Market Forum- can't buy anything good

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Does anyone see the main problem with the Market forum- the things are cheaper because you don't pay eBay fees and shipping, but to buy something, you have to be looking at the forums about the same time that it comes up. If anything good is listed at a reasonable price, it sells quickly (partly because the people are serious buyers that know what they're looking at, and what it's worth). At least with eBay, things are usually listed as "auctions", so you have 7-10 days to catch on to the fact that something has been listed, or you can have them message you when something you're looking for comes up. Other message boards (that also have selling forums) are just as bad. Can't see any possible solution to this problem.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
More people are buying things, it's just the nature of the second hand market.

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
There are bots that can perform said function. I have one following Panda right now waiting for scoops.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Does anyone see the main problem with the Market forum- the things are cheaper because you don't pay eBay fees and shipping, but to buy something, you have to be looking at the forums about the same time that it comes up. If anything good is listed at a reasonable price, it sells quickly (partly because the people are serious buyers that know what they're looking at, and what it's worth). At least with eBay, things are usually listed as "auctions", so you have 7-10 days to catch on to the fact that something has been listed, or you can have them message you when something you're looking for comes up. Other message boards (that also have selling forums) are just as bad. Can't see any possible solution to this problem.

The thing is that ng.com isn't first and foremost a marketplace but a community hangout. If you check the forums at least twice a day like most contributors, there should be no problem with items that move very quickly. The comparison to ebay is a bit off because they are auctions, not selling threads, and I guess you know that it can be very difficult to get something from the bay even if the auction runs for several days or weeks thanks to the guys with their sniping apps which IMO should be banned on all platforms, they're annoying as fuck in my opinion.

In other words, I don't see a real problem here. Be present, be quick and make your moves, then you will score good deals.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I think it's just first in best dressed really... I am really not surprised that things sell quickly here because of said prices. They are low, bargains even and due to the reduced hassle of the transactions here compared to eBay they disappear quick. Just the nature of the territory I think.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
The thing is that ng.com isn't first and foremost a marketplace but a community hangout. If you check the forums at least twice a day like most contributors, there should be no problem with items that move very quickly. The comparison to ebay is a bit off because they are auctions, not selling threads, and I guess you know that it can be very difficult to get something from the bay even if the auction runs for several days or weeks thanks to the guys with their sniping apps which IMO should be banned on all platforms, they're annoying as fuck in my opinion.

In other words, I don't see a real problem here. Be present, be quick and make your moves, then you will score good deals.
Ebay auctions are not like real auctions. They are like a sealed-bid auction, where all the bids are only known right at the end. So, as they are, it's actually better for all bidders to place their (maximum) bid right in last few seconds. That way the final price stays at a minimum. Early bids just raise the price for everyone, but how can you try to stop people doing that, when eBay does everything they can to promote early bidding (as it increases the money they make from each auction). The only problem is, not everyone can be there at the end. But there are ways around this, like having ipad with you at all times, and using that to make a bid at the end.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Ebay auctions are not like real auctions. They are like a sealed-bid auction, where all the bids are only known right at the end. So, as they are, it's actually better for all bidders to bid right in last few seconds. That way the price stays at minimum. Early bids just raise the price for everyone, but how can you try to stop people doing that, when eBay does everything they can to encourage people to bid early. The only problem is, not everyone can be there at the end. But there are ways around this, like having ipad with you at all times, and using that to make a bid at the end.

When I find something interesting on ebay, I place a bid with an amount that I find decent for the item in question and see how it turns out, I don't go back to the auction and increase my bid. If I made it, I made it, and if not, well, better luck next time. With this style of bidding, it's also irrelevant whether you are present or not when an auction ends.

I also beg to differ on your opinion that bidding in the last seconds keeps prices low, I've seen some crazy price hype shit going on with ebay auctions that had a decent price a minute before the end and then it went up tenfold or more. Again, this mostly is due to automated bidding via programs/apps.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
When I find something interesting on ebay, I place a bid with an amount that I find decent for the item in question and see how it turns out, I don't go back to the auction and increase my bid. If I made it, I made it, and if not, well, better luck next time. With this style of bidding, it's also irrelevant whether you are present or not when an auction ends.
That's one way of doing it. You can just place the minimum (starting) bid, and see how it goes. Depends how much you want the item. If it wins, it wins. If it doesn't, it doesn't. Often nobody will raise your initial bid.

I also beg to differ on your opinion that bidding in the last seconds keeps prices low, I've seen some crazy price hype shit going on with ebay auctions that had a decent price a minute before the end and then it went up tenfold or more. Again, this mostly is due to automated bidding via programs/apps.
It has to be in the last 5, or maybe 4 seconds. Even if it's in the last minute, there is time for the preset bids to automatically bid against each other, to the maximum of the bids. For some reason, if it's 4 seconds before, there isn't time for the automated system to do many bids. You'd think they'd be virtually simultaneous bids, but apparently not.
If you try to do it with less than 4 or 5 seconds to spare, the lag time involved in placing a bid might mean you miss out.

Last edited:

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
Panda has a third party application that alerts him whenever the word Pulstar is posted

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
It's how the vintage game market is, not just Neo. You have to be extremely patient and have great stalking abilities to get the games you want. There are certain games that everyone wants. We all know what these titles are. Therefore, when they are available for sale on the forum, they get snatched up within minutes. This causes collectors to keep (horde) their games, making the available supply smaller, increasing prices.

Then there's Ebay. More available games for sale but there's more price gouging. This is where being patient comes in. Similar to what Takumaji said, you have to be firm on what you are willing to pay for a game and stick with it. You will go broke quickly if you're not disciplined enough to pick and choose your purchases. Just like the forums, great deals disappear quickly. Stalking the shit outta Ebay is the only way to get those great deals.

Vintage video gaming is subject to the rules of supply and demand just like any other market. The good, honest traders of the Neo community have kept prices reasonable "within the family", but even here the prices are creeping up. Even though the market is definitely tighter now, your patience will pay off if you play your cards right.

Last edited:

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
Ebay auctions are not like real auctions. They are like a sealed-bid auction, where all the bids are only known right at the end. So, as they are, it's actually better for all bidders to bid right in last few seconds. That way the final price stays at a minimum. Early bids just raise the price for everyone, but how can you try to stop people doing that, when eBay does everything they can to promote early bidding (as it increases the money they make from each auction). The only problem is, not everyone can be there at the end. But there are ways around this, like having ipad with you at all times, and using that to make a bid at the end.

I use a bid sniping service to schedule my max bid in the last three seconds.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Auctions on eBay? Yeah right. Errythang on feebay is all buy it now anymore. Is no different than buying things here anymore. 'cept for the fact you can finish a buy on feebay a lot quicker than you can here. If you want it cheap you've gotta be patient. If you can't wait and search, you're gonna need to pay the $$$. It's as simple as that.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
yeah that was a good deal.

OP's idea is extremely stupid. This market is perfect the way it is. I think we should enforce a stronger ban method. 200 posts before market access, ship first if you have less than 10 feedback, ban if you are a price jacker or fuck up.

Last edited:

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
There are a lot of good deals that come up here in the market. I think that we have more players than collectors so items keep circulating through the community. I also believe that the collector market is due to take a huge hit in the not too distant future.

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I also believe that the collector market is due to take a huge hit in the not too distant future.

We can hope.

Sure, you have to be fast on your scoops here, but ideally people keep stuff in the community. Any games I bought here that I no longer own were sold here for the same price I paid to give someone else the opportunity to enjoy them.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I haven't been here much but this place is awesome. As a noob, I like this group of tight knit community looking out for each other. While I still have to be on the look out for scammers, I can still count on some of these guys to sniff em out and call them out. Heck, even if there is an item that might be over priced the seller is always called out on it. So far in my time dealing here I have had quite a pleasant experience with the market place.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
We can hope.

Sure, you have to be fast on your scoops here, but ideally people keep stuff in the community. Any games I bought here that I no longer own were sold here for the same price I paid to give someone else the opportunity to enjoy them.

I think the retro gaming scene is still climbing with no signs of slowing down anytime soon and will most likely get worse for a long time. I chose a really bad time to get into this but at least it's not the worst time.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
tacoguy, doble posting is not the way to go. Collect your thoughts on one solid post, you'll have a smother ride that way.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member

I wish everyone did what I do. Just bid your max at the end and may the highest bid win. It makes it blind bidding based on what you want to pay instead of trying to outbid the number on the screen.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Ebay is always a pissing contest, not a true value of what things are especially when you consider 15% is fees.

What I find more funny is someone selling something on here for feebay price, not even taking out the 15% (which isn't doing the buyer any favors, but a good point to start) and thinking everything is kosher.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
There are some great deals on here and they do go fast. Same with other non-video game forums I'm on. I think most people are more comfortable buying from people they "know" via a forum as opposed to some reseller knob on EBay who takes shitty photos with the shitty camera on their flip phone. The marketplace here is also a great place if you're looking for a deal on a used sex doll. So there's that too.

Every marketplace is half luck, half tenacity.

Looking at this forum as a lurker, this looks like much more of a community than a troll-ridden buy-sell bullshit den. Every forum has cliques and politics, but, as long as you keep the riff-raff out the rest works.

I wish there was a viable replacement to eBay. The more they try to compete and align with amazon, the more fucked up it gets. You can still snag deals on there, but, it's a buyers marketplace. You get stuffed if you're a seller.