Make a Neo Geo controller adapter for the atari 7800

douglie007

n00b
I know its a silly idea, but could I make a inline adapter to make a Neo Geo controller work on the 7800. The problem I have is trying to figure out how to make the buttons work. this pin out is odd.

Pin Color Dir Description
1 WHT <-- Up
2 BLU <-- Down
3 GRN <-- Left
4 BRN <-- Right
5 RED <-- Button (R)ight (-)
6 ORG ? Both buttons (+)
7 +5V - +5v, needs to be connected for the 7800 joystick to function correctly
8 BLK --- Ground(-)
9 YLW <-- Button (L)eft (-)

as you can see the buttons have there own grounds and share a common + that is so the buttons would act as one for the 2600 games. my question is would I be able to to just make the 2 buttons work for the 7800 games but only one work for the 2600 games. I know I could just mod the Neo Geo controller but I like that better then the 7800 :)

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
You can make an adapter to use Neo Geo sticks on any retro 80's console you want (except maybe for Atari 5200 because of its analog stick and phone-like keyboard) because all the stick does is join cables when you press the buttons or move the stick and that's a part of every controller from Atari 2600 to PS4 and Xbox One. Now, regarding your question, you can create the circuit from the Atari 7800 controllers inside a little box having a DB9 female on one side (going to the Atari 7800) and one DB15 male on the other side (going to the Neo stick). Inside you should build the circuit on this page: http://www.epanorama.net/documents/joystick/tvgames.html

Regards.

Regards.