Mario Beach Volleyball

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
Actually it's called Beach Volley Folley.

Although it seems like I'm the only one who bought Mario Party 4 on neo-geo.com just thought I'd like to share it.

If you beat the game in Story mode and go to the Extra Mini-Games room Ztar the Black Star will have Beach Volley Folley.

It appears there are two modes Battle and Free Play. Free Play is still locked for me, I'm guessing it'll unlock after I beat Battle. In Battle Mode you have to beat 6 teams of progressivly hard players. Highest I got was match 5 against Boo and Shy Guy and they pretty much owned me.

But...

First off it's more complex than the standard mini-games in Mario Party 4. It's damn near it's own game. While good, it definately lacks the smoothness and spark of Mario Tennis. Still, it's well done. Simple 2 button controls, 1 button to jump one to 'hit'. Where the ball is going will be marked with a star on the ground. Stand on the star and hit "A" as it comes down to bump it, after that if the other player stands on the star they can set it to you also with "A" (they can also just spike it from there or wait until thier character drops thier hands to just hit it over the net) you then go to the star, jump and hit A.

Now, you aim in the middle of the air, which is cool because you can really place the ball. Even though the other team can see where it's going they can't always get to it. However, if you aim too much you won't hit the ball. So happy medium.

Also, three best tips I can give you:

1) After about 10 games, you'll notice you're much better than your partner even if they're set to "Hard"...amazingly they're not as good as the opponents, so because of that, try to get the first bump in so you can finish with a spike. It's easier than trying to spike off of a bump.

2) Don't try to force your guy to dive. It won't happen. If he dives he dives (Ivan Drago). If not just try to make it into the star before you start hitting "A" otherwise you'll just stop dead.

3) Blocking is huge but sometimes playing it safe is better. For the best block, try to position yourself so you're between the spiking character and thier target. Get it right and you'll probably have points (unless you're on level 5 or 6, in which they're quick enough to return it).

Anyways, it's pretty cool. Again, not on the calibre of Mario Tennis or Mario Golf...it's just not THAT much fun, but it's probably my favorite 'mini' game in the game.

Mostly telling yunz because the last Bowser Battle in Story mode is a little boring AND annoying. I didn't beat it for like 4 days because I just didn't care.

The reward is well worth it, now if you'll excuse me I need to unlock Free Play mode so we can have mad 4-player Volley Ball.

mog

Bead Banger
DOA + Volleyball = WIN
Anything Else + Volleyball = Lose

Ducky

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Originally posted by mog:
<strong>DOA + Volleyball = WIN
Anything Else + Volleyball = Lose</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think you forgot about this one..

AM2 + Volleyball = Ownz your ass for life, bitch.

:)

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
I'm gonna wait to play DOA before I think it's better than anything. Tecmo does make good games, but any game with a Beauty Pagent in it doesn't automatically win any prizes with me.

DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO BE THE PRETTIEST!?!?!!!

I do dig wierd games so it will get a play or a dozen from me. But these people who are so excited because of tits in a game are just sad.

If it's a good game it's a good game. It worries me though when a Tecmo rep refers to a game as 'very sexy' as if that was a selling point over 'very fun'.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Originally posted by Ducky:
<strong>

I think you forgot about this one..

AM2 + Volleyball = Ownz your ass for life, bitch.

:) </strong><hr></blockquote>

not that i m not planning on buying doa volleyball.
but beachspikers is so much the shit.
i doubt there would ever be a volleyball game this
fun. its a shame this is going to be one that falls
beneath the cracks. because it so deserves more
attention than it has gotten.

[ October 27, 2002: Message edited by: rarehero ]</p>

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
...it just keeps getting better.

It's not as awkward as it once was, I'm spiking off of blocks, picking my spots, it's bad as hell.

Probably the dirtiest thing EVER is that I think I have to beat it in Battle Mode before I can have 4 player volleyball action and as is the CPU is the weak link on the team.

I either get beat by Boo and ShyGuy or I just squeak past them to get my ass handed to me by Bowser and a Koopa Kid.

This game alone has shot up MP4 in my opinion a lot.

sajesak

Volleyball Archeologist
Actually it's called Beach Volley Folley.

Although it seems like I'm the only one who bought Mario Party 4 on neo-geo.com just thought I'd like to share it.

If you beat the game in Story mode and go to the Extra Mini-Games room Ztar the Black Star will have Beach Volley Folley.

It appears there are two modes Battle and Free Play. Free Play is still locked for me, I'm guessing it'll unlock after I beat Battle. In Battle Mode you have to beat 6 teams of progressivly hard players. Highest I got was match 5 against Boo and Shy Guy and they pretty much owned me.

But...

First off it's more complex than the standard mini-games in Mario Party 4. It's damn near it's own game. While good, it definately lacks the smoothness and spark of Mario Tennis. Still, it's well done. Simple 2 button controls, 1 button to jump one to 'hit'. Where the ball is going will be marked with a star on the ground. Stand on the star and hit "A" as it comes down to bump it, after that if the other player stands on the star they can set it to you also with "A" (they can also just spike it from there or wait until thier character drops thier hands to just hit it over the net) you then go to the star, jump and hit A.

Now, you aim in the middle of the air, which is cool because you can really place the ball. Even though the other team can see where it's going they can't always get to it. However, if you aim too much you won't hit the ball. So happy medium.

Also, three best tips I can give you:

1) After about 10 games, you'll notice you're much better than your partner even if they're set to "Hard"...amazingly they're not as good as the opponents, so because of that, try to get the first bump in so you can finish with a spike. It's easier than trying to spike off of a bump.

2) Don't try to force your guy to dive. It won't happen DS in volleyball. If he dives he dives (Ivan Drago). If not just try to make it into the star before you start hitting "A" otherwise you'll just stop dead.

3) Blocking is huge but sometimes playing it safe is better. For the best block, try to position yourself so you're between the spiking character and thier target. Get it right and you'll probably have points (unless you're on level 5 or 6, in which they're quick enough to return it).

Anyways, it's pretty cool. Again, not on the calibre of Mario Tennis or Mario Golf...it's just not THAT much fun, but it's probably my favorite 'mini' game in the game.

Mostly telling yunz because the last Bowser Battle in Story mode is a little boring AND annoying. I didn't beat it for like 4 days because I just didn't care.

The reward is well worth it, now if you'll excuse me I need to unlock Free Play mode so we can have mad 4-player Volley Ball.
I have noticed that on various websites if you "complete the Story Mode with any character you will unlock Beach Volleyball" I have completed the Story Mode with Waluigi under normal difficulty and played every game in the Extra Room but I still get the "?????" there where I imagine Beach Volleyball would go. Can anybody help me out? Thanx

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I feel like reading the original post and the random bumper post rewired my brain and gave me Adult-onset Autism.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I absolutely love Mario Party 4, some of the best mini-games in the series and the party boards are all pretty decent, also love the side games.

Beach Volleyball is also in Mario Party 5.

Also, according to gamefaqs, the unlock requirement for Beach Volley Folly is playing all the mini games in the Extra Room.