moment is building to. It's the exact opposite of the moments you're citing in the earlier films.

So I disagree with you in every way possible as it pertains to this argument.

How about the bickering between Leia & Han???Laserbrain, fuzzball, walking carpet,scruffy looking nerfherder...

Too short for stormtrooper...This is some rescue...The Luke is my brother reveal...Yoda vs R2...How about 3PO being programmed bitchmode...Ewoks stealing speeder...There dying R2,cruse my metal body...

I swear star war nerds got older & got serious...

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
How about the bickering between Leia & Han???Laserbrain, fuzzball, walking carpet,scruffy looking nerfherder...

Too short for stormtrooper...This is some rescue...The Luke is my brother reveal...Yoda vs R2...How about 3PO being programmed bitchmode...Ewoks stealing speeder...There dying R2,cruse my metal body...

I swear star war nerds got older & got serious...

My next song is going to be named Cruise My Metal Body.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
I’m ok with levity in Star Wars.
It’s how much and how it’s done that’s the issue.
Subtle and brief is a good way to describe the humor in the original trilogy. Ep VIII got it wrong. It overstayed it’s welcome and was too slapstick or too over the top.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
I’m ok with levity in Star Wars.
It’s how much and how it’s done that’s the issue.
Subtle and brief is a good way to describe the humor in the original trilogy. Ep VIII got it wrong. It overstayed it’s welcome and was too slapstick or too over the top.

I almost forgot about Boba Fett accidentally getting killed by Han bit...The hole creature even burps..yup the comedy in the old star wars were subtle...

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
I almost forgot about Boba Fett accidentally getting killed by Han bit...The hole creature even burps..yup the comedy in the old star wars were subtle...

How long did that exchange go on for? 10 seconds, 15 seconds? Probably not even that long. Not nearly as long as the whole “can you hear me now”’ scene.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
How long did that exchange go on for? 10 seconds, 15 seconds? Probably not even that long. Not nearly as long as the whole “can you hear me now”’ scene.

i honestly dont remember how long the "can you hear me now" maybe the same amount as Han's "everything is fine scene" both were trying to stall for time. Actually dont even recall that much humor in Last Jedi compared to the OT.

can you hear me now
fin leaking water
Rei & the island caretakers
Rei getting hit upside the head with her lightsabre

Was there any other scenes?

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Nightmare of a film. From a technical standpoint its an erratic tonedeaf mess. Don't care that it told old Star Wars to go fuck itself, it just did so in the most terrible way possible.

I sure hope Plinkett rears his head

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member

Whoch is why rotj is considered not great. That and those teddy bears.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Whoch is why rotj is considered not great. That and those teddy bears.

RotJ was a clear example of the issues that could arise if Lucas was not being reigned in or given sufficient help. Lucas, to me, seems like a big ideas person, but when it comes to details shit goes out the window hard. I can relate to that in ways, and its not a bad thing, you just need to be able to ID your weaknesses.

RotJ has just enough good stuff to save it from a lot of criticism. It is easily the weakest of the originals. There far more bad jokes shoved in (burping sarlac included) that do not stick, but those three films have gobs of charm to keep them relevant in 2018.

The Last Jedi will be forgotten in a year, into the endless shit heap that is the Star Wars universe. These will not be timeless and revered films like the originals, just another visually stunning, but structureally nonsensical film from the big Disney machine.

At least there has not been a CGI Sir Alec Guiness yet, but fuck it we know its just a matter of time. Peter Kushing in Rogue One was a sin against man. Then again Rogue One was a terribly film that has a sole purpose of circle jerking people who go to Star Wars conventions.

Blue Milk anyone?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
RotJ was a clear example of the issues that could arise if Lucas was not being reigned in or given sufficient help. Lucas, to me, seems like a big ideas person, but when it comes to details shit goes out the window hard. I can relate to that in ways, and its not a bad thing, you just need to be able to ID your weaknesses.

RotJ has just enough good stuff to save it from a lot of criticism. It is easily the weakest of the originals. There far more bad jokes shoved in (burping sarlac included) that do not stick, but those three films have gobs of charm to keep them relevant in 2018.

The Last Jedi will be forgotten in a year, into the endless shit heap that is the Star Wars universe. These will not be timeless and revered films like the originals, just another visually stunning, but structureally nonsensical film from the big Disney machine.

At least there has not been a CGI Sir Alec Guiness yet, but fuck it we know its just a matter of time. Peter Kushing in Rogue One was a sin against man. Then again Rogue One was a terribly film that has a sole purpose of circle jerking people who go to Star Wars conventions.
where's the like button?

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member

Blue Milk anyone?

Does this mean your back full time now?