Mario Kart DS and Wifi Connection

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
It's pretty tempting. I'm usually more of a realistic racer fan, but if the online's free, and works well I might pick it up.

Soniku

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Yeah, this'll definitely be one of the mail reasons to own a DS, and I'll have it on launch myself, I'm a little disappointed though... What I was hoping wouldn't happen with it is exactly what did. Below is a response to an e-mail sent by some dude to IGN asking how people were already playing Mario Kart DS online:

Cat's out of the bag now, Dac. Favorite staffers: check.

I've been playing around on Mario Kart DS since this weekend with very few problems. I noticed on the message boards that you snoopy-snoops have been peeking around Nintendo's Wi-Fi website, and yes, my name (CraigIGN) appears showing that I'm blasting through the races against the world. Or at least, the world that's currently connected and having a copy of Mario Kart DS.

The problem with Mario Kart is that the online portion is extremely limited. The only way you'll be able to connect with me on a regular basis, outside of randomly connecting to me via "Worldwide Mode" is if you have my 12 digit Friend Code, and I have yours. If you have mine, you still won't be able to connect to me as a friend since I don't have yours. Knowing someone's online name isn't enough. Nintendo's system also forces the group of up to four players -- people can't choose who to play, or even enable a simple two or three player challenge. And even in random Worldwide match-ups, if I enjoyed racing against someone, I have no way of adding that person to my list of friends. There's no way of chatting with that person or finding out his email address to get that information after the fact, either.

Get Mario Kart DS because it's the best freakin' kart racer ever, with an incredible focus on single player and local multiplayer. Don't get it solely for its online component because you'll end up wanting way more than what's offered here.

-- Craig

So basically the online-play interface is SvC: Chaos and one of the KoF's all over again... At least Animal Crossing should be alright.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Wait what?

You cant invite 2 or 3 people and have a 4 way friend only race?

What the hell.

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
Nesagwa said:
Wait what?

You cant invite 2 or 3 people and have a 4 way friend only race?

What the hell.
I think it means you have to have 4 to race. Not 2 or 3.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Those online multiplayer "restrictions" sound kind of pointless and lame.

Almost like the online feature was added as a second thought and not as its primary reason for being developed.

Was going to wait for AC to come along before I took my DS online, but I'll wait for more information to become available on this Mario Kart situation to see if it's worth picking up for its online features or not.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Is Nintendo releasing the USB Wireless adapter in the US? Is it even out in Japan yet?

It seems like the match making system is kinda sucky, but as long as we all have each others player codes, we should be able to get some rocking matches going on.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
Everything I have read about Mario Kart for the DS makes it sound like the on-line portion of this game is a little wierd.

However, it does offer a single cart/eight player mode (off-line) and from what I have read the off-line game is a blast. So, really if the on-line portion doesn't end up being that great the first time around, it won't be a big deal to me.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
Well I'll be getting mine bitch.

I'll see you on the WiFi and get royally trounced by everyone. Remember to post your friend codes everyone.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
Lagduf said:
Is Nintendo releasing the USB Wireless adapter in the US? Is it even out in Japan yet?

It seems like the match making system is kinda sucky, but as long as we all have each others player codes, we should be able to get some rocking matches going on.

The connector that plugs into your PC via Win XP is available on the 23rd of November when Animal Crossing DS is released (Japan).

I just reserved 2 copies of Mario Kart DS.

Soniku

The requirement for there being a minimum and maximum of 4 people in a race seems to be what IGN guy is getting at...

As far as playing online being weird, I did hear about some strange restrictions in order to reduce lag where you're not allowed to drop a banana peel behind your cart or something... :/

And the Wifi adapter is only going to be sold via Nintendo's offcial website, at least in America until Metroid Prime gets released, then they'll consider selling it in stores for some reason.

The Wifi adapter looks pretty cool at least, it has software that allows you to regulate who connects and has a range of about 35 feet through all and shit.

I think Nintendo just hates the internet and good ideas.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Soniku17 said:
The requirement for there being a minimum and maximum of 4 people in a race seems to be what IGN guy is getting at...

As far as playing online being weird, I did hear about some strange restrictions in order to reduce lag where you're not allowed to drop a banana peel behind your cart or something... :/

And the Wifi adapter is only going to be sold via Nintendo's offcial website, at least in America until Metroid Prime gets released, then they'll consider selling it in stores for some reason.

The Wifi adapter looks pretty cool at least, it has software that allows you to regulate who connects and has a range of about 35 feet through all and shit.

I was really hoping this wi-fi adapter would be coming out soon, seeing as how I don't have wireless at my place. And I sure as hell don't want to walk over to my college or hang out by one of the food establishments that offers free wifi :(

Soniku

Lagduf said:
I was really hoping this wi-fi adapter would be coming out soon, seeing as how I don't have wireless at my place. And I sure as hell don't want to walk over to my college or hang out by one of the food establishments that offers free wifi :(
Yeah, same here, I'm not much of a fan of wifi and would rather not have to buy a wireless router... I'm not sure exactly when the USB adapters will be sold, but I think you'll be able to order them off of Nintendo's website the day Mario Kart is released. So, if that's how it works, then if you can deal with waiting for shipping, go for it... I think I'm going to just get a router. :(

Then again, I was able to pick up a decent wifi signal from my neighbors with my friend's PSP, maybe I can just leech off of that until I get the adapter. :D

Kristoff

Another Striker
I've always been into Mario Kart, but not huge or anything. The DS version looked fun and I figured I'd get around to playing it eventually... but then I started reading into the Wi-Fi stuff. Even if it is limited and feels like your just being processed (take all players, grab them by the four, put them together, and send them off) it still sounds like fun.

And it's a new innovation for gaming, which I can't stand not being able to check out.

The idea of being able to kill an hour between classes at the university sounds absolutely perfect.

And we'll still be able to establish a "Friends List" online by listing our given names/numbers.

For anyone considering buying the Nintendo USB adapter, seriously look into buying a standard Wireless Router. It will do all of the same things as the Nintendo one, plus allow you to do much more in the way of networking. You can get a really decent one for only a bit more. Personally, I'm going to pick up the Linksys (WRT54G) that's on sale at Circuit City. Awesome router, totally compatible with the DS (even listed specifically on the Nintendo Compatablity List) and you can even flash the bios on it to get it to do some really interesting stuff.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I don't even have BB, so it looks like I'll be chillin at McDs, coffee shops, and an hour between classes to do this. I'm gonna rent MK from gamefly and see how it turns out. Even if you can race specific people, I won't care because I'll only be online sporadically.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Soniku17 said:

Yeah you cant drag items behind you in online mode. So no more shell blocking with a banana peel.

No big deal really, just watch your ass.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
It's hard to imagine that dragging a banana peel behind you would create a lot more lag. :conf:

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
Nesagwa said:
Yeah you cant drag items behind you in online mode. So no more shell blocking with a banana peel.

No big deal really, just watch your ass.
When playing with you that's rule #1 :emb:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Kristoff said:
I've always been into Mario Kart, but not huge or anything. The DS version looked fun and I figured I'd get around to playing it eventually... but then I started reading into the Wi-Fi stuff. Even if it is limited and feels like your just being processed (take all players, grab them by the four, put them together, and send them off) it still sounds like fun.

And it's a new innovation for gaming, which I can't stand not being able to check out.

The idea of being able to kill an hour between classes at the university sounds absolutely perfect.

And we'll still be able to establish a "Friends List" online by listing our given names/numbers.

For anyone considering buying the Nintendo USB adapter, seriously look into buying a standard Wireless Router. It will do all of the same things as the Nintendo one, plus allow you to do much more in the way of networking. You can get a really decent one for only a bit more. Personally, I'm going to pick up the Linksys (WRT54G) that's on sale at Circuit City. Awesome router, totally compatible with the DS (even listed specifically on the Nintendo Compatablity List) and you can even flash the bios on it to get it to do some really interesting stuff.

I'd love to go wireless, but I can't afford it at the moment. The beauty of the Nintendo USB wi-fi adapter is that I could pocket it and take it over to any of my friends houses who do have winxp computers with broadband internet connections. With the usb adapter i'll gain an even greater amount of portability - even if i will be restricted to being near a PC.

Soniku

Weevus said:
It's hard to imagine that dragging a banana peel behind you would create a lot more lag. :conf:
Yeah, I don't quite get that either... I can't even see it has a programming limitation, just a bs loss of a gameplay mechanic. ><

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Soniku17 said:
Yeah, I don't quite get that either... I can't even see it has a programming limitation, just a bs loss of a gameplay mechanic. ><

true - but it adds size to the data structure that would be passed around , over wifi

strange though its only a few bytes more per packet

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
I just bought a wireless router off ebay for this, just waiting for the game now.

Ill be seeing you all online you bunch of bitches. :)

Soniku

kernow said:
true - but it adds size to the data structure that would be passed around , over wifi

strange though its only a few bytes more per packet
Yeah, considering everything else that works well on broadband (well usually anyway), I don't see why this should have any limitations... I'm sure there are many games that take up far more bandwidth... Although Mario Kart isn't like WoW or something else slow-paced where lag isn't as baneful, even-so, it all sounds like the programmers got lazy towards the end. I'm not really disappointed though, but not being able to shoot shit from behind could make the strategy factor detract quite a bit.