Making a murderer (Netflix)

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yes. I finished it this weekend. The funny thing is my GF and I were completely split on the outcomes of everything. The story is more interesting than the ending.

I also developed and still develop the only instruments the DNA tests are performed on. I think I've said this before, but we used to track how many people were exonerated due to DNA evidence. The company stopped counting after several hundred people. I'm not so much on the forensic side anymore as it's fairly antiquated techniques.

I had to sit on a jury last year, and it was the most disheartening experience. The court is simply theatre where the lawyers tell stories to convince the jury. There's no facts. It's polar opposites with the truth somewhere in the middle. If I'm ever guilty, I'm asking for a jury because I have a chance. If I'm innocent, I want arbitration.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
How could they have missed the SUV key????? I mean how is that possible????

And that 16yr old kid, dumb as dumb can be, he woulda confessed to killing Jews in WW2 if those detectives wanted him to.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
We binged it a few days after it came out. Holy shit, absolutely NOTHING goes on in Wisconsin.

It looks like Avery got a raw deal the 2nd time around, as it looked like the entire Sheriff's dept. was gunning for him.

I can't stand that fucking dope of a cousin.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Waseem should get his own Netflix doc series.

Earthquake24

Dodgeball Yakuza
I saw it. Keep in mind it is very one sided since the producers spent a great deal of time with Avery's family. It's supposed to draw you in the way it's presented. I would like to see one done with both sides getting the opportunity to present their sides and then draw conclusions. Guilty or not, Avery is a scumbag for dousing a cat and setting it on fire.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I was most surprised by the Judges. I'd rather have a computer making decisions than those people.

Last edited:

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
I don't think Avery is the nice guy that the documentary portrays but that sheriff's department is corrupt as fuck.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Not reading the above comments as I know there will be spoilers, which is fine, it's completely been released so there shouldn't be any holding back.

We're going to start it this weekend, definitely, I'm hearing very good things about this series.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Unfamiliar with the case, I watched the first 3 episodes. I got too emotionally involved and couldn't handle the suspense of watching 7 more eps without Googling the outcome.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Pretty popular stuff for attorneys I guess.

Personally I don't care for the subject matter of murderers.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I think it's entirely possible that Avery did it and was framed as well. Neither side's version of events make sense but surely there was enough reasonable doubt for him to be acquitted. The Brendan kid, OTOH, was railroaded all the way into prison. I mean, his own lawyer fucked him so bad before the trial. Possibly the most egregious miscarriage of justice I have ever seen. No wonder so many people take plea deals. The series was compelling viewing and really disheartening regarding the state of criminal justice in America. The key takeaway is never trust the police, never talk to the police, never cooperate with the police without being legally required to do so and competent representation. The last part is actually much harder to achieve than you would think. Skilled lawyers are few and far between, not to mention expensive, particularly in small-town USA. All joking aside, we have a former member of this site rotting in prison under questionable circumstances. It's easy to dismiss this type of stuff as rare anomalies that could never affect us personally but I don't think that's the case at all.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I think it's entirely possible that Avery did it and was framed as well. Neither side's version of events make sense but surely there was enough reasonable doubt for him to be acquitted. The Brendan kid, OTOH, was railroaded all the way into prison. I mean, his own lawyer fucked him so bad before the trial. Possibly the most egregious miscarriage of justice I have ever seen. No wonder so many people take plea deals. The series was compelling viewing and really disheartening regarding the state of criminal justice in America. The key takeaway is never trust the police, never talk to the police, never cooperate with the police without being legally required to do so and competent representation. The last part is actually much harder to achieve than you would think. Skilled lawyers are few and far between, not to mention expensive, particularly in small-town USA. All joking aside, we have a former member of this site rotting in prison under questionable circumstances. It's easy to dismiss this type of stuff as rare anomalies that could never affect us personally but I don't think that's the case at all.

thats pretty much where i stand with this.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
The biggest scumbag of the entire documentary is probably the kids second lawyer, I hope he doesn't have a license anymore.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I watched the entire thing the day after boxing day with a hangover. It was so compelling I couldn't stop until I'd finished it. There are so many unanswered questions, I really don't know what to believe regarding Avery. The kid, however, I felt so sorry for. It's pretty clear he had no idea what he was talking about. That line about Wrestlemania... Jesus!

NeoSneth

20 Year Member

Yeah, this is the scary truth. We hear "reasonable doubt", but jurys are made up of average "C" minds. The truth is people go to jail for circumstantial evidence all the damn time.

The police are overworked and rushed. At the same time, they are not trying to find innocent people.
I've referenced this video before, but it's a must see for any adult living in the USA.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
The Serial podcast left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm not a fan of these types of documentaries. I think Adnan killed Hae Lee, so it's not a stretch that I'd probably still think Avery killed that photographer too. I feel these things are more harmful than helpful.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I say.... we should ask them make a second series....

Bibs needs to be fr33....

xROTx

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'm not convinced that Waseem is innocent.
But i'm convinced that he should be a free man.

Earthquake24

Dodgeball Yakuza
There are a handful of key facts that aren't mentioned on the show.

The show is basically one-sided garbage. I hate to say it, but that's what it is.

Avery damn well did it.

This is a timeline of his younger years until now:
http://gazettereview.com/2015/12/happened-steven-avery-making-murderer-update/

Steven Avery's Early Crimes & False Conviction

Steven Avery was born in Manitowoc County, Wisconsin, in 1962. Not much is known about his early life except his criminal convictions. In 1980, Avery was sentenced to 10 months in prison for burglary of a nearby bar. Two years later, when he was 20, Avery pleaded guilty to animal cruelty after brutally killing his own cat.

In 1985, Avery was charged with assault and for possession of a firearm as a felon, and for a separate event, sexual assault, and attempted rape. Despite 16 alibi witnesses, the jury convicted Avery for the sexual assault based on the victim's eyewitness account and his history of criminal activity. He was sentenced to 32 years in prison.

A petition for DNA testing was granted in 1995, and revealed evidence of an unknown person. However, Avery's motion for a new trial was denied, as the new DNA evidence did not itself clear him. In 2002, as part of normal operations, the Wisconsin Innocence Project requested DNA testing of further evidence. The Wisconsin Innocence Project is a non-profit which works to exonerate wrongly convicted people in the state of Wisconsin, so far freeing over 300 people.

Their work linked Gregory Allen to the case, a convicted felon who looked strikingly like Avery. At that point, Allen was already serving a 60-year term for a sexual assault in Green Bay which occurred after the 1985 crime Avery was serving a sentence for.

Exoneration and Halbach Murder Details

In 2003, the Wisconsin Innocence Project, along with the Manitowoc County District Attorney, petitioned and received a dismissal of the charges against Steven Avery, and he was released. Over the next few years, the Innocence Project was able to use Avery's case to spearhead a reform in how Wisconsin approaches eyewitness testimony. By 2005, the Wisconsin Department of Justice adopted a new witness identification protocol. Also that year, Avery filed suit against Manitowoc County, as well as the sheriff and district attorney who had been serving during his wrongful conviction.

The same day that state legislators were passing what was then called the Avery Bill, in an attempt to prevent wrongful convictions, Teresa Halbach went missing. Halbach, a photographer for Auto Trader Magazine, was scheduled to meet with Avery at his family's business, Avery Auto Salvage. On October 31st, 2005, Teresa Halbach disappeared.

Two weeks later, Steven Avery was charged with her murder. Immediately, Avery accused the authorities of attempting to discredit him before his pending civil case against Manitowoc County. With that in mind, the Manitowoc district attorney transferred the investigation to neighboring Calumet County. In March of 2006, Avery's nephew Brendan Dassey pleaded guilty to being a party to first-degree homicide, mutilation of a corpse, and sexual assault, in relation to Halbach's disappearance. It's worth noting that his attorneys have since asked for another trial because of suspected rights violations.

A lot of people who haven't seen the whole documentary have been asking online "did steven avery go to jail for the Teresa Halbach murder?" In fact in 2007, Avery was found guilty of murdering Teresa Halbach, as well as possession of a firearm as a felon. On June 1st, he was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole, with a concurrent ten years for the felonious possession. In 2011, a request for a new trial was denied.

Media Coverage of Steven Avery Case

Before the Netflix documentary, there was a Radiolab episode titled Are You Sure? Aired for the first time on March 26th, 2013, one segment of Are You Sure? followed the events of Steven Avery's life from the perspective of the woman he was falsely convicted for sexually assaulting back in 1985.

In November of 2015, Netflix announced Making a Murderer. Filmed by Columbia University graduates, the press release said the documentary would examines allegations of police and prosecutorial misconduct, evidence tampering and witness coercion. The documentary mostly focuses on the Halbach murder case, especially around the procedures the Manitowoc County sheriff's department used in gathering evidence against Avery.

Steven Avery Now 2016 Update

Making a Murderer released on Netflix on December 18th, with the first episode also hosted by YouTube. While critical response for the show has been overwhelmingly positive, those more closely connected with the case have not had the same reaction. The district attorney who led the prosecution against Avery in the murder trial claimed the documentary didn't ask for his side of the story, though the creators say they did. Manitowoc sheriff Robert Hermann similarly criticized the objectivity of the story. Teresa Halbach's family stated back in November, when asked for their thoughts on the documentary, they were saddened to learn that individuals and corporations continue to create entertainment and to seek profit from their loss.

While the fairness of the views presented in Making a Murderer is debatable, the piece did bring new attention to Steven Avery's case. On December 20th, a petition was created on Change.org to擢ree Steven Avery", and within seven days had collected over 28,000 supporters. On December 22nd, the Wisconsin Innocence Project issued a statement directly in response to the Netflix documentary, stating a member of their Project was looking into some aspects of his case.

Steven Avery has, as the last episode of Making a Murderer explains, exhausted his appeals. No longer entitled to state-appointed defense, Avery is shown requesting his case file himself. With a confession from his nephew implicating him, it seems unlikely that Avery will be able to repeal the conviction this time, even if it was unjust. However, his case has brought a fresh attention to the process of criminal convictions, and helped raise awareness of the dangers of false imprisonment.