Market Rules Discussion/Feedback Thread

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Eh... I can see in cases like that Last Hope thread where it would be useful... On the other hand, it's likely to drive the people with truly rare items to eBay...

Frankly, after copying a couple of my threads from here to arcadeotaku and having them deleted, I didn't like the hard enforcement of that rule in practice (particularly with my console game sale thread, in which I had 100+ games posted and added prices over the course of two days, one system at a time)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If you have a truly rare Neo item the seller should list it on ebay and make a thread here saying what they have for sale.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Eh... why screw around with eBay and Paypal fees, when you could post it here, circumvent that, and make sure it stays in this portion of the community?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Because as much as people hate ebay they do need to realize that if they want the most exposure to potential buyers it is on ebay.

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Eh... why screw around with eBay and Paypal fees, when you could post it here, circumvent that, and make sure it stays in this portion of the community?

You can always post on eBay, share the link here and if you end up making a deal here, back out on eBay. Perhaps not the most awesome way of going about it, but it covers all bases.

I'm really all for getting a price requirement in the market. I'm tired of potentially lowballing sellers and getting no response then days later seeing someone else bought what I was after.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Not sure I agree with this all... hard-line enforcement of this rule is irksome as hell, believe me. I posted a thread on arcadeotaku, same as the one I had here, and it got deleted because I'd forgotten to price one group of SNES games.

Thankfully, I still had the thread here, otherwise I would've had to go back and look up the pricing for all the other games.

Also, as per what Ookitarepanda and Bobak were discussing, maybe a better change would be to have been a member for a month (or longer) AND have 100+ posts.

I'm seeing people who've been here since 2008 or 2009 in that section, with a negligible post count, who clearly contribute nothing. As Bobak said, this isnt' the target demographic.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Not sure I agree with this all... hard-line enforcement of this rule is irksome as hell, believe me. I posted a thread on arcadeotaku, same as the one I had here, and it got deleted because I'd forgotten to price one group of SNES games.

Thankfully, I still had the thread here, otherwise I would've had to go back and look up the pricing for all the other games.

Someone didn't bother to read the sales rules then. :make_fac:

edit: wasn't me either. I always ask them to provide prices.

Last edited:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
I actually love the way AO handles their market section.

I wish I could implement those rules here.

Far less trash and bullshit.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member

If you love the AO market section rules so much why don't you marry them?

TonK

Least Valuable Player
If you love the AO market section rules so much why don't you marry them?

I heard you wax your pubic hair, then strip down naked and look at yourself in the mirror, erect.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
^this thread started providing a lot of good mental images, real fast.

Someone didn't bother to read the sales rules then. :make_fac:

edit: wasn't me either. I always ask them to provide prices.
I did read the sales rules in their entirety. Apparently you can't even bother to read an entire post - I said in my previous one I forgot to include pricing for some SNES games. Not "deliberately didn't post" but "forgot." I thought we had problems with a poor grasp of the English language in this country. sheesh. :rolleyes:

I suppose that's a good point - the market over there is a lot cleaner in general than here. A little more frustrating as a seller if you make a mistake, but maybe a fair trade off, in fact. Plus, I can't imagine the mods being as swift with thread deletion here as they are there, which would be nice. Yeah, when ya put it that way, it'd probably be a good move for the site.

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
It was abit harsh about your thread on AO mmsadda, I don't think it ment to get completely wiped though.... :scratch:

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Oh, yeah, you're right. I'd forgotten about that - the whole thing was deleted instead of one portion as a mistake.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
mmsadda said:
I suppose that's a good point - the market over there is a lot cleaner in general than here.

Don't you mean 'the whole forum'

This place blows compared to AO. No contest.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
On killercabs they gave you a warning to put prices or they would delete it and wait for you to at least respond, then if no compliance they would delete your thread.

I'm not saying delete the thread outright but give the seller ample time to add the prices. In the Neoflo case he just flat out didn't want to put a price down.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
The mod rules on AO refer to this. Seller is given a chance to set it right and if they haven't in a couple days it just gets locked or deleted.

I'm sure it was an honest mistake on mmsaddas and whoever deleted it's sake. Its usually only the really dumb people who we have problems with not understanding stuff. :)

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
Why does FTL always get to have multiple sales threads? Nobody else does.

Heath

, cheyne stoking
Why does it make a difference if you put a price or not????

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Don't you mean 'the whole forum'

This place blows compared to AO. No contest.
Eh... if people on AO posted as actively as people here, I'd like it better than I do. Usually I go on there every morning, and am like "well, looks like two threads in general discussion got new posts in the past day. exciting..."

That place is nice, don't get me wrong, but I dont' understand how a board can have that many members and yet have so few actual posts on a day-to-day basis.

The mod rules on AO refer to this. Seller is given a chance to set it right and if they haven't in a couple days it just gets locked or deleted.

I'm sure it was an honest mistake on mmsaddas and whoever deleted it's sake. Its usually only the really dumb people who we have problems with not understanding stuff. :)
yeeeeah , I never got a warning PM.

Why does it make a difference if you put a price or not????
Because people are all butthurt over the fact that one tool came on here and posted Last Hope AES for sale and wouldn't name a price.

jonny5

Cham Cham's Banana
could have been anybody...they have like a basketball team of mods....kern plays power forward ...lol...it was probably devil soundwave....hes been overzealous deleting peoples threads before

dunno what you mean about the posts.....they get tons every day in pretty much all subforums.....the only subforums that get steady activity here is the unrelated and detroit....everything else is pretty dead for the most part.....

personally i think market places like on AO and shmups are more controlled and 'clean'....not to disparage whats done here.....personally i feel a lot safer dealing on those forums than here.....plus the rule enforcement here seems to be fairly lax on some things and strict about other less consequential stuff

i think i t was bobak who said 'this is a social forum first and foremost.....the rest is peripheral'

i use it as such